RAWALPINDI: A fire broke out in the basement of Rawalpindi Institute of Cardiology late Sunday night, officials said.
The patients were shifted to different wards after thick smoke spread in the building, including Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Some patients on ventilator were also rescued.
Six fire trucks, three ambulances and two water tankers with 25 fire fighters and rescue workers rushed to the spot to douse the flames, the area police said.
Initial reports suggested that the fire broke out in a commercial bank located in the hospital building at 10.45pm. According to rescue services, no patient was injured in the incident. However, 10 heart patients were shifted to other wards.
Dr Abdul Rahman, district emergency officer Rescue 1122, told Dawn that the fire broke out in the basement of the building due to a short circuit. Shortly afterwards, the smoke filled the building through ducting. “Smoke spread in some wards and also inside the ICU. Windows were smashed to clear the wards from smoke,” he said.
Rescue services said the fire was brought under control with efforts that lasted 45 minutes.
Published in Dawn, May 11th, 2020