Balochistan to set up Emergency and Rescue 1122

Published March 1, 2019
The provincial govt decides to launch Emergency and Rescue 1122 service within a month.— APP/File
The provincial govt decides to launch Emergency and Rescue 1122 service within a month.— APP/File

QUETTA: The Baloch­is­tan government on Thurs­day approved setting up of a rescue service, Emergency and Rescue 1122, in Quetta and along with all national highways in the province. The provincial government also decided that a separate directorate and task force would be set up for implementing the project.

The decisions were taken at a meeting presided over by Chief Minister Jam Kamal Kahn Alyani here on Thursday. It was decided that Emergency and Rescue 1122 would be launched within a month.

The meeting discussed matters pertaining to estab­lishment of Emergency and Rescue 1122 in detail. It was observed that launching such a service in Quetta and other cities and towns of the province was necessary. However, it was decided that initially this service would be established in Quetta on experimental basis. It was also decided that a bill would be presented in the assembly in this regard.

The meeting was informed that Emergency and Rescue 1122 would be established on the pattern of a similar service in Punjab and that after appointing 495 people for the service they would be sent to Punjab for training.

The chief minister directed the officials concerned that after launching Emergency and Rescue 1122 within a month, steps should be taken to launch this facility in other cities and towns of Balochistan.

People’s Primary Health Care Initiative’s chief execute Aziz Jamali informed the meeting that work for establishing emergency centres along with all national highways linking Balochistan to other parts of the country would begin soon. These centres would be established in basic health centres available in towns near highways, he said, adding that people received injuries in accidents on highways would be provided emergency medical treatment in these centres.

Official sources said that the Balochistan government had already released Rs340 million for the establishment of emergency centres. The project would be completed in four years and cost Rs4 billion.

Published in Dawn, March 1st, 2019

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...