NEW DELHI, Oct 28: India’s federal police are investigating elite sleuths for apparently faking the identities of two police informers as Kashmiri militants because the police were required to produce results in the aftermath of a major bombing spree in this city.

Zeenews said on Sunday that the CBI investigations into the arrest of two persons last year described as Al Badr militants of Jammu and Kashmir has pointed to serious loopholes. Some officials may get into trouble over an apparent “fabrication” of evidence.

While the CBI officially maintained silence, Zeenews quoted sources within the agency as saying that the case of two persons --- Mohammed Moarif Quamar and Irshad Ali --- the alleged militants arrested near New Delhi in February last year --- had been taken over by the agency.

The agency was probing the role of sleuths from the intelligence bureau, who figured during its preliminary enquiry initiated at the directions of the Delhi High Court, Zeenews said.

The CBI has alleged that the evidence gathered against Quamar and Ali, who had been working as police informers, was framed by the Special Cell officials, desperate to show results after the blasts in Sarojni Nagar in October 2005.

India had pointed accusingly to Pakistan for the multiple bombings in Delhi.

Faking encounters and exaggerated claims of valour are part of the problem both the police and the army are known to have experienced most of all in Kashmir where huge incentives are on offer for producing the so-called results.The CBI investigations so far has pointed out various loopholes in the charge-sheet filed by Delhi Police against the two, which includes the allegation that Quamar and Ali, both militants of Al Badr militant group, had gone to Jammu and Kashmir to receive arms, ammunition and explosives.

“But there is nothing on record to show that they are the members of Al Badr, particularly when no connecting documents were recovered from them,” according to the CBI report.

Though the police showed them arrested while they were alighting from a Jammu and Kashmir State Road Transport Corporation bus on February 9, 2006, the police did not make any attempt to record the statement of the bus driver and the conductor.

No search was conducted by the police at the residences of the two accused nor did any police team visit and seek help from their counterparts in Jammu and Kashmir to verify their theory.

“As per the police version, the arms and ammunition were delivered by Sheikh Pervej and Faiyaz Ahmed Radar. However, the police did not make any attempt to locate and interrogate them.

“They simply obtained a non-bailable warrant which was returned due to non-existent address,” Zeenews quoted CBI sources as saying.

Opinion

Editorial

More stabilisation
Updated 23 May, 2026

More stabilisation

The stabilisation achieved through painful growth compression steps could have been used as a platform for structural reforms.
Appalling tactics
23 May, 2026

Appalling tactics

IN Punjab, an encounter with the law can quickly turn deadly. Encouraged by a culture of ‘shoot first, ask...
Failed experiment
23 May, 2026

Failed experiment

IT is going from bad to worse for Shan Masood and Pakistan. It is now seven successive Test defeats away from home;...
Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...