At least 4 killed, 15 injured in blast on Quetta's Jinnah Road

Published December 30, 2021
A screenshot of the site of the blast near Science College on Quetta's Jinnah Road on Thursday night. — DawnNewsTV
A screenshot of the site of the blast near Science College on Quetta's Jinnah Road on Thursday night. — DawnNewsTV

At least four persons were killed and 15 others injured in a blast near Science College on Quetta's Jinnah Road on Thursday night, officials said.

Balochistan Health Department media coordinator Dr Wasim Baig confirmed the death toll in a statement issued soon after the incident.

Separately, Civil Hospital Quetta Medical Superintendent Dr Javed Akhtar — who had initially said that three bodies and 13 injured had been brought to the hospital — also confirmed to Dawn.com that the death toll from the blast had risen to four and the number of injured to 15.

Meanwhile, Adviser to the Balochistan Chief Minister on Home and Tribal Affairs Mir Ziaullah Langove said the explosion was triggered by a remote-controlled device.

Langove visited the site of the blast and expressed sorrow over the loss of lives.

Speaking to the media, he said, "The Pakistani nation has been targeted in the blast," but those who wanted to disrupt peace would not succeed in their nefarious designs.

He further stated that elements spreading terror could not deflate the nation's morale.

The adviser said "fool-proof" security arrangements had been made for New Year's Eve.

Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Abdul Qudoos Bizenjo also condemned the incident, terming it an "act of terrorism".

In a statement, Bizenjo said he was saddened by the loss of lives in the "act of terrorism", and that those targeting innocent citizens deserved strict punishment.

He expressed dissatisfaction over security arrangements in Quetta.

The chief minister also sought a report on the incident and security arrangements in the city from the Balochistan inspector general of police. He also directed Langove to review the security plan for the city and make security arrangements more effective.

"It is the responsibility of police and security agencies to protect the lives and properties of people. Citizens cannot be left at the mercy of terrorists," he said.

Bizenjo also issued directives for ensuring the provision of proper medical treatment to the injured, further instructing the provincial health minister to oversee the provision of medical treatment to them.

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...