Abdirahman Mohamud Ahmed (L), 26, and Yacqub Khayre (R), 23, leave the Supreme Court in Melbourne on December 23, 2010, after being found not guilty after the three-month trial on charges of planning a terrorist attack. The two men were aquitted, while in the same trial three co-defendants Wissam Mahmoud Fattal, Saney Edow Aweys and Nayef el-Sayed were found guilty of plotting to Sydney’s Holsworthy army barracks with high-powered weapons. –AFP Photo

MELBOURNE: Three men who believed Islam was under threat from Western nations were convicted in an Australian court Thursday of plotting a suicide attack against a Sydney army base.

The men — Australian citizens of Somali or Lebanese origin — were convicted in Victoria state Supreme Court of conspiring to plot a terrorist attack, and could face life in prison. Two other men were found not guilty of the same charge.

The five men were arrested in pre-dawn raids in the southern city of Melbourne in 2009.

Police said the group planned to send a team of men with automatic rifles on a suicide attack against Holsworthy Barracks, an army base on the outskirts of Sydney. Officials said the men were motivated by a belief that Islam was under attack from the West, and planned to keep on shooting until they were killed.

During the trial, prosecutors said the men were upset about Australia’s involvement in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Australia became a staunch US ally in the war on terrorism after Sept. 11.

Prosecutors said one of the men visited Somalia in the hopes of gaining approval for the attack from a cleric. The men were accused of having ties to al-Shabab, Somalia’s powerful al Qaeda-linked militia group.

Had the plot been successful, Australian Federal Police Commissioner Tony Negus said it would have been the most serious attack ever carried out in Australia.

Terrorism is extremely rare in Australia, though dozens of Australians have died in terrorist attacks overseas, mostly in Indonesia, including the 2002 Bali nightclub bombings.

The trial began in September and the jury deliberated for more than five days before returning guilty verdicts against Wissam Mahmoud Fattal, 34, Saney Edow Aweys, 27, and Nayef El Sayed, 26.

Abdirahman Mohamud Ahmed, 26, and Yacqub Khayre, 23, were found not guilty.

As jurors left the court following the verdict, Fattal said: ‘‘Islam is truth religion. Thank you very much.’’ Fattal, Aweys and El Sayed embraced their acquitted co-defendants before they were led away.

Outside court, Ahmed told reporters he was relieved.

‘‘I think justice has been served,’’ he said. When asked about the convictions of his co-defendants, he said: ‘‘It’s unfortunate, but this is God’s will.’’

Justice Betty King ordered Fattal, Aweys and El Sayed into custody. They will appear in court again on Jan. 24.

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...