PESHAWAR: At least 13 people were killed and 41 others injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up near the entrance of Mardan's district and sessions court on Friday, police said.

Security personnel investigate the site of the attack. ─ DawnNews
Security personnel investigate the site of the attack. ─ DawnNews

The Jamaatul Ahrar (JA) claimed responsibility for the attack.

The suicide blast comes just hours after gunmen attacked Peshawar's Christian Colony, an attack also claimed by JA.

District Police Officer (DPO) Mardan Faisal Shahzad said the attacker detonated a hand grenade before exploding his suicide vest. The bomb contained 8 kilograms of explosive material, the DPO said, adding that security arrangements at the site of the attack helped mitigate the damage.

The DPO said four lawyers and three policemen were among the dead. He lauded the bravery of the policemen who tried to stop the suicide bomber from making his way inside the courthouse.

Residents inspect the site of the suicide bomb attack. ─ AFP
Residents inspect the site of the suicide bomb attack. ─ AFP

"Police fired at the attacker, then the second explosion took place," the DIG said. "The attacker was deterred by the firing. His plan was to get inside," he said.

An emergency has been imposed at hospitals in the area.

People from the legal community have been targeted several times in the last few months.

Last month, 73 people, most of them lawyers, were killed after a suicide bomber struck the emergency ward of Quetta's Civil Hospital. The lawyers had gathered to mourn the death of Balochistan Bar Association (BBA) president Bilal Anwar Kasi in a gun attack earlier in the day.

Residents inspect damage at the site of the attack. ─ AFP
Residents inspect damage at the site of the attack. ─ AFP

The Quetta attack was claimed by Jamaatul Ahrar and the militant Islamic State group, but Balochistan Chief Minster Sanaullah Zehri hinted at the involvement of Indian spy agency RAW.

Explore: 54 voices: What we lost in the Quetta carnage

The attacks in Peshawar and Mardan come a day after Director-General (DG) Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Asim Bajwa gave an exhaustive rundown of progress made against militants in the country's northwestern region in Operation Zarb-i-Azb which was launched in June 2014.

He highlighted that Pakistan had suffered a cumulative loss of $106.98 billion in the war on terror between 2001 and 2015. “We are not doing it for anyone but ourselves,” he stressed.

He said 3,500 terrorists had been eliminated during the course of Operation Zarb-i-Azb, while 2,272 soldiers were and 537 personnel had embraced martyrdom, including 18 officers, 35 junior commissioned officers and 484 soldiers.

Opinion

Editorial

More leaks
Updated 29 Sep, 2022

More leaks

Recent leaks look more like an inside job than the work of a foreign power.
A depressing winter
29 Sep, 2022

A depressing winter

WINTER is on its way, with a massive gas crunch looming as elevated global LNG prices have eroded the cash-strapped...
Great expectations
29 Sep, 2022

Great expectations

CONSIDERING that the Afghan Taliban have been in the saddle for over a year now, the UN has expressed frustration...
The whole truth
28 Sep, 2022

The whole truth

THE war on truth has never been more relentless than it is today. Authoritarianism is on the rise and purveyors of...
Real-world trolls
Updated 28 Sep, 2022

Real-world trolls

It's reprehensible how PTI supporters now seem convinced that politicians from opposing camps aren't entitled to basic dignity.
Islamabad wildlife
28 Sep, 2022

Islamabad wildlife

PRESERVING biodiversity is low on the list of priorities of both state and society. However, successful attempts at...