Call for withdrawal of cases against Bahria Town protesters

Published June 21, 2021
ISLAMABAD: Activists and supporters of the Sindh Progressive Sangat, Islamabad, raise slogans against Bahria Town Karachi during a demonstration in front of the National Press Club on Sunday.—Mohammad Asim / White Star
ISLAMABAD: Activists and supporters of the Sindh Progressive Sangat, Islamabad, raise slogans against Bahria Town Karachi during a demonstration in front of the National Press Club on Sunday.—Mohammad Asim / White Star

ISLAMABAD: Scores of Sindhi nationalists staged a protest demonstration outside the National Press Club here on Sunday against the Sindh government and Bahria Town Karachi (BTK) for registration of alleged false FIRs against protesters in connection with the June 6 sit-in in Karachi.

The protesters gathered stated that on June 6 the indigenous people of Sindh, whose land had been acquired for construction of BTK, held a peaceful protest outside the gate of Bahria Town. They said the people protesting outside Bahria Town had nothing to do with the violence and fire incident inside the town. But, they added, they were booked in the FIRs to quell their voice.

Rizwan Haider, one of the protesters, said that a large number of Sindh indigenous people and nationalist leaders through a conspiracy, were booked and arrested in connection with the June 6 incident only to quell their voice against BTK.

Demonstrators say those who organised sit-in on June 6 had nothing to do with violence

Holding placards and a banner, the protesters in Islamabad chanted slogans. They belonged to Sindh Progressive Sangat, Sindh United Party and Sindh Action Committee and Awami National Party. They urged the government to look into what they called the false FIRs, saying that the cases were registered under a conspiracy.

According to an FIR got registered by BKT, some nationalist groups, including Sindh United Party, Jeay Sindh Mahaz, Jeay Sindh and Awami Tehreek on May 21 announced a protest against BKT.

The FIR stated that nationalist leaders, including Qadir Magsi, Jalal Mehmood Shah, Sanan Qureshi and Jan Mohammad Junejo, along with 8,000 to 10,000 people, gathered outside the BKT main gate where they delivered speeches against the housing project and incited people for violence.

Published in Dawn, June 21st, 2021

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...