A Taliban suicide bomber killed at least 13 people and wounded several more in an attack on a convoy of Afghan soldiers in Helmand province late Sunday, an official said.
“A suicide bomber detonated an explosive-filled car as the Afghan National Army convoy passed a small market in Nawa District of Helmand,” Omar Zwak, a spokesman for the provincial governor, told AFP.
He added that civilians and forces personnel were among the dead while more than a dozen others had been wounded.
A source working at a nearby hospital told AFP on condition of anonymity that the bodies of 15 victims had been brought to the hospital. Another 19 injured were also admitted, he added.
“The majority of the dead belong to Afghan forces and most of the wounded are civilians,” the source said. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in a WhatsApp message sent to journalists.