PTI ready for talks if Imran released, NA told

Published May 21, 2026 Updated May 21, 2026 07:01am

• Lawmaker claims Achakzai invited for negotiations by PM
• ‘Boycotting’ opposition MNAs attend session for sake of Chinese delegation
• Ex-PM Ashraf rejects drug suspect’s claims, offers himself for probe

ISLAMABAD: The oppo­sition PTI on Wedne­sday expressed its willingness to sit with the government to resolve natio­n­al issues, provided its incarcerated founder Imran Khan is released from jail.

“Let us sit together to joi­ntly resolve our problems in an atmosphere where Imran Khan is relea­sed from jail and Mian Sah­ib also comes forward for dialogue,” MNA Ali Muha­m­mad Khan said on the floor of the National Ass­e­mbly, referring to PML-N President Nawaz Sharif.

The MNA claimed Lea­der of the Opposition Mehmood Khan Achakzai had also confirmed receiving an invitation from Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif for dialogue.

“I asked Mr Achakzai to go for dialogue, as the entire PTI will support him so that the talks process paves the way for political stability and resolution of our pro­blems,” he said, adding that the process should also lead to the release of Imran Khan and his wife, Bushra Bibi, from jail.

The PTI lawmaker said the opposition had always shown unity with the government before foreign delegations and on international matters.

We showed solidarity with the government at the time of war with India last year and now during the visit of the Chinese delegation to the National Assembly to celebrate the 75th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Pakistan and China,” he said.

He added that PTI members attended the session despite their complete boycott of National Assembly proceedings in protest against Imran Khan’s imprisonment.

The treasury and opposition benches on Wednesday welcomed a high-level Chinese delegation that visited the National Assembly in connection with the 75th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Pakistan and China.

Although the opposition had already announced it would not join National Assembly proceedings, its members, led by the leader of the opposition, remained in the House during the Chinese delegation’s presence.

The PTI and its founder had previously refused to hold talks with the government on many occasions, calling the ruling coalition “thieves and dacoits”.

Ex-PM rejects allegation

Earlier, former prime minister and PPP leader Raja Pervez Ashraf rejected an allegation linking him to suspected drug dealer Anmol, alias Pinky, saying he had led a “spotless life”.

A recent video of the suspect during a court appearance had gone viral on social media. In the video, she can be heard saying the name “Raja Pervez” before her voice is drowned out by police officials accompanying her.

However, a separate video also emerged in which her lawyer allegedly told reporters that she was being pressured into taking the names of certain politicians.

On May 18, during a court appearance, the suspect claimed she was facing pressure “to take names”.

Speaking on the floor of the National Assembly on Wednesday, Mr Ashraf referred to the video in which he was purportedly named. “However, after 30 minutes, her lawyers, in a separate clip, explained that she was being pressured to take my name,” he said.

The PPP leader expressed surprise over any alleged association with the suspect, saying: “When I heard the name, I thought perhaps it was a different Raja Pervez Ashraf.”

“Soon after the video, people started commenting on the incident on social media and making vlogs about it,” Mr Ashraf said, expressing gratitude to his “family, party leaders and the political opposition”, who he said defended him and vouched for his character.

“I have led a spotless life. I have served as a former prime minister and former National Assembly speaker,” he said. He added that the suspect had also taken the name of “another personality”, saying perhaps this was done to “deflect attention”.

“I present myself for any probe in this regard,” he added, stressing that there should be no “media trial” of anyone before guilt was proven.

Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar expressed solidarity with Mr Ashraf, insisting that the accusation was “so frivolous in nature that no one here would ever pay heed to it”.

“The entire House stands with you,” Mr Tarar said, suggesting that the suspect may have been attempting to divert attention from her case.

He said the matter would be taken up with Information Min­ister Attaullah Tarar and the ­ Electronic Media Regu­latory Authority, adding that “act­ion will be taken at the state level”.

Published in Dawn, May 21st, 2026

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...