“...what I find disillusioning is the humiliating manner in which I was put up as a bait to try and pacify one of the disgruntled stalwarts of Indian tennis,” Mirza said. -Photo by AFP

NEW DELHI: Sania Mirza has accused the India tennis federation of using her as “bait” to placate doubles specialist Leander Paes as discontent continues to rumble over the country's controversial selection process for the Olympics.

The All India Tennis Association (AITA) was forced backtrack and field two men's doubles teams for the London Games after both Mahesh Bhupathi and regular partner Rohan Bopanna refused to play with the country's top-ranked doubles player Paes.

Last Thursday, AITA defused the row by announcing that Paes would partner Vishnu Vardhan while the Bhupathi-Bopanna partnership would remain intact for the July 27-Aug. 12 Games.

The federation also said Paes would partner Sania Mirza in the mixed doubles, something perceived as a compromise for the men's doubles world number seven after AITA's plan to send the strongest men's team on paper came undone.

“...what I find disillusioning is the humiliating manner in which I was put up as a bait to try and pacify one of the disgruntled stalwarts of Indian tennis,” Mirza said in a statement late on Tuesday.

The whole episode reeked of “male chauvinism”, the 25-year-old added, feeling she had been “offered as compensation to partner one of the feuding champions to lure him into accepting to play with a men's player he does not wish to play with”.

“This kind of blatant humiliation of Indian womanhood needs to be condemned even if it comes from the highest controlling body of tennis in our country,” added Mirza, who is based in Dubai following her marriage to former Pakistan cricket captain Shoaib Malik.

AITA president Anil Khanna was not available for comments.

Mirza, who prefers Bhupathi as her mixed doubles partner having won the French Open title together earlier this month, said she was ready to play with whoever she was paired with and it would not affect her performance in London.

“...I can assure all my countrymen that I shall never allow these difficult circumstances to come in the way of giving my very best when the Games begin,” she said.

Mirza, who has dropped to 246th in the WTA singles rankings, won her only tournament at the Hyderabad Open in 2005 and was once ranked as high as number 27 in the world.

More From This Section

IOC accepts Pakistan’s proposal to continue dialogue for resolving crisis

"We hope concrete actions will be taken on the government side as per the agreed roadmap of October 2013."

Ajmal given clearance for Worcestershire stint

“We have given NOC to Ajmal but want him to return in mid-July so that he can be part of team's tour to Sri Lanka.”

Ferrer knocks out Nadal at Monte Carlo

Nadal's 30-match winning streak ended on Friday when the world number one was upset 7-6(1) 6-4.

Trott stressed again, stepping away from cricket

''It is not fair on my teammates or myself to continue when I am unable to function at 100 percent.''


Comments are closed.
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Poll
From The Newspaper
Tweets