MANAMA, April 21: Bahrain’s opposition on Saturday reported the first death in protests timed for this weekend’s Grand Prix as the kingdom imposed a security lockdown around the Sakhir Formula One racing circuit.

The body of Salah Abbas Habib, 36, was found in Shakhura village, where security forces overnight “attacked peaceful protesters, brutally beating some of them with various tools and weapons”, said Al-Wefaq, the Gulf state’s largest Shia opposition bloc.

It alleged that “security forces killed him one day before the final round of the F1 races hosted by Bahrain,” without saying how he died.

In a statement, the interior ministry confirmed that “the body of a deceased person was found in Shakhura today” and said it had “a wound to his left side”.

It added that police have begun an investigation into the death, which was being considered a murder.

“The government condemns all acts of violence and will ensure the perpetrators of this crime, whoever they may be, will be brought to justice,” the ministry quoted Public Security Chief Major General Tariq al-Hassan as saying. —AFP

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...