20 September, 2014 / Ziqa'ad 24, 1435

If you ever came across an Urdu digest, the most intriguing part of it would be the cover illustration for each story. Over the years I have seen my parents buying Jasoosi Digest, Dosheeza, Khawateen Digest, and Akhbar-e-Jahan, and I always admired the work by those artists. Looking at this art has also made me wonder why their work remains in those monthly digests only and is not exhibited in public to be able to viewed by a larger audience.

For the first time that I know of, an exhibition of artworks by six artists titled ‘Urdu digest illustrated’ opened at ArtChowk. Artists Imran Zaib, Inam Raja, Shahid Hussain, Shaista Momin, Zakir Hasan Chishti and Zulfiqar Azeen displayed their work with women being the central character of the show, transporting the spectators to the land of films, heroines and detectives.

The exhibition will run everyday at Art Chowk, excluding Sundays, between 11am and 7pm until January 12. (Text and photos by Eefa Khalid)

Address:  Suite#102,1st floor, Clifton Centre, Schon circle, Service Lane, Karachi, Pakistan

Artist: Shaista Momin
Artist: Zulfiqar Azeem
Artist: Zulfiqar Azeem
Artist: Shaista Momin
Artist: Shaista Momin

Huma
Jan 07, 2013 11:03am
i wish the author had written the name of each artist with the pics in the slideshow.
chishti
Jan 07, 2013 12:43pm
It is amazing stuff. Why can't pakistan's film industry take notice and use these plots to create a blockbuster sequel? Is there anyone creative director left to take advantage of some of the most juicy plots.. Imran series novels is another great example of art that can be brought to theater.
Kashif Bashir
Jan 07, 2013 12:14pm
Absolutely, its tremendous work that has been ignored after publication of any digest, unfortunately we have forgotten to read stories, what were the reasons including other ways of entertainment, internet, cable tv etc. we have to revive some values, same case is happening with film port designers.
Neer Nayan
Jan 07, 2013 06:30pm
Amazingly interesting short article by respected Eefa Khalid, blessed for sure with an amazing 'eye-with-a-heart'! The very beginning of the article brought to this commoner's flash-back the truly live art work accompanying most of the stories in Urdu magazines like "Shamma" and "Beesawin Sadee" and in most Hindi/Punjabi news-papers here in India. In fact, though it used to be, and still remains, an up-hill task to read and understand the words in Urdu, in the absence of any primary formal knowledge of the sweet language, the pen-and-ink sketches got so engraved in my person that drawing these has always remained an outlet for this commoner's thoughts. What an excellent and novel idea to exhibit this great form of Art! Thanks!
Nasir
Jan 07, 2013 10:37pm
When I used to read jasosi, suspense, etc. I always marvel at the art. You can see it and wonder what exactly is going on there and how is the art is related to the story.
Rizman
Jan 08, 2013 03:41am
BRAVO
bardas
Jan 07, 2013 03:41pm
Well done Eefa, I have often wondered about the same thing, so happy to see Inam Raja's work too...i used to go to his house in nazimabad all the time to see his work and his brother's work as well, now its all memories since I now live in chicago...keep up the flames of love and warmth...
bardas
Jan 07, 2013 03:38pm
take a look Huma, pay attention, it's written....Inam Raja is the best....
Cyrus Howell
Jan 09, 2013 08:54am
There have been many talented artists in Pakistan. I remember a Pakistani woman in London who was trying to get an audience with Queen Elizabeth. According to her (and I believe it) she could visually study a person for ten minutes, go back home and do the portrait.
Gumnaam
Jan 08, 2013 09:07pm
Well done Eefa, I have often wondered about the same thing. Good to know the name of these "gumnaam artist". Credit be given where its due.
S. A. M.
Jan 09, 2013 04:10am
Beautiful Art. The beauty lie in its originality. I liked Azeem's work.