Djokovic says players ‘not united enough’ over tennis calendar

Published October 3, 2025
Novak Djokovic of Serbia returns a ball during a practice session ahead of the 2025 US Open at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on August 21, 2025 in the Queens borough of New York City. — AFP/File
Novak Djokovic of Serbia returns a ball during a practice session ahead of the 2025 US Open at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on August 21, 2025 in the Queens borough of New York City. — AFP/File

SHANGHAI: Novak Djokovic said on Thursday that talk about reorganising the tennis schedule has been going on for at least 15 years and his fellow players are “still not united enough”.

The amount of tennis the elite play was thrust back into the spotlight this week after world number one Carlos Alcaraz pulled out of the Shanghai Masters to rest and there were a raft of injuries at the China Open.

Alcaraz and fellow Grand Slam champions Coco Gauff and Iga Swiatek all took aim at the tennis calendar this week and railed against the number of tournaments they play.

Speaking in Shanghai, where Djokovic lost in last year’s final to Jannik Sinner, the Serbian great said it was “very complex” and similar complaints had been going on for years but to no avail.

“More than 15 years ago I was talking about us needing to come together and reorganise the schedule,” said the 38-year-old, a 24-time Grand Slam champion. “It’s an individual sport... at the end of the day you can still make choices,” he said.

However, “there are people who just don’t want to change things in our sport for the better... when it comes to the players’ welfare”, he added.

“Players are still not united enough, or investing enough time and energy into trying to make change happen,” he said.

“You need the top players, particularly, to sit down and roll up their sleeves and really care,” he added.

The Serb starts his Shanghai campaign on Friday against Croatia’s Marin Cilic, ranked 94th.

Djokovic is back in action after a four-week break, having cut back the number of tournaments he plays in order to extend his time at the top.

He last appeared at the US Open in early September, when he was knocked out in the semi-finals by Alcaraz.

Published in Dawn, October 3rd, 2025

Opinion

Editorial

Some progress
Updated 24 May, 2026

Some progress

Pakistan deserves credit for helping preserve diplomatic space, but also must avoid appearing aligned with coercive pressure from any side.
Chinese market
24 May, 2026

Chinese market

PRIME Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s trip to China presents an opportunity to rebalance Pakistan’s economic...
Harvesting humans
24 May, 2026

Harvesting humans

ORGAN brokers have for too long preyed on desperation to rake it in. The odious trade — among the most harmful...
More stabilisation
Updated 23 May, 2026

More stabilisation

The stabilisation achieved through painful growth compression steps could have been used as a platform for structural reforms.
Appalling tactics
23 May, 2026

Appalling tactics

IN Punjab, an encounter with the law can quickly turn deadly. Encouraged by a culture of ‘shoot first, ask...
Failed experiment
23 May, 2026

Failed experiment

IT is going from bad to worse for Shan Masood and Pakistan. It is now seven successive Test defeats away from home;...