KARACHI: Chief Minister Sindh Syed Qaim Ali Shah has appreciated achievements of Rangers and Police forces in the ‘targeted operation’ they have been carrying out against terrorists, target killers, kidnappers and extortionists in Karachi.
He directed the law enforcers to further speed up the operation and rid the city of miscreants within shortest possible time.
The chief minister was presiding over a meeting that he convened to review law and order situation and the progress of the targeted operation in the port city at the CM House, a statement issued on Thursday said.
Earlier in the day, Police and Rangers personnel claimed to have arrested at least 30 suspects after conducting targeted operations in different parts of Karachi.
Targeted search operations were carried out in Naseerabad, Pipri, Ghafur Basti, Mehran Town, Daud Goth, Surjani Town, New Karachi, Bilal Colony, Gharibabad, Seaview, and Garden among other areas of the Sindh capital.
Shah said the joint role of Rangers and Sindh Police would go on till the successful completion of the targeted operation.
Full moral, administrative and legal support was being provided to the officials engaged in the operation, said the CM while directing the security officials to ensure protection of lives and properties of the common citizen.
Expressing his satisfaction over the progress so far, Shah said that the good impact of the targeted operation has been reported by the media also.
Taking notice of ‘forcible strikes,’ causing violence and damage to public and private properties, the Sindh chief minister asked the Advocate General to propose necessary legislation to prevent such illegal activities in the future.
Apparently criticizing Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) without naming it, he said that public perception about the forcible strikes was very much adverse and people have fed up and looking towards the government for support and for enabling them to earn their livelihood and send their children to schools in a peaceful atmosphere.
He showed his determination in getting Karachiite out of torment of such forcible strikes and hoped the people and business community would support the provincial government in their own interest.
Chief Minister Shah said that necessary amendments will be made in the existing laws of investigation, prosecution to ensure fair trial, legality of JIT and expeditious disposal of the cases.
He directed the officers to put all the entry and exit points of Karachi under strict vigilance to apprehend the criminals.
The chief minister also agreed with the proposal of handing the operational control of all CCTV cameras in the metropolis to the Sindh Police.
The meeting also formed a committee with Secretary Home, IG Police, Prosecutor General and representative from all law enforcing agencies to nominate the police stations in the city where the cases against criminals arrested by the Rangers should be registered.
Earlier, Inspector General Sindh Police Shahid Nadeem Baloch briefed the meeting about the raids, encounters, arrests and killings of the criminals and recovery of arms and ammunitions since initiation of the operation on September 5.
He said that except killing of two police constables, no targeted killing has been reported so far, and now this heinous crime has been reduced significantly.
Baloch said during the strike on Wednesday, the culprits were arrested on the spot while torching the vehicles, adding that action was taken against the criminals without any discrimination.
Representatives of other law enforcing agencies also briefed the meeting about the ongoing targeted operation in the city.
Provincial Ministers Sharjeel Enam Memon, Dr Sikander Mehndro, Chief Secretary Sindh Muhammad Aijaz Chaudhry, IG Sindh Police Shahid Nadeem Baloch, DG Rangers Maj-Gen Rizwan Akhtar, Advocate General and other officers of concerned departments attended the meeting.