Markets to remain closed on weekends in nine districts

Published March 18, 2021
The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government has ordered complete closure of markets on Saturdays and Sundays. — AP/File
The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government has ordered complete closure of markets on Saturdays and Sundays. — AP/File

PESHAWAR: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government has ordered complete closure of markets on Saturdays and Sundays while on week data shops will shut by 8pm in nine high-risk Covid-19 districts of the province.

A notification issued by home and tribal affairs department on Wednesday said that the step was meant to stem tide of the virus in the districts where cases had risen. All commercial activities in Peshawar, Charsadda, Swabi, Dir Lower, Kohat, Nowshera, Mardan, Swat and Malakand will be closed by 8pm.

All medical services and pharmacies, bakeries, general stores, milk, meat, chicken shops, tire puncture shops, fruit and vegetable shops, tandoor, postal and courier services, petrol pumps, oil depots, LPG outlets and filling plants, agriculture machinery workshops and spare parts shops are exempted whereas hotels will serve takeaway meals.

All types of marriage and event halls, community centres and marquees in the province will remain closed. Only outdoor marriage functions in open areas will be allowed subject to upper limit of 300 guests with strict implementation of standard operating procedure. It said that wearing of face masks was mandatory at all public places.

Lockdown imposed in different areas of Peshawar, Haripur and Bajaur over rising Covid incidence

The implementation of precautionary measures will be ensured in public transport. All public and private offices and establishments will follow the policy of work from home by 50 per cent staff in the high-risk districts. All cinemas and shrines will remain closed throughout the province. All types of sports, cultural and other activities and events will remain banned throughout the province. Parks throughout the province will be closed at 6pm.

The notification said that district administration and police would work in close liaison to ensure adherence to SOP.

Meanwhile, the administration imposed smart lockdown in six areas in view of rising incidence of Covid-19 in Peshawar.

A notification by deputy commissioner said that entry and exit of the localities including Haryana Payan, Larama, New Garhi Liaqatabad Road, New Zaryab Colony Road, Zintara Residences, Charsadda Road and Pishtakhara Payan would remain restricted as a measure to control spread of infection.In Haripur, smart lockdown has been imposed in 24 localities for seven days.

After detection of more than 36 new cases of coronavirus during the last 24 hours, the district health officer recommended imposition of smart lockdown in 24 localities in tehsil Haripur, Khanpur and Ghazi. The localities including Khalabat Township, railway station, Malikyar, TIP Housing Society, Gadwaliyan, Dobandi, Talokar, Sera-i-Saleh and Afghan refugees camp No.6 will remain under lockdown till March 21.

Officials said that there were 85 active cases of corona virus in the district and seven of the patients were under-treatment in hospital while 61 were home quarantined. So far, 54 people have died of Covid-19 in the district.

In Bajaur, smart lockdown has been imposed in several areas following registration of fresh cases of Covid-19.

The assistant commissioner of Khar, Fazal Raheem, told journalists that smart lockdown was imposed in Dag Qillla, Gozano Shah, Naway Kallay, vegetable market and Islam Dheri.

The authorities have also closed down Bajaur Sports Complex for all sorts of activities for unidentified period to control spread of the pandemic.

In Swat, the district administration issued new standard operating procedure in the wake of rapid increase in the number Covid-19 cases.

The order issued by deputy commissioner said that all markets across the district would be closed at 8pm while medical stores, groceries, general stores, petrol pumps, CNG stations, printing presses, spare parts shops, delivery and takeaways would be exempted. Wedding halls, community centres and cinemas will also remain closed for all kinds of activities.

“However, wedding ceremonies can be held in the open with a maximum of 300 guests, ensuring implementation of the remaining SOP,” said the order.

Similarly, food service inside the restaurant would be restricted while service with SOP will be allowed in the open. “Face masks must be used at all public places including public transport. Recreation centres in the district will be closed at 6pm, while sports and cultural events have been banned,” said the order. It said that smart and small-scale lockdown could be imposed if required.

Published in Dawn, March 18th, 2021

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...