QUETTA: The Balochistan government has suspended its anti-polio campaign in the province in the aftermath of attacks on polio workers in Karachi and Peshawar on Tuesday, an official told DawnNews.
Noorul Haq Baloch, the focal person of Balochistan government on polio, said the campaign was suspended for an indefinite period in Quetta, Killa Abdullah and Pishin districts.
"The reason behind suspension of the campaign is security threat to workers," said Baloch.
He said so far four confirmed cases of polio were reported in Balochistan this year. Baloch said 11 cases of polio 2 virus were reported in Balochistan.
"Polio 2 virus is curable and can be treated within three months", he said.
He said last year 73 cases of polio virus were reported in Balochistan.
The Balochistan Health Department in collaboration with World Health Organization, had decided to restart an anti-polio campaign from December 24 to 28 in Quetta, Killa Abdullah and Pishin districts. The campaign has now been suspended.
A polio volunteer was killed in Eastern By Pass area of Quetta a month ago. His killers are still at large.
Militants have frequently issued warnings to anti-polio teams in different districts of the sparsely populated province of the country.