TEHRAN, Sept 11: Iran is to build two more nuclear power plants, its new foreign minister announced on Sunday, warning of ‘consequences’ if Tehran is referred to the UN Security Council over its nuclear fuel drive. In his first press conference since taking office, Manouchehr Mottaki also reiterated Iran’s refusal to resume the full freeze of uranium processing it observed during confidence talks with the European Union earlier this year.

“There is no question of returning to a new suspension at Isfahan,” Mr Mottaki told reporters, referring to Iran’s uranium ore conversion plant.

“There is no legal basis to send the dossier to the Security Council. This would be a political move. We do not see a serious sign that this will happen.

“It is natural that such an event will have consequences, but right now I do not want to go into what the repercussions would be,” he warned.

Iran’s decision last month to resume conversion, the precursor to uranium enrichment, has scuttled talks with Britain, France and Germany aimed at winning guarantees that Tehran’s nuclear programme is peaceful.

The country also defied a resolution passed by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) demanding a resumption of the processing freeze, arguing that making fuel was a right under the nuclear non-proliferation treaty (NPT).

Mr Mottaki said Iran would soon invite tenders from companies around the world for the construction of two nuclear power stations — building on a move by the hardline parliament to bolster the country’s claim to a nuclear programme.

Iran argues that it only wants to make nuclear fuel for peaceful purposes even though it has yet to actually build any power plants. A generator at Bushehr, being built with Russian help, is still under construction and will eventually be fired up and operated with Russian fuel.

Iranian officials have said recently that they are in talks with Russia for the construction of new facilities.

Iran’s tough stance has led to threats from both US and EU leaders to ask the IAEA’s board of governors, when it meets in Vienna on Sept 19, to refer its case to the Security Council.

“Referring the case to the Security Council would be a lose-lose game, and we would prefer that this game does not happen. We see a win-win situation, that is where the EU and the international community have confidence and the Islamic Republic of Iran reaches its legitimate right,” he said.—AFP

Opinion

Editorial

Covid funds controversy
Updated 01 Dec 2021

Covid funds controversy

A COMPREHENSIVE and detailed report by the auditor general of Pakistan on the utilisation of Covid-19 funds by the...
01 Dec 2021

Sindh LG law

THE Sindh Local Government Act, 2013, introduced by the PPP to roll back the Musharraf-era local bodies system in ...
Monster of circular debt
Updated 01 Dec 2021

Monster of circular debt

The crisis facing the energy sector cannot be tackled sustainably without taming the many elephants in the room.
New Covid danger
30 Nov 2021

New Covid danger

The government’s messaging around the coronavirus and the potential threat of Omicron must be reactivated.
Updated 30 Nov 2021

Saudi conditions

DECADES of fiscal profligacy have trapped the country in a situation where it not only has to borrow more money to...
30 Nov 2021

Mental health concerns

THE economic and psychological effects of Covid-19, combined with the issues of joblessness and inflation, have had ...