Syria is facing double-disaster, warns UN food agency

Published February 27, 2023
European Union (EU) humanitarian aid arrives on a plane at Damascus International Airport, in the aftermath of a deadly earthquake, in Syria February 26, 2023. — Syrian Arab Red Crescent/Handout via Reuters
European Union (EU) humanitarian aid arrives on a plane at Damascus International Airport, in the aftermath of a deadly earthquake, in Syria February 26, 2023. — Syrian Arab Red Crescent/Handout via Reuters

UNITED NATIONS: Syria faces a double disaster as the areas hardest hit by this month’s earthquake had already been destroyed in 12 years of unrelenting conflict, warned David Beasley, who heads the World Food Programme (WFP), after returning to New York from the devastated regions of Syria and Turkiye on Saturday.

“The impact of this quake will be felt for months and years to come.” 

He urged authorities in both countries to open more border crossings to help survivors of the earthquakes that hit the region on Feb 6. The WFP chief described the situation in Syria as a “catastrophe on top of a catastrophe”, pointing out that the earthquake followed 12 years of unrelenting conflict.

“The areas hardest hit lack the capacity and infrastructure to deal with the impact of a disaster of this magnitude,” a UN report said. 

The WFP’s trucks are providing life-saving supplies to non-government-controlled areas of north-western Syria, but border restrictions limit their access. “Food assistance must get to the people of north-western Syria from all sides, through all routes, without any restrictions,” Mr. Beasley said. “Our trucks are rolling, and this food and other supplies will literally save thousands and thousands of lives.”

A UN video showed Mr Beasley watching a 21-truck convoy carrying 380 tonnes of food into Syria.

Since the border crossing reopened on Feb 13, WFP has supported the crossing of 180 trucks into the northwest. The agency has reached more than 2.3 million affected people across both Syria and Turkiye, but the WFP chief warned that the need was much greater.

Mr Beasley said that during a visit to the Hatay region, in southern Türkiye, he witnessed an “apocalyptic” landscape caused by “incomprehensible” devastation. 

With some 18m people affected across southern Türkiye and north-western Syria, tens of thousands of lives have been lost, and millions upon millions of people have lost their homes, livelihood, and assets, he added.

“While the world has quickly mobilised in support of people here, the impact of this quake will be felt for months and years to come,” he warned.

Ghost town

Mr Beasley said that the Turkish town of Antakya, which suffered significant deaths and massive destruction, was now “almost a ghost town”, with homes, schools, shops, and critical infrastructure damaged and destroyed.

“There is only one way to describe what I saw: apocalyptic,” he said. “Entire neighbourhoods have been flattened, homes destroyed, schools and shops closed, lives torn apart. The scale of devastation here is truly incomprehensible.”

A WFP donation appeal says that the agency requires about $80m for emergency relief in Türkiye alone while $150m is needed to support for six months 800,000 people affected in Syria.

Another $300m is required to maintain WFP’s food assistance programme across all of Syria for 5.5m people every month.

“If this is not received, the UN food programme will be forced to suspend its assistance to 3.8m Syrians within months,” WFP warned.

Published in Dawn, February 27th, 2023

Opinion

Editorial

Rebuilding a dream
Updated 14 Aug, 2024

Rebuilding a dream

"True" independence — and not in the sense of a political slogan — can only be achieved when Pakistan’s children are assured of a better tomorrow.
A general’s arrest
14 Aug, 2024

A general’s arrest

A PAKISTAN Army general who had once seemed all-powerful has been arrested by his own institution for a list of...
No exceptions
14 Aug, 2024

No exceptions

CAREER civil services officer Rashid Mahmood Langrial, who recently became the ninth person to be appointed head of...
School massacre in Gaza
Updated 13 Aug, 2024

School massacre in Gaza

Can Tel Aviv’s assertions that it is ready to discuss a ceasefire really be taken seriously in the aftermath of such bloodbaths?
Bottomless pit
13 Aug, 2024

Bottomless pit

AT a time when the masses are struggling to put two decent meals on the table, the scale of fiscal malfeasance and...
Countering hate in UK
13 Aug, 2024

Countering hate in UK

THE anti-racism counter-protests witnessed across the UK last week brought a moment of relief to the country....