BEIJING: Social media app TikTok has taken down accounts that were posting propaganda videos for the Islamic State group, a company employee said on Tuesday, in the latest scandal to hit the popular platform.
TikTok, which is owned by Chinese firm ByteDance, claimed some 500 million users globally last year, making it one of the most popular social apps.
An employee at TikTok said that about 10 accounts were removed for posting the videos.
“Only one of those videos even had views that reached into double digits before being taken down,” said the staffer, who declined to be named.
The videos featured corpses being paraded through streets and IS fighters with guns, according to The Wall Street Journal, which first reported the story on Monday.
The Journal said the posts were from about two dozen accounts, which were identified by social media intelligence company Storyful.
“Content promoting terrorist organisations have absolutely no place on TikTok,” the company said in a statement.
The TikTok platform, which allows users to create and share videos of 15 seconds, is particularly popular with teenagers.
“Unlike other platforms, which are centred around users’ friends or communities, TikTok is based on engaging with a never-ending stream of new content,” said Darren Davidson, the editor-in-chief of Storyful.
In April, TikTok was briefly banned by an Indian court over claims it was promoting pornography among children.
Published in Dawn, October 23rd, 2019