QUETTA: The chief secretary of Balochistan on Friday reviewed measures being taken for the relief and rehabilitation of people who were affected by the Harnai earthquake a few weeks ago.
Presiding over a meeting, the chief secretary said that tents and other relief goods had reached quake-hit areas and distribution of these goods among the people had begun.
“The government is with the victims of the earthquake in this hard time and it will not leave them alone,” Chief Secretary Mathar Niaz Rana pledged.
He said that packets of essential food items should be made for the victims and it should also be ensured that relief items were not given to the people more than once so that all victims got relief goods.
Briefing the meeting on the situation in Harnai, Provincial Disaster Management Authority Director General Naseer Ahmed Nasar said that 17 people had been killed and more than 200 injured in the earthquake.
He said that dozens of mud houses had collapsed and dozens of others partially damaged due to the earthquake, rescue operations had been launched soon after the earthquake and tents, food and other necessities of life had been provided to the victims of the earthquake.
Published in Dawn, October 16th, 2021