TAWILA (Sudan): A member of Doctors Without Borders (MSF) counts injured and displaced Sudanese who fled violence in Al Fasher and are receiving treatment at a makeshift clinic.—Reuters
TAWILA (Sudan): A member of Doctors Without Borders (MSF) counts injured and displaced Sudanese who fled violence in Al Fasher and are receiving treatment at a makeshift clinic.—Reuters

PORT SUDAN: Sudan’s defence minister said on Tuesday that the army would press on with fighting the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces after the country’s security and defence council met to discuss a US proposal for a ceasefire.

“We thank the Trump administration for its efforts and proposals to achieve peace,” Hassan Kabroun said in a speech broadcast on state television, adding that “preparations for the Sudanese people’s battle are ongoing.”

“Our preparations for war are a legitimate national right,” he said, following the council meeting in Khartoum. No details of the US truce proposal have been made public.

The war, which has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced millions more over the past two years, has spread to new areas of Sudan in recent days, sparking fears of an even greater humanitarian catastrophe.

After mediating in other conflicts in Africa and the Middle East in recent months, the US administration under Donald Trump is now pushing for a ceasefire in Sudan.

The army-aligned authorities had rejected an earlier truce proposal under which both they and the paramilitaries they are fighting wou­ld be excluded from a transitional political process.

The latest discussions follow an escalation on the ground, with the paramilitary RSF appearing to prepare an assault on the central Kordofan region after it captured El-Fasher, the last army stronghold in the vast Darfur region.

People forced to flee El-Fasher have described intimidation and violence from the RSF. Mohamed Abdullah, 56, said he was stopped by RSF fighters while fleeing El-Fasher on Saturday, just hours before its fall.

“They demanded our phones, money, everything. They kept searching us thoroughly,” he said of the RSF. On his way to Tawila, about 70 kilometres (45 miles) to the west, he saw “a body left on the street that looked like it had been eaten by a dog”.

Trump’s envoy to Africa, Massad Boulos, held talks in Sudan’s neighbour Egypt on Sunday with Cairo’s Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and then on Monday with the Arab League. During the discussions, Abdelatty stressed “the importance of concerted efforts to reach a humanitarian truce and a ceasefire throughout Sudan, paving the way for a comprehensive political process in the country”, according to a foreign ministry statement.

According to the Arab League, Boulos met the regional body’s chief Ahmed Aboul-Gheit and briefed him on recent US efforts in Sudan to “halt the war, expedite aid delivery and initiate a political process”.

The so-called Quad group, comprising the United States, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia, has been engaged in months of diplomacy aimed at securing a truce in the more than 30-month conflict in Sudan.

In September, the four powers proposed a three-month humanitarian truce, followed by a permanent ceasefire and a nine-month transition to civilian rule, but the army-aligned government immediately rejected the plan at the time.

In the aftermath of the RSF’s assault on the key city of El-Fasher, reports emerged of mass killings, sexual violence, attacks on aid workers, looting and abductions during the offensive. The International Criminal Court on Monday voiced “profound alarm and deepest concern” over the reports, adding that such acts “may constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity”.

Speaking at a forum in Qatar, UN Secretary-Gen­eral Antonio Guterres on Tuesday called on the warring parties to “come to the negotiating table, bring an end to this nightmare of violence — now”. “The horrifying crisis in Sudan… is spiralling out of control,” he added.

Published in Dawn, November 5th, 2025

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...