Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

Sri Lanka's defence secretary quits following suicide bomb attacks

April 25, 2019

Email

Hemasiri Fernando says he is taking responsibility for failures of some institutions he headed as secretary of defence. — Photo courtesy: Asian Mirror
Hemasiri Fernando says he is taking responsibility for failures of some institutions he headed as secretary of defence. — Photo courtesy: Asian Mirror

Sri Lankan Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando told Reuters on Thursday that he had resigned, taking responsibility for the suicide bomber attacks on the country last Sunday.

He said that while there had been no failure on his own part, he was taking responsibility for failures of some institutions he headed as the secretary of defence.

He said that security agencies were actively responding to intelligence they had about the possibility of attacks before they were launched.

“We were working on that. All those agencies were working on that,” he said.

The Easter Sunday bombings on churches and luxury hotels killed at least 359 people and wounded about 500.