ISLAMABAD Pakistan on Wednesday shared with Sri Lanka the findings of preliminary investigations of Lahore suicide attack on Sri Lankan cricket team, which, indicated complete security lapse and involvement of foreign hand, sources in the interior ministry told Dawn.
Adviser to the Prime Minister on Interior Rehman Malik handed over the report to Sri Lankan High Commissioner to Pakistan, Jayalath Weerakkody.
'The meeting was held in a very cordial atmosphere in which latest situation of investigations on attack on Sri Lankan cricket team came under discussion,' the ministry's spokesman said.
'Sri Lankan High commissioner appreciated the law enforcement agencies who gave their lives in protecting the members of Sri Lankan Cricket Team and thanked the government for handling the matter after the issue particularly provision of helicopter and immediate arrangements for prompt and safe evacuation of the team,' the spokesman said.
He lauded the courage demonstrated by the law enforcement agencies in protecting the Sri Lankan Cricket Team and hoped that the two teams will play cricket again in Pakistan and Sri Lanka in future.
The investigation report on terrorist attack on Sri Lankan Cricket team in Lahore on March 3 revealed security lapse that inadequate number of police force was deployed for the security of the guest team.
The 40-point report said there was complete security lapse when 10 to 12 terrorists conducted the attack while the guest team was on its way to the stadium from a hotel. It said police did not reach the site of the attack on time to backup the police party that continued to fight with the terrorists for almost a-half-an-hour.
It revealed that planning and financing of the attack was carried in some foreign country and there are indications that militants fighting in South Waziristan were used by the perpetrators.
At least six policemen escorting the team bus were killed, along with a driver. Seven cricketers and an assistant coach were injured in the attack.
About 12 gunmen were involved and grenades and rocket launchers have been recovered. The incident bore similarities to deadly attacks in Mumbai in India last November.
According to the report, police have so far failed to arrest even a single attacker conducted the attack despite the arrest of five alleged handlers who had reportedly helped the terrorists to carry out the attack.
A white-coloured car that was believed to be used in the attack and was impounded by the police, was sold from Sialkot and then it was brought to Lahore for the attack.
Punjab government has also admitted that it has failed to nab any of the culprits who had carried out the attack.
According to an official report of the provincial government, not a single perpetrator of the terror attack has been put behind the bar yet.
The report viewed the attackers as members of a highly-trained group, and feared that they could initiate more such attacks in near future.
The government report is in complete contrast with the statement of Pakistan Prime Minister's Advisor on Interior Affairs, Rehman Malik, who a day after the attack had claimed that few persons were taken into custody and told media persons that intelligence agencies had gathered sufficient information about the terrorists involved. 'A major breakthrough would be achieved in the next few days,' Malik had claimed.