The company logo outside a Citibank branch at the US bank Citigroup world headquarters on Park Avenue, in New York. Citigroup said it had agreed to pay $590 million to settle a suit by investors who accused the bank of misleading them on its subprime mortgage-based security losses in 2007-2008. The agreement settled the four-year-old class-action suit that arose from the collapse of the US real estate market, which savaged the bank's share price in part due to its heavy losses on collateralized debt obligations. - AFP photo

 

NEW YORK: Citigroup said Wednesday it had agreed to pay $590 million to settle a suit by investors who accused the bank of misleading them on its subprime mortgage-based security losses in 2007-2008.

The agreement settled the four-year-old class-action suit that arose from the collapse of the US real estate market, which savaged the bank's share price in part due to its heavy losses on collateralized debt obligations.

Investors who bought Citigroup shares between February 2007 and April 2008 accused the company of hiding its exposure to the CDO market, so they took heavy losses when it became public and the bank's shares plummeted in value.

Citigroup denied the charges, but said it was agreeing to settle the lawsuit to avoid any more legal costs.

“This settlement is a significant step toward resolving our exposure to claims arising from the period of the financial crisis,” Citigroup said in a statement.

“Citi is fundamentally a different company today than at the beginning of the financial crisis. Citi has overhauled risk management, reduced risk exposures and, through our core businesses in Citicorp, we are focused on the basics of banking, leveraging our unique presence throughout the emerging and developed markets to serve our clients and the real economy.”

The suit said Citigroup masked losses on its holdings of CDOs in 2006 and 2007 as the property market was collapsing.

That helped keep its share price high, above $47 in October 2007, before it plunged to below $2.00 in early 2009 after some $50 billion in asset writedowns.

The settlement only covered a subset of the group of investors who originally sued. The suit previously included investors claiming losses between January 2004 and January 2009, but the claims outside those included in Wednesday's settlement were dismissed by the judge.

New York law firm Kirby McInerney LLP, which represented investors in the suit, called the settlement “a significant recovery relating to the subprime/credit crisis.”

More From This Section

3G and 4G auction to yield $1.3bn, says Dar

The fee would be recovered within five years, and the licence would be valid for 15 years.

16 MoUs signed at business meeting

Over 300 representatives of the private and public sectors from CARs, Afghanistan and Pakistan attended the conference.

Bulls stage spectacular rally of 362 points

Bulls tossed KSE-100 index up by 362.38 points to a high at 29,458.15 in a rally effectively led by foreign investors.

Sindh revenue collection jumps by 23pc

Revenue collection in Sindh between July 2013 and March 2014 stood at Rs23.7bn, witnessing an increase of 23 per cent.


Comments are closed.
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Poll
From The Newspaper
Tweets