NYON: UEFA has banned goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon for three matches for comments he made about the referee after Juventus lost in the Champions League quarter-finals in April, European football’s governing body said on Tuesday.

Buffon was enraged by English referee Michael Oliver’s decision to award Real Madrid a stoppage-time penalty during the second leg at the Bernabeu and lost control, screaming at and jostling the Englishman until he was shown a red card.

Cristiano Ronaldo coverted the spot-kick and Real lost the match 3-1 to win the tie 4-3 on aggregate.

“The UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body has decided to suspend Juventus player Gianluigi Buffon for three UEFA competition matches for which he would be otherwise eligible,” UEFA said in a statement on its website.

The 40-year-old Buffon, who left Juventus after 17 seasons at the club, criticised Oliver after the match, saying the referee had been out of his depth, should have been in the stands eating crisps and must have a garbage bin for a heart. He apologised several days later.

Buffon will serve the ban next season if he signs for a club which plays in the Champions League or Europa League.

The 2006 World Cup winner could be playing for Paris Saint-Germain next season. He said on Monday he needed a week before making a decision on whether to head to the French capital or not.

Buffon was facing an automatic one-game ban for his red card.

UEFA also banned AS Roma supporters for two away games after fan violence left one Liverpool supporter in a critical condition ahead of the Champions League semi-final at Anfield.

Roma’s ban for the second match has been deferred under a probationary period of two years, European soccer’s governing body said in a statement. The Italian club were also fined 50,000 euros ($58,330).

Merseyside Police arrested two men from Rome in April after Liverpool supporter Sean Cox was left with serious injuries following an attack.

UEFA also fined Spartak Moscow 55,000 euros ($64,000) and Athletic Bilbao must pay 40,000 euros ($47,000) for fan clashes at a Europa League game in February.

A Spanish policeman suffered a cardiac arrest and died during the crowd trouble. Spartak are banned from selling tickets to their next two away games in UEFA competitions. Athletic must close a 2,000-seat section of their stadium at their next home game.

Published in Dawn, June 6th, 2018

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...