Kasur child molestation scandal baseless, says inquiry report

Published August 8, 2015
The provincial minister and PML-N stalwart insisted that the scandal had been created by rival parties who were involved in a fierce land dispute. – File Photo
The provincial minister and PML-N stalwart insisted that the scandal had been created by rival parties who were involved in a fierce land dispute. – File Photo

KASUR: A high-level inquiry committee formed by the Punjab government to investigate allegations of authorities' inaction to check instances of child sex abuse and blackmailing by a gang in Husain Khanwala and other villages in Kasur district concluded that reports of child molestation are baseless.

Senior minister of the Punjab government, Rana Sanaullah, while talking to DawnNews, said the inquiry had concluded that no instance of child sex abuse had been reported, adding that reports to this effect surfaced after two parties involved in a land dispute registered "fake cases" against each other.

Sanaullah said almost eight years ago, incidents of child molestation and videos of such acts to blackmail families had been reported in the area, adding that cases were registered against those involved and the culprits were apprehended.

The provincial minister and PML-N stalwart insisted that the scandal had been created by rival parties who were involved in a fierce land dispute.

The inquiry, sanctioned by Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, was conducted by Additional Inspector General Arif Nawaz Khan and Commissioner Lahore Division Abdullah Sunbal.

A pitched battle between police and protesters had left 25 people, including two DSPs, injured near Dolaywala village along Deepalpur Road in Kasur on Thursday.

Hundreds of people hailing from Husain Khanwala and other villages demonstrated against police for their alleged failure to smash a gang suspected of raping hundreds of children and extorting money from their parents by blackmailing them through videos.

Read: Child sex abuse case: Protesters clash with police over 'failure' to catch culprits.

Details of the child sex abuse scandal were reported by local media, with some reports saying that 280 children were molested by a gang, which also made around 400 videos of children, later using them to blackmail families and receiving money from them.

While the provincial government has now downplayed the scandal, protestors were still out on the streets in Kasur, demanding that the culprits, some of whom they say are at large, be apprehended immediately.

Opinion

Editorial

28 Nov 2021

Creating superbugs

THE tendency to pop antibiotic pills at every sneeze has brought us to the brink of a disastrous health crisis. For...
28 Nov 2021

Channel tragedy

THE responses of the French and British governments to the biggest human tragedy in the English Channel in recent...
27 Nov 2021

Supporting ECP

ALTHOUGH the government bulldozed legislation on electronic voting machines through parliament, the reality is that...
27 Nov 2021

Forgiving the Taliban

IF there is one takeaway from Thursday’s gathering of more than 1,000 Shia Hazaras in Kabul, it is the call given...
Living in fear
Updated 27 Nov 2021

Living in fear

THE registration of a blasphemy case against four members of a family from a village on the outskirts of Lahore has...