I have brotherly relations with Misbah: Hafeez

Published Mar 13, 2013 03:27pm

mohammad hafeez, pakistan training, misbah-ul-haq, pakistan cricket, pakistan's tour of south africa, pakistan south africa, pakistan south africa odi series, pakistan south africa odis, pakistan south africa, hafeez misbah
All the players are like a family and are supportive of each other: Hafeez -Photo by AFP

Pakistan’s Twenty20 captain Mohammad Hafeez rubbished rumours of a rift between himself and ODI and Test skipper Misbah-ul-Haq and called upon the media in the country to act responsibly.

Hafeez also scoffed at suggestions that he was interested in securing captaincy in all three formats.

“I have brotherly relations with Misbah that will always remain so. I have no obsession to become captain as my only motive is to represent Pakistan. Captaincy cannot be snatched. Hatching conspiracies have never been part of my career. All the players are like a family and are supportive of each other,” Hafeez told the Express Tribune.

Just days earlier, Pakistani media reported a serious dispute between one-day captain Misbah-ul Haq and Twenty20 skipper Mohammad Hafeez over the selection of the team.

“Misbah and Hafeez have developed serious differences over the selection of the final eleven and it has come to an extent that both are not on talking terms,” a leading Urdu newspaper reported, quoting sources in the team.

Former paceman Sikander Bakht said Hafeez wants to displace Misbah as one-day captain.

“Hafeez scored 86 in the Twenty20 win so he must be flying high and now wants to take over as one-day captain,” Bakht said in a television interview, referring to Hafeez's match-winning knock in Pakistan's 95-run win at Centurion last Sunday.

But the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said it conducted an inquiry with the team management and found the reports were baseless.

“The PCB high-ups launched a thorough inquiry, contacted the team management in South Africa and it was discovered that no such disagreement whatsoever existed amongst the think tank, or between Misbah and Hafeez,” the PCB said in a statement.

Hafeez also shot back, asking the media to state facts.

“I request the media not to put its personal opinion or belief in the news,” he said.

The opener also denied that he had issues with Misbah over the batting order.

“I am ready to play even at seventh position if my captain and coach want me there. My priority is the team; I am ready to perform in any role.”

junaid
Mar 13, 2013 04:12pm
This kind of cheap journalism is only to create suspense and sell more newspaper. If I was in place of Hafeez, i would not have answered such foolish questions because that provides them more material to sell.
ahmed2030
Mar 13, 2013 07:29pm
Thats more like it. I never believed that there was a serious rift between the two. Our media sometimes sounds more like our enemy's media. Time for media to create unity and trust instead of distrust and chaos. The sooner our media realizes this the better. In US, UK, India, I have seen media staunchly following the overall establishment's line even if it defies logic, only because to them strategic line taken by their govt is beneficial to the country . Not so in our case. I would like to see some more patriotism and positivity from our media.
Mustafa
Mar 13, 2013 07:34pm
Hafeez did the sensible thing
Riz - US
Mar 13, 2013 07:40pm
Hafeez, I would suggest to concentrate on your game instead of making relationships in the team (family, brotherly etc). Calling someone "bhai" doesn't mean nothing if someone keeping a grudge in their hearts. One thing I would like to suggest to the team management to take the "bhai culture" out of the equation and insert some professionalism.
Bbbb
Mar 13, 2013 11:06pm
I fully support Haffez and Misbah. The media should act responsibly, and hope that we, the Pakistan team does not do an Australian somersault (The way Australian team imploded in India).
Nadeem Mirza
Mar 14, 2013 01:06am
For God sake leave politics out of Pakistan cricket. We are already sick and tired of all Pak polticians and government. Just play for your country whole heartedly and sincerely. That is only way we will get somewhere.
anony
Mar 14, 2013 02:37am
Media is REDICULOUS in spreading such rumors. They should be ashamed of themselves. They just want to publicize a lie by making their papers sell more and their tv channels watched more. Its pathetic.
avid_supporter
Mar 14, 2013 02:37am
Keep up the good work Hafeez, Misbah and the rest of the team. We are proud of you.
Bablo
Mar 14, 2013 12:52pm
Yes "brotherhood' flows in Pakistan cricket team. Thanks for the humor.
mike jackson
Mar 14, 2013 06:20am
Lets be honest Hafiz .. this is all a bunch of bs. You want to be the 1 day captain.. so does Misbah ..so there is a personal conflict of interest between the two of you. Now personal goals are always important to some folks and understandably so . Take for example Salim Malik , Ijaz Ahmed , Asif ,Amir , Butt , the Akmals . I wonder if this is some kind of biogenetic predisposition .. perhaps for some other time. Incidently if personal motives sacrifice national interests its not treason ..no matter how treacherous it gets ...Ghaddar any one !!! In some parts of the world you guys could be tried for treason . Regards Mike
Fuzail Z. Ahmad
Mar 14, 2013 08:35am
Hafeez we love you for these comments. We also expect better performance in the remaining 4 ODI's and if the team spirit is there, that is one adversity out of the way.
Tahir
Mar 14, 2013 10:09am
We'd much prefer a good, working, professional relationship. Let's not exaggerate even if it's your culture.