LOWER DIR: The Jamaat-i-Islami Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (North) emir, Inayatullah Khan, has demanded of the federal government to immediately stop the ongoing military operation in Bajaur, and called for comprehensive talks with Afghanistan, development packages for the merged tribal districts under the 25th Constitutional Amendment, and a national consensus to ensure durable peace.

Speaking at an urgently called press conference at the JI district headquarters here the other day, Jamia Ahyaul Uloom, Balambat, he said that over 100,000 people, including a large number of women and children had so far been displaced due to the operation, while two girls were killed after a mortar shell hit a house.

The JI district chief and former MNA Maulana Asadullah, Dir Qaumi Jirga head and former MNA Sahibzada Mohammad Yaqub Khan, former MPA Haji Saeed Gul, provincial secretary information Engr Hafiz Yaqubur Rehman, district general secretary Shoaib Ahmad and spokesman Malik Sher Bahadur Khan were also present.

Mr Inayatullah said a targeted operation aimed solely against militants was acceptable, but using it as a cover to harm civilians and render them homeless was “unacceptable under any circumstances.” He accused the PTI-led provincial government of “double-speak” — supporting the operation behind the closed doors while opposing it publicly.

The provincial government’s announcement of Rs50,000 compensations per displaced family, he said, was akin to “rubbing salt into their wounds”.

He stressed that military action was not a sustainable solution and urged resolution to tribal grievances through national dialogue.“

He called for improved relations with Afghanistan for a lasting solution, effective enforcement of state writ in border areas, and a ban on militants movement across the frontier.

Mr Inayatullah demanded that all administrative powers be handed over to the civil administration, the Counter-Terrorism Department be equipped with modern technology, police requirements be met on a priority basis, and funds be released immediately.

He said the JI’s welfare wing, Al-Khidmat Foundation, had so far provided relief packages to thousands of affected families and it would continue the assistance drive.

Published in Dawn, August 15th, 2025

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...