MANSEHRA: New chairman of the Water and Power Development Authority retired Lt-Gen Sajjad Ghani on Wednesday visited the site of Dasu hydropower project in Upper Kohistan district and said the initiative was likely to begin power generation in the next four years.

“Efforts are under way to complete the diversion of Indus River by next April and if that happens, power generation [by Dasu project] will begin by November 2026,” Mr Ghani told a ceremony at the project site.

Accompanied by the Wapda member (water) and Hazara commissioner, the Wapda chairman examined work on diversion tunnels, main access tunnel, powerhouse cavern, access road, housing colony and contractor’s camp.

Dasu project general manager Anwarul Haq said work had resumed on nine sites after the receding of floodwaters and concerted efforts were being made to ensure the river’s diversion by April 2023 to start work on the main dam.

He said the project would be completed in two stages with the first generating 12 billion power units and the second nine billion units annually.

“Dasu dam will have the highest annual power production in the country with around 21 billion power units,” he said.

NOTICES ISSUED: The Peshawar High Court’s Abbottabad Circuit Bench on Wednesday issued notices to Mansehra deputy commissioner, district police officer and provincial advocate general asking them to file response on Sept 20 to a petition against the detention of Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam-Fazl leader Mufti Kifayatullah and his two sons.

Justice Ijaz Anwar and Justice Wiqar Ahmad issued the notices after hearing Mr Kifayatullah’s lawyers Junaid Anwar Khan and Fahd Habib.

It directed the Mansehra DC and DPO to explain position on the continued detention of Mr Kifayatullah and his sons.

Mr Habib said the police had arrested seven protesters, including Mr Kifayatullah, his two sons and a driver and three traders protesting the electrocution of a nanbai during the district administration’s crackdown on polythene bags on Sept 5, 2022, but all were released except his clients.

MEDICAL TEAMS SENT: Commissioner of Hazara division Mutahir Zeb on Wednesday said the administration had sent medical teams to the flooded-hit Dubair valley in Lower Kohistan district to care for the women suffering from trauma and gynaecological issues.

“The recent flash floods caused massive devastation and led to the spread of skin, stomach and other diseases with women and children being the most affected. We [administration] are striving for their relief,” the commissioner told flood victims in Mahandri area after the distribution of relief goods.

He said the administration had temporarily rehabilitated three basic health units and dispatched teams along with medicines there.

Published in Dawn, September 15th, 2022

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...