LONDON: Top UK broadband and mobile operator BT said on Friday its coverage would remain unaffected by the government’s decision to phase out China’s Huawei from Britain’s 5G network.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson this month reversed his decision in January to allow China’s controversial technology leader to roll out Britain’s fast new data network.
He banned new 5G equipment purchases from January and told operators to strip out existing gear plugged into the nascent system by the end of 2027.
Johnson said the step was a response to new US sanctions on Huawei and not a consequence of diplomatic pressure put by Washington in its standoff with Beijing.
Johnson also did not require companies to remove Huawei equipment from 4G and older networks — something BT had warned would take a decade and billions of pounds to do.
And he gave full-fibre broadband providers until 2029 to remove the Chinese tech.
BT said in a trading update that the cost of Johnson’s reversal to the company fell “within previously reported estimate” of 500 million ($660m).
Published in Dawn, August 1st, 2020