QUETTA: The Balochistan Assembly on Thursday passed a resolution condemning incidents of May 9 and demanding that the party which attacked institutions should be banned and declared a terrorist outfit.

During a session of the assembly, provincial minister Sadiq Umrani presented the condemnation resolution on behalf of members Mir Ziaullah Lango, Bakht Muhammad Kakar and Mir Shoaib Nosherwani.

The resolution said that under a well-organised conspiracy to disturb peace of the country, these terrorists did what enemies of the country could not do in 75 years.

While discussing the legality of the resolution, Mir Sadiq Umrani of PPP said the violence of May 9 was an assault on Pakistan’s integrity and it was perpetrated by an individual who was intoxicated with power and who attacked the national identity and symbols. Mr Umrani said PPP condemns all undemocratic actions.

CM says violence was aimed at instigating people against state, army

Speaking on the occasion, Chief Minister Sarfaraz Bugti said May 9 violence was a revolt against the state and its institutions. “On this day, a systematic plan was made to instigate people against the state and Pakistan army.”

He supported the legal action against perpetrators of May 9 incidents and said that elements involved in the attack on defence institutions must be brought to justice.

“People of Balochistan stand in solidarity with the Pakistan Army, and its institutions,” Mr Bugti said.

PPP’s Ali Madad Jattak said after the arrest of a party leader on May 9, attacks were carried out on national memorials, GHQ, Lahore Corps Commander’s House and various other government properties.

He said that when a person associated with former US president Donald Trump’s supporters disrespected a national monument, he was sentenced to three years imprisonment in the US, but in “our country those who were involved in May 9 violence, proudly claim they have done everything, and such people should be hanged”. He said those who had attacked institutions of the country should be punished.

Provincial minister Mir Asim Kurd Gello said it has been a year since the head of a party launched attacks on important installations, including the residence of the Father of the Nation and the GHQ, but no action has so far been taken against those individuals.

He demanded that a judicial commission, headed by the chief justice, be formed to identify all those involved in the May 9 violence and they should be punished.

Published in Dawn, May 10th, 2024

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...