MINGORA, Aug 19: The Swat administration on Monday established an emergency cell in the district for dengue control and prevention, and began a campaign to create public awareness of the ways and means to prevent mosquito-borne disease.
The development comes after the detection of six dengue cases in the district. According to the relevant officials, two of the six cases were reported in Mingora on Monday and they were Afzal Khan and Israr.
They said the two had been shifted into the Saidu Sharif Hospital’s isolation ward. The officials said another dengue patient from Mingora, Saeedur Rehman, refused to stay at the hospital and left for home but his condition was not critical.
Dr Wasil Khan, in charge of the medical ward, said dengue patients admitted to the hospital were stable. He said there was no serious threat of the spread of dengue in the district.
Dr Inam, focal person of the dengue emergency cell at the district health offices, said he had requested the director general (health) for kits for dengue screening test. “Around 200 kits will be reaching us tomorrow (Tuesday),” he said.
The focal person said the situation was not alarming but he had already taken the relevant World Health Organsiation and health officials into confidence. He said he had sent samples of 20 suspects to National Institute of Health for dengue screening test. Mr Inam said two dengue victims, including Sardar Ali and Matiullah, were discharged after they wanted to travel to Islamabad for treatment. — Correspondent