Launched operation upon failure of talks: Pervez Rasheed

July 08, 2014

Email

Federal Minister for Information & Broadcasting and National Heritage Senator Pervez Rasheed. — Photo by APP
Federal Minister for Information & Broadcasting and National Heritage Senator Pervez Rasheed. — Photo by APP

ISLAMABAD: Federal Information Minister Pervez Rasheed said on Monday that the military operation against militants in North Waziristan tribal agency was launched after the complete failure of peace talks between the government and Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).

Talking to a private television channel the information minister said that the economy of Pakistan was improving and would not be affected by the ongoing Zarb-i-Azb operation.

Rasheed said that due to the strategy adopted by the government there had been a decline in terrorist activity in the country and added that the Pakistan Army was conducting its operation with success and would continue till the elimination of last terrorist in the region.

"The residents of areas under Taliban control were not able to run their businesses nor send their children to schools. They could not even vaccinate their children against polio," added the information minister.

Rasheed admitted that internally displace persons (IDPs) living in camps had to face hardships as there could not be any alternate to their peaceful abode.