North Korea fires two missiles, warns of strong action over US sanctions push

Published January 14, 2022
A man walks past a television report showing a news broadcast with file footage of a North Korean missile test, at a railway station in Seoul on Friday. — AFP
A man walks past a television report showing a news broadcast with file footage of a North Korean missile test, at a railway station in Seoul on Friday. — AFP

North Korea fired at least two ballistic missiles on Friday, its third test in two weeks, just hours after criticising a US push for new sanctions over the previous launches as a “provocation” and warning of a strong reaction.

South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said it had detected what it presumed were two short-range ballistic missiles (SRBMs) launched eastward from North Pyongan Province on the west coast of North Korea, near the border with China.

Japan's coast guard also reported that the North fired what could be a ballistic missile.

The missiles appeared to have landed in the sea outside Japan's exclusive economic zone, broadcaster NHK reported, citing an unnamed Japanese defence ministry official.

“The actions of North Korea, including the repeated ballistic missile launches, are a threat to the safety of our nation and the region, and they are an important issue for all of international society,” Hirokazu Matsuno, Japan's chief cabinet secretary, told a regular news conference.

The US military's Indo-Pacific Command said while it assessed that the launch does not pose an immediate threat to the United States or its allies, it highlights the “destabilising impact of (North Korea's) illicit weapons programme.”

The two missiles travelled about 430 km to a maximum altitude of 36 km, South Korea's JCS said.

“Our military is tracking and monitoring developments in preparation for potential additional launches while maintaining readiness posture,” the JCS said in a statement.

The launch would be the third since New Year's day, an unusually high pace of missile tests.

The previous two were of “hypersonic missiles,” North Korean state media reported, capable of high speeds and manoeuvring after launch.

In contrast to Friday's tests, each of the earlier launches involved a single missile which was fired from Jagang Province, neighbouring North Pyongan.

Also read: US imposes sanctions on North Koreans, Russian after missile tests

Kim Dong-yup, a former South Korea Navy officer who teaches at Seoul's Kyungnam University, said North Korea could have fired previously deployed SRBMs such as the KN-23 or KN-24.

“It could fit in their ongoing winter exercises while sending a message to the United States through action following the state media statement,” he said.

North Korea defended the missile tests as its legitimate right to self-defence and said the United States was intentionally escalating the situation by imposing new sanctions, state media reported earlier on Friday, citing the foreign ministry.

North Korea's recent development of a “new-type weapon” was just part of its efforts to modernise its national defence capability, and did not target any specific country or harm the security of neighbouring countries, the foreign ministry said in a statement on the KCNA state news agency.

The statement warned of an unspecified “stronger and certain reaction” if the United States adopts a confrontational stance.

'Profoundly destabilsing'

The administration of US President Joe Biden on Wednesday imposed its first sanctions over North Korea's weapons programmes following a series of North Korean missile launches.

It also called on the United Nations Security Council to take action against several North Korean individuals and entities accused of violating security council resolutions that ban North Korea's missile and nuclear weapons development.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the United States had made clear it had no hostile intent toward North Korea and was willing to engage in talks without preconditions, but that the tests were “profoundly destabilising”.

The North Korean foreign ministry said that while Washington may talk of diplomacy and dialogue, its actions show “it is still engrossed in its policy for isolating and stifling” North Korea.

“The US is intentionally escalating the situation even with the activation of independent sanctions, not content with referring the DPRK's just activity to the UN Security Council,” the statement said.

Kim Dong-yup pointed to remarks last year by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un that Pyongyang will approach Washington “on the principle of answering force with toughness, and good faith in kind”.

“An eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth,” Kim Dong-yup said. “North Korea might be saying they'll go their own way without being intimidated.”

Opinion

Editorial

The whole truth
28 Sep, 2022

The whole truth

THE war on truth has never been more relentless than it is today. Authoritarianism is on the rise and purveyors of...
Real-world trolls
Updated 28 Sep, 2022

Real-world trolls

It's reprehensible how PTI supporters now seem convinced that politicians from opposing camps aren't entitled to basic dignity.
Islamabad wildlife
28 Sep, 2022

Islamabad wildlife

PRESERVING biodiversity is low on the list of priorities of both state and society. However, successful attempts at...
Noon leaks
Updated 27 Sep, 2022

Noon leaks

PMO audio leaks are a national security emergency that ought to be investigated at the highest level.
Cipher probe offer
27 Sep, 2022

Cipher probe offer

CONSIDERING the toxic political polarisation in the country, former prime minister Imran Khan’s suggestion that ...
Delaying Doha plans
27 Sep, 2022

Delaying Doha plans

WHEN Doha announced its intention to spend $3bn in different commercial and investment sectors of Pakistan around a...