25 July, 2014 / Ramazan 26, 1435

Security lapse at airports

Published Jan 11, 2013 02:59am

THESE days when there are acts of terrorism, killing and carnage almost on a daily basis, I was flabbergasted to observe lax, rather I would say criminal lack of security, at both Islamabad and Karachi airports, when I returned home from Islamabad recently.

At Islamabad, my flight was delayed by about an hour and as soon as the boarding announcement was made, I simply walked out of the departure lounge and nobody bothered to check whether I had a boarding pass or not.

When the plane landed at Karachi, my eyes popped out in amazement at the sight of a tea seller who was waiting with his bicycle, deep inside the airport perimeter, right by the side of the runway. As soon as our plane passed him, he hopped on his bicycle and calmly pedaled across the runway to the other side.

So with this kind of security arrangement, it is not at all surprising terrorists successfully manage to attack sensitive installations with such regularity. Whoever is responsible for airport security needs to be taken to task.

HILAL AHMED Karachi

Govt publicity stunt

THIS is with reference to the news item, along with a group photograph, ‘A Rs200 million photo op’ (July 19)....

National languages

This is apropos the editorial ‘Status of mother tongue’ (July 18) on giving regional languages national status....

Gerry D'Cunha
Jan 11, 2013 07:03pm
you are absolutely right Chaiwala could be an employee offering tea to the guards. He should be realistic when reporting - karachi airports has a very good security system, and I suppose other airports in pakistan as well.
Agha Ata (USA)
Jan 11, 2013 07:07pm
Talking about the tea seller, maybe he did have a boarding pass. As nobody checked you, and the same way, nobody checked him. That?s all.
Edwardian
Jan 11, 2013 12:27pm
Passenger seats have a very limited view. How could you have a detailed view even behind the airplane when the cyclist crossed the runway after the aircraft passed him. Chaiwala could be an employee offering tea to the guards. Be realistic please.
traffic
Jan 11, 2013 12:51pm
May be you are right but as what i know security (ASF)Has Always Check The boarding pass to make sure that is it security stumped or not..But Appreciated that You have raise Your finger On Security and The security of Islamabad airport is so much pathetic and i flabbergasted most of Times when aircraft was ready to take off because it's a little distance between runway and main chaklalah road.Even any one can throw a stone towards the aircraft and that stone will defiantly touch the body of aircraft..
Irtiza
Jan 11, 2013 07:45am
What are you talking about, man? I was at Islamabad airport just a couple of days back for an international flight and my luggage got opened and checked twice, then passed through a scanner once again, and an additional scan just for my hand carry after passing immigration. Then there's this ASF bloke who stamps my hand carry tags and boarding passes, which are then checked before letting me board the plane. No other country in the world has these kind of checks, and I've been to quite a few.
rana
Jan 11, 2013 03:33pm
@irtiza..........please read the article carefully.Hilal said inside the perimeter near the runaway there was a tea seller on a bike! which means anyone can enter that area so can a terrorist
Siddique Malik
Jan 11, 2013 07:53pm
I think you are making mountain out of mole. You were already in the departure lounge, and you must have been security-checked before you entered it. Not checking the boarding pass is a logitical issue for the airline, not a security lapse. And how do you know that the tea seller had not been security checked before he gained access to the runway? Again, it is an administrative matter, not a securoty lapse. Siddique Malik, Louisville, Kentucky, USA.
Zeeshan Shamsi
Jan 12, 2013 03:48am
Hard to believe. Security at all the airports is thorough and meticulous. Maybe you fell asleep in the place and used your rather vivid imagination.