PAF hero is ill

Published Dec 22, 2012 02:39am

DESPITE the chaos and mess created over the years by our so-called leaders, Pakistan has produced fine individuals who make all of us proud. Among them is none other than Air Commodore M. M. Alam, who is undoubtedly one of the greatest fighter pilots of all times and arguably the best in the modern jet warfare era.

Mr Alam is the only ‘jet ace’ (the ace is that the fighter pilot who shoots down at least five enemy aircraft in the air combat) in the history of the world who became an ace in the minimum possible time in a single sortie/mission in the 1965 Pakistan-India war.

He is still the top scorer in the South Asia by shooting down nine Indian aircraft and damaging two. His extraordinary feat of courage and valour literally put our enemy on the back foot though they had a superior air force.

At present the PAF hero is critically ill and is admitted to a hospital of armed forces. Being a retired PAF officer, I know about his ailment and keep praying for his speedy recovery and convalescence.

In the mean time I hope the print media would like to especially write about him and the electronic media to air from time to time programmes about this war veteran. This will indeed motivate our young generation and millions of other Pakistanis who are demoralised due to the present state of affairs.

A country which forgets its heroes can never flourish and goes into oblivion with time.

M. ASIF      Karachi

Javed Hashmi’s choice

WHAT moral authority does Imran Khan have to dismiss Javed Hashmi from the party? Wasn’t Mr Hashmi an elected...

Salute to govt

I SALUTE the patience of the government of Nawaz Sharif in dealing with the demands made by Imran Khan and Dr ...

Advice to PM

AS a citizen, my advice to the prime minister is that he should not resign just because Imran Khan and Dr Tahirul...

Shahid
Dec 22, 2012 07:22am
May God bless him with good health and he gets well soon. People like MM Alam are testimony to the true potential of this great nation. May God bless this nation with more MM Alams, Aameen
Circumbulator
Dec 22, 2012 09:59am
May he live a long and healthy life, he is truly one of our heroes. This nation unfortunately does not acknowledge it's heroes including those who laid down their lives defended it, such is the stae we find ourselves in.
Rashid Sultan
Dec 22, 2012 10:41am
Already in oblivion.
Akram
Dec 22, 2012 11:19am
this nation is breathing because of men like MM alam. we are free because of men like him.
liaqat ullah
Dec 22, 2012 11:26am
there are people who think that the army medical hospitals are not good/poor.althogh i do not have the first hand knowledge. I think he should be treated by a civillian doctor.I remember the day the news had come.May god cure him.
Iqbal Z Khan
Dec 22, 2012 12:47pm
Praying for our hero' health.
Fahad
Dec 22, 2012 12:59pm
Attention Dawn moderators: Please proofread letters before publishing them.
kisapzai
Dec 22, 2012 01:12pm
May 'Allah' bless him with speedy recovery , good health and long life for our coming generation to seek inspiration from him.
Asad
Dec 22, 2012 02:28pm
Thank you very much for writing for such a legendary fighter pilot. May Allah restore his health and make him inspire all of us once again. I'm proud to have given him Guard of Honour when he visited Cadet Colleget Petaro in 1999. When he stepped out of the car we saw a shorter (than average) person, wearing afghani cap and a waistcoat, with short beard and a very normal looking guy. For a moment I thought he's not MM Alam, for I had a grand image of his built and personality. However, when he started moving with the commodore, then I realized that he's the one. Even then I thought that he might have shot the aircrafts in fluke :). But when he took over the podium, it completely changed my perception and proved me absolutely wrong. When he started talking, he exuded so much courage that I can comfortably say that I haven't seen such a courageous soldier in my life. What is extra ordinarily great about this courageous and yet humble legend is that in a lecture of about 2 hours, not even once did he mention or referred to his great achievement of shooting down 5 enemy planes in a few seconds. I believe he spent more than 80% of the time advising us to read read and read. He mentioned that he had more than 5000 books in his library, with most of them already read by him. His valor and partritism was so high that he had told the then Chief of Air Staff that if the war erupts, give me 2 weeks and he was ready to 'teach them a lesson again'. He was close to (or may be more than) 60 at that time. I still get a lot of inspiration from that 2 hours lecture, which sometimes awakens a true spirit of being a muslim and true Pakistani in me. May you live long Sir! This nation is highly indebted to you. Asad.
adam memon
Dec 22, 2012 03:04pm
God bless him and early recoveryfrom his ailment.Our beloved country is proud of him.
SAL
Dec 22, 2012 03:45pm
My best wishes for an early recovery to our great Fighter Pilot of our time, Air Cmdr (r) M.M.Alam. Get well soon Sir. Ameen.
Khan
Dec 22, 2012 04:19pm
We pray for his early recovery. of course he is great legend and roll model .
Tahir Amjad
Dec 22, 2012 04:31pm
Ameen......he is not only a great pride for Pakistan but the whole muslim world..salute to this all time great fighter and hero.. by the way who are these six peoples who disapproved your comments about this great hero..???
Azam Chowdhry
Dec 23, 2012 03:55pm
May Allah (SWT) help him recover and grant him good health. (Amen). Our entire nation is proud of our hero, and I am hoping that he is getting the best treatment.
Mann Singh
Dec 22, 2012 05:44pm
Heroes should be celebrated and honoured. Bravery and patriotism has no boundaries. Respect.
Syed Ahmed
Dec 22, 2012 06:00pm
May Allah bless him with good health
Capt C M Khan
Dec 22, 2012 11:33pm
Thanks Asif for this letter. I was twelve when MM Alam achieved this FEAT. I still remember how proud we were when we came to know about this. TRUE HERO ......A LEGEND.
nhkali
Dec 23, 2012 04:33am
A fighter ace with the guile of a fox and the strength of a tiger. He flew with his wingman on a regular air patrol sortie to monitor the sky for intruders little knowing that he will be creating a world record on that morning in September 1965. Pakistan must learn to take inspiration from and respectfully remember its heroes. May Allah Almighty speed up your recovery and give you a long lasting and healthy life. Salams to M M Alam.
Azfar A Khan
Dec 24, 2012 04:49pm
Air Cdre ( R ) M M Alam is a national asset who created history by shooting down five Indian aircraft in 1965 Indo-Pak War. May God give him long life! He is a source of great inspiration for all of us. We are proud of you, Sir! Air Cdre ( R ) Azfar A Khan, Rawalpindi.