PESHAWAR: Two soldiers were martyred in a bomb attack in the Esham area of North Waziristan tribal district, Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said in a statement on Sunday.

Naib Subedar Javed Iqbal, 42, from Attock and Naik Hussain Ahmed, 38, a resident of Okara, were martyred in the improvised explosive device attack that took place on Saturday night.

A clearance operation in the area was under way to eliminate terrorists, the statement added. This is the second attack on security forces in North Waziristan in less than a week. On Sept 19, a soldier embraced martyrdom in an exchange of fire with terrorists in the Dwatoi area, the ISPR had said.

The attackers opened fire on the security forces from inside Afghanistan. The martyred sepoy was identified as Nazar Muhammad, 34, hailing from Balochistan’s Jafferabad area.

Published in Dawn, September 26th, 2022

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...