‘Fedayeen’ claims responsibility

Published September 23, 2008

ISLAMABAD, Sept 22: A group calling itself Fedayeen-i-Islam claimed on Monday responsibility for the deadly suicide attack on the Marriott hotel.

According to TV channels, a spokesman for the group told Al Arabiya TV in Islamabad on phone about its involvement in Saturday’s bomb blast.

It could not be ascertained if the group had any link with Al Qaeda or Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan.

The interior ministry made no comment on the Fedayeen’s claim. However, a senior government official told Dawn that intelligence departments were investigating the call received by Al Arabiya.

“We have not heard the name of the organisation but we are trying to locate its network,” he said.

Responding to a question, he said it had been confirmed that the call was made from within the country, but not from Islamabad.

He said the investigators had questioned several truck drivers and showed them the video of the dumper truck that hit the steel barrier of the hotel to recognise the vehicle and its driver.

Opinion

Sexual abuse by Israel

Sexual abuse by Israel

Thousands of Palestinian men, women and children are languishing in Israeli prisons in subhuman conditions, with many routinely subjected to sexual abuse.

Editorial

Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...
Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...