• Protesters demand capture of culprits, threaten to bring country to a standstill
• Mobs torch Daily Star, Prothom Alo offices, trapping dozens of staff
• Prime suspect believed to have fled to India; multiple arrests made
• Govt declares national day of mourning; funeral to be held this afternoon
DHAKA: A frontliner of Bangladesh’s ‘July uprising’ and a spokesperson for the political platform Inqilab Moncho, Sharif Osman Hadi’s death triggered violent protests across Bangladesh on Thursday night, including attacks on major newspaper offices.
Hadi, an aspiring independent parliamentary candidate for the Dhaka-8 constituency, was pronounced dead while undergoing advanced treatment at a hospital in Singapore.
“In the struggle against Indian hegemony, Allah has accepted the great revolutionary Osman Hadi as a martyr,” Inqilab Moncho announced in a Facebook post.
In response to his death, Chief Adviser Prof Muhammad Yunus declared a one-day state mourning on Saturday (today). In a televised address to the nation, Yunus said the national flag would be flown at half-mast and that special prayers would be held in places of worship across the country.
Hadi’s death unleashed immediate and widespread protests. Hours after the announcement, demonstrators in Dhaka converged on the Shahbagh area, chanting slogans such as, “Delhi or Dhaka? Dhaka, Dhaka,” and demanding the arrest of his attackers. Later that night, a group of protesters attacked the Dhaka office of The Daily Star newspaper.
Assailants broke into the nine-story building, vandalised property and set fires on the first and second floors. At least 28 journalists and staff members were trapped on the rooftop for nearly four hours before being rescued by the army and fire service.
“I can’t breathe anymore. There’s too much smoke,” Zyma Islam, a journalist at the newspaper, posted on Facebook while trapped inside.
Protesters outside accused the newspaper and another Banglesdesh daily, Prothom Alo, of enabling Hadi’s killing, calling them “Delhi’s lapdog” and “Sheikh Hasina’s enabler,” claims the newspapers denied.
Protests were also held in Sylhet and Chattogram, with some turning violent. In Sylhet, protesters attempted to vandalise a restaurant, and three youths allegedly threw stones at the regional office of Prothom Alo, shattering windows.

Before his death, Inqilab Moncho had issued a stern warning, demanding the arrest of the attackers and threatening a nationwide movement.
“If Osman Hadi responds to the call of his Creator and joins the ranks of martyrs, the oppressed and freedom-seeking people of Bangladesh are requested to gather at Shahbagh to ensure sovereignty,” the platform said, adding that they would bring the country to a standstill. “If the killer flees to India, they must be arrested and brought back at any cost.”
The National Citizen Party, formed by students who led protests that forced then Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to flee the country last year, also warned of possible violence later in the day.
Numerous political parties and figures, including the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and Jamaat-e-Islami, issued statements of condolence and condemned the killing.
Killing and manhunt
Hadi was shot on Dec 12 while campaigning on an auto-rickshaw in Dhaka’s Paltan area. Witnesses said two men on a motorcycle wearing helmets opened fire on him before fleeing. CCTV footage from the area appeared to corroborate these accounts.
“After hearing the sound, I rushed to the road, and saw a rickshaw carrying him away,” said Sakib Hossen, a security guard at a nearby building. “Blood was dripping on the street.”
He was first taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital and later moved to Evercare Hospital as his condition deteriorated.
On Saturday, the government flew him by air ambulance to Singapore General Hospital for advanced treatment, with all expenses covered by the state.
His body was returned to Bangladesh on Friday evening aboard a Biman Bangladesh Airlines flight, with his coffin draped in the national flag.
The investigation into Hadi’s shooting has led to at least 20 arrests and detentions. Police said the prime accused, Faisal Karim Masud, and an associate have fled to India via the Haluaghat border in Mymensingh.
Published in Dawn, December 20th, 2025

































