US pushes Taliban to reduce violence as deal enters 'next phase'

Published July 14, 2020
“The US has worked hard to carry out 1st phase of its commitments under the agreement, including to reduce troops & depart five bases,” Zalmay Khalilzad said. — AP/File
“The US has worked hard to carry out 1st phase of its commitments under the agreement, including to reduce troops & depart five bases,” Zalmay Khalilzad said. — AP/File

The United States has said its landmark deal with the Taliban has entered the “next phase” while urging the militants to reduce rising violence to allow Afghan peace talks to begin.

The two sides signed an agreement in February that saw Washington pledge to withdraw all troops from Afghanistan by the middle of next year, in return for the insurgents promising to hold negotiations with the Afghan government to end the decades-old war.

Under phase one, the US said it would reduce troops to 8,600 within 135 days, while completely removing forces from five military bases.

On the 135th day, US Special Representative on Afghanistan, Zalmay Khalilzad, who negotiated the deal for Washington, tweeted that both sides had reached a “key milestone”.

“The US has worked hard to carry out 1st phase of its commitments under the agreement, including to reduce troops & depart five bases,” he said on Monday.

As the deal entered its “next phase”, Washington's approach will be based on certain conditions, Khalilzad warned. “We will press for completion of prisoner releases, reduction of violence [...] & start of & progress in intra-Afghan negotiations,” he said.

Talks between the Taliban and Kabul hinge on a nearly completed prisoner exchange agreed in the deal.

Kabul pledged to free some 5,000 Taliban prisoners in a swap that would see the insurgents release around 1,000 Afghan security force captives. The government has so far released more than 4,000 Taliban inmates, while the insurgents have freed more than 600 Afghan security personnel.

Since the deal was signed, the Taliban have stepped up attacks across much of Afghanistan killing hundreds.

Read: Brutal Afghan attacks highlight limitations of US-Taliban deal

Khalilzad too condemned the violence, saying “large numbers” of Afghans continued to die without a reason, while acknowledging that no American had been killed since the deal.

“Violence has been high, especially in recent days and weeks,” Khalilzad said, condemning a Taliban attack on Monday on a rural office of Afghanistan's intelligence agency that killed 11 security personnel.

“The Taliban's attack [...] contradicts their commitment to reduce violence until a permanent ceasefire is reached in intra-Afghan talks.“

Opinion

No Eid for Sachal
16 May 2021

No Eid for Sachal

All this pain has been inflicted on man by man. When reason fails, this is what man resorts to. Naked barbarity.
US exit: security implications
16 May 2021

US exit: security implications

All indications are that transnational terrorist groups are gearing up to increase their operations in the region.

Editorial

16 May 2021

Riyadh-Tehran thaw

SEVERAL official pronouncements over the last few days have confirmed that efforts are underway behind the scenes to...
16 May 2021

Ruthless evictions

FOR a state to deprive residents of their homes without providing for alternative housing for them is a dereliction...
16 May 2021

Wheat concerns

THE new official projections for provisional wheat output suggest that Punjab may harvest around 20.5m tonnes of...
Eid during Covid
Updated 13 May 2021

Eid during Covid

It is indisputable that our actions now will prevent matters from becoming far worse.
Updated 14 May 2021

Foreign policy gaffes

MIXED messages, retractions and clarifications from the government have become an all-too-common occurrence when it...
Zimbabwe series win
Updated 15 May 2021

Zimbabwe series win

For millions of Pakistani fans, it was a thrilling experience to see their team returning to its winning ways.