Photo by Eefa Khalid/Dawn.com

I landed in Dubai towards the end of September 1975. That was the time when apart from construction workers, talented young men from Pakistan comprising bankers, insurers, engineers, doctors and other professionals were still migrating from the country in search of greener pastures. Banks and Life Insurance along with several heavy industries had earlier been nationalized by the Bhutto regime leaving behind a large group of talented professionals whose services would be welcome in any country in search of talented manpower, particularly the oil rich kingdom of the Middle East. The Arabs were indebted to Bhutto for teaching them to use their new found oil as a weapon against the West and to face the Western world with dignity and so they were more than happy to reciprocate by offering jobs to Pakistanis in their country.

The Trucial states in the Gulf which had just gained independence from British rule united to form the United Arab Emirates under the dynamic leadership of Shaikh Zayed Al Nahyan in Abu Dhabi and Shaikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktum in Dubai. The rest of the seven emirates of Sharjah, Ajman, Umal Quwain, Ras Al Khaima and Fujairah all had their respective leaders but lacked the financial strength and the vision of Sh. Zayed and Sh. Rashid. Both were actually Bedouins but tribal leaders who loved their country and its people.

Dubai has been my home for the last 37 years and I would love to stay here as long as I can. This country has given a lot of opportunities to the Pakistanis with whom rulers of the UAE have always had a soft corner. All of them had houses in Pakistan and their holidays were spent on hunting trips to Pakistan. Quite a few of them speak fluent Urdu but sadly few Pakistanis have learnt to speak Arabic. Agha Hassan Abedi, founder of BCCI who had a strong influence on the Arab leaders, was clearly instrumental in bringing UAE and Pakistan closer. He taught his people how to deal with the Arabs, how to talk, dress and present themselves to the outside world. As far as I remember, every single Arab had an account in BCCI and always took pride in dealing with the Pakistani bankers. There was so much of Arab investment coming to Pakistan that Indira Gandhi reportedly asked in one of her Cabinet meetings, “If Pakistan can have an Abedi why can’t India have one?”

Those were the days when Saigols, Valikas, Adamjees, Gokals all had prominent offices here. Arabs looked upon Pakistan with pride and Pakistan continued to play an active role in the economic boom in the UAE. Unfortunately this did not continue for long. Bhutto’s departure from the scene greatly upset the Arabs who had no room for the new military regime. This was followed some years later by the debacle of the BCCI which completely shattered the Arab world, which lost all trust and faith in Pakistan. Over the years, the Pakistani work force greatly reduced and was substantially replaced by the Indians and Far Eastern workers.

Could the situation have been corrected? Not by the leaders but definitely by the Pakistanis still living in the UAE. The Pakistani missions in the UAE did nothing to correct the situation as the diplomats were busy only in receiving VIPs coming to Dubai on shopping trips with their families. The Pakistani community always had a serious attitude problem and was looking for short-cuts at every stage. I had been a member of the Pakistani Professional Forum but left it soon as it did nothing to interact with other forums, which was one of its purposes. Having a dual citizenship, I am also an active member of the Canadian Business Council which meets at least twice a month for discussions on various topics particularly on how to bring in Canadian investments to Dubai. We work closely with the Canadian Consulate here who give the forum their full support. Recently we had a joint meeting and a get-together comprising 17 Business Councils from 17 different countries. I noticed several deals being made and visiting cards being exchanged for follow up. The only country missing was Pakistan which deeply saddened me to see the absence of my own country.

Dubai is a wonderful place to live in – I would honestly say the best in the Gulf. My Canadian friends have often asked me what it was like being amongst the Arabs for so many years. My answer to them was to know the Arabs you have to live with them and I have lived them for 37 years. I cannot speak for the rest of the Arab world but can certainly say that local Arabs in UAE are the most talented and wonderful to live with and they interact with the expatriates with open arms. We celebrate Eid, Diwali, Christmas, Nauroz, New Year and even Halloween with great pleasure. I live in a gated community comprising families from several countries and right now as I write I can see the glow of Diwali lights in my neighbours house. Our closest friends are the Indians who have stood by us at every stage. Unless the Pakistanis come out of their shell and learn to mix around and interact with other communities, they will lose their identity.

Iqbal Mankani_80x80

Celebrating failure

The over glorification of success is detrimental to our children, given today’s world where little is black and white.

Attack on Hamid Mir: You have the right to remain silent

Our budding forensic investigation experts have already decided who the triggermen in the attack on Mr Mir are.

Celebrities in Indian politics: The dance of democracy

The 2014 Indian Elections happen to feature a record number of Bollywood celebrities contesting across parties.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier – just another sequel

Being an obligatory sequel in a much bigger thread of Marvel movies, it is made with the intention of being undemanding.

Comments are closed.

Comments (81)

Usman
December 5, 2012 1:26 pm
I am a Pakistani ex-pat residing in Dubai and completely agree to the views expressed in the strongly-worded article above.
Mark
December 2, 2012 1:52 pm
"The debacle of the BCCI which completely shattered the Arab world, which lost all trust and faith in Pakistan" It seems that Mr Iqbal has no idea what happened with BCCI.
Jay
December 2, 2012 3:30 pm
I have lived in UAE for 10 years and it is really a terrible place....Arabs are racists and brutal to expatriates....who says they are good...they were never good and never ever would be
John F
December 4, 2012 9:52 pm
Dubai does not have oil.
John F
December 4, 2012 10:17 pm
"Arabs in UAE are the most talented and wonderful to live with and they interact with the expatriates with open arms" I think everyone has missed the sarcasm the writer is trying to convey. And as far as celebrating Diwali etc, I wonder how many native Dubai Arabs joined in?
Nina
December 3, 2012 7:13 pm
Isn't that true for everyone, including Arabs?
Skaukat Farooq
December 3, 2012 3:00 pm
The success story of a successful person.Dubai indeed is a wonderful place.It is also true that PakistaniProfessionals were highly respected as heads of organizations of well known business groups in late seventies and mid eighties but they failed to share the vision of UAE enterpreneurs and started to loose ground to other nationalities and now they are mostly at middle level or less.It is too late to rebound.Our duty today is to rebuild pakistan our homelnd.You have very little time left Mr Iqbal.Please give it to pakistan without considering what pakistan will give you.I sincerely hope you are not already CANADIAN.
Faisal Roy
December 3, 2012 5:05 pm
This article is filled with exaggeration. The writer claim to spend 37 years and yet he had nothing to say about citizenship policy of the country. If you spend 5 years in US, you are considered loyal to the country by getting citizenship.
Raj
December 4, 2012 1:35 pm
Let the oil finished and they will be slave again in nextt 100 years.Because America is not using it's oil reserve to the fully extent and buying cheap from middle east. Once the middle east reserve finished then they don;t have any other source of energy will have to depends on US for alternative energy source and then become slave again if they don't find the alternative energy source and the technology to use it.
AK
December 4, 2012 3:01 pm
A Little exagerated, I have also lived in UAE. Pakistanis are considered 5th grade citizens. First Locals offcource, then Eurpeans, other Arabs, Indian, Pakistan, Bangl etc. Racism is everywhere even in Pakistan, various nationalities. If you survive without taking any major collision with their laws and regulation you may survive even more. But I have seen people who lived there 20+ years but were skeptical about what would happen tomorrow.
arpan
December 2, 2012 8:38 am
I thought Arabs were great friends with Zia. Matching dollar for dollar is what I heard.
khanam
December 3, 2012 2:34 pm
A wonderful piece of writing. I agree with the writer. I live and work in Dubai for more than 5 years now. I find most of the Locals in Dubai friendly and helpful comparing to other Arab countries. If you speak Arabic, you are most welcome, If you can't they will reply to you in Urdu or English whichever you prefer. I feel secure here. My life, my family's life, my investment, all is in safe hands. I left Pakistan in 2001. Infact it would be better to say I ran away from Pakistan in 2001. I lived in Ireland and UK for over 5 years. I feel like coward but there's nothing much I can or could do to change the fate of Pakistan. Anyone sincere is killed or is being put behind bars. Just recently, few months back a group of people, comprising around 15 broke into my house in Karachi, made them hostage on gun points and robbed them. This is not my Pakistan. My Pakistan was supposed to be a safe heaven. Where prosperity and friendship has to be an exemplary for the world. Rather it is turning to be insecure, ruled by corrupt politicians, criminals wandering around our streets, police terrorizing good citizens, So called Taliban jeopardising our society values, Army sitting quite in their barracks. This is not my Pakistan
M Khan
December 5, 2012 5:32 am
I have now lived in Dubai for 1.5 years. I met a cab driver from Peshawar Pakistan who had spent 40 years in Dubai and was soon returning because his work visa could be extended no more as he was turning sixty something.... The writer has exaggerated things a bit. If he was so happy in dubai why has he taken a candian nationality??? Yesterday I was checking Top dubai brands and out of dozens of companies both multi-national and local not even single company unfotunately had a Pakistani ceo/cfo/cco/cmo... I think in Dubai levels for every nationality is clearly defined. Top management for westerners/mainly british and locals. Second layer can be anyone but mostly its arab speaking/labanese/egyptians/palestinians/ by chance 1 or 2 pakistanis and maybe more indians may show up here. Middle management is totally indians and pakistanis. labour is all indian, bengali, philipino, and pakistanis (e.g 90% of cab drivers are pakistani pathans). yes dubai is better in terms of living, it has first of all security, and then ofcourse the other necessities of life.. BUT it also has the highest rate of heart attacks in the world among middle aged men. also one can live 50 years in dubai but can one become a citizen? Also the author forgot to tell that 25% of Pakistani immigrants in canada live below the poverty line. They live in Slums...
Feroz
December 2, 2012 10:39 am
These same UAE Arabs also fanned the flames of extremism in far off lands of Afghanistan and Pakistan, bought off their rulers and hunted the wildlife there to extinction. They also gave refuge to drug peddlers, counterfeiters and criminal fleeing justice -- no I am not taking names. Why no credit for that ?
Ozair mustafa
December 2, 2012 7:29 am
We have been very lucky to live in uae , I have personally witnessed the progress for last fifteen years.UAE is like home for a million PAkistanis.I personally admire the management skills and unity of the leaders of this country.We have to salute SHeikh Zayed for his vision and uniting the people.UAE is a blessing for PAkistanis , and infact the prosperity of UAE defnitely have a huge impact for PAkistan. Salute to UAE and great leaders and lovely people
Abdul Majid Alvi
December 4, 2012 4:50 am
Writer should also speak about UAE's ban on Canadians travelling to Dubai. Visa has complicated travel to Dubai which makes it difficult for Canadian to interact with their counterparts.
janan
December 4, 2012 4:29 am
may be ... but without visa they will kick you out in no time :)
mo
December 4, 2012 4:29 am
You ran away in 2001 when the situation was a million times better. Today, in 2012, under our famous political party rule, the situation has detoriated massively. Crime is done so openly and freely. I too had to run away as our personal and business assets were contantly being attacked in one way or another, and yes, by the politicians. I am here in Saudi now, yes its much safer, but i must say i do not share the same view regarding the friendliness of the local arabs. Even our Pakistani community here has lost it. Its the western community which is the most friendly and intellectual
Amit
December 3, 2012 6:59 pm
lol @ "The Arabs were indebted to Bhutto for teaching them to use their new found oil as a weapon against the West and to face the Western world with dignity ". It was the West who told the Arab world about oil under their ground and its use. It is american companies which are pumping out the oil in the arab world. If the west was not buying that oil for the last 70 years, UAE, Saudi wouldn't have all the money that they do. All the mega contruction projects in those places are given to western firms. The malls and all are flooded with western goods. The author is living in a lala land
Sajjad
December 2, 2012 8:07 am
Great article and so true. I have noted that the Pakistani mission in the UAE does nothing, an embarrassing waste of time. I have had a lot of interaction with the Indian mission and it is fantastic how involved they are. I tried with the Pakistani mission but to no avail. We do need to appreciate the Emiraties more, they are welcoming and they do not get in your Business or way. Wish them a great National Day.
Jimmy
December 2, 2012 8:45 am
I have worked with Arabs all over the world, most devious, unreliable, intolerant and trouble makers.
Seriously!
December 4, 2012 5:45 am
For all those pointing out the faults of U.A.E......please do a little reflection on your own countries as I am sure you would agree that there are prblems in all countries! Thus we should highlight the positives of any nation/people approaching National Days and Anniversaries! The work to improve and continues behind scenes as Rome was not Built in a day!
Circumbulator
December 2, 2012 8:39 am
A lot of star struck Pakistanis, worshippers of Mammon.
aku
December 3, 2012 11:45 am
Exagerrated story about Arabs, especially the way they deal with foreigners in general and people from Indo-Pak in particular. One thing true though in this article was the indifference from our foreign missions, the same story everywhere. Our lazy government servants carry the same culture everywhere.
Rehman
December 4, 2012 6:11 pm
Its a PITY that the writer could not afford to get UAE citizenship after 37 years and had to go to Canada to get one. Still he calls it home?
Tamilselvan
December 4, 2012 12:39 am
This shows that if people are employed and have a decent standard of living terrorism will come down. Radical mullahs do not want this to happen and lead unemployed youth to follow terrorism. Moral of the story is a strong economy which gives people a living will create progress in the society
Laloo
December 4, 2012 10:07 am
“They interact with the expatriates with open arms.” !?! That's such a false statement. It cannot be stated how further that is from the truth! UAE Locals rarely like to even interact with Expatriates. They consider us Pakistanis the lowest of the low.
usmanakbar
December 4, 2012 2:55 pm
I agree with the comments except the attitude of the UAE nationals. Only a few individuals are hospitable towards other nationalities but mostly they treat South Asian as slaves. But off course burden falls on us because our politicians and leaders have left no respect for the nation,
kamran
December 2, 2012 8:27 am
Yes, you can stay another 37 years, build houses, buy and may be own properties, but one day, they will send you back, you can never get a life time residency/nationality. One small decision from the UAE gov. and all your investments will go in vain. This is how these arabs are. They offered residencies to all who buy properties, than one day, they changed thier minds..this is what they are..
Majid
December 3, 2012 6:30 pm
Many things very rightly pointed out by the writer. We live in our shell and interact with other communities at our own convenience. The biggest drawback is we try to interact with people on our own terms and try to extort respect. I have noticed this when I travelled to China, US and now in UAE. We dont mix with others but expect others to be tolerant when it comes to our cultures and traditions.
F Khan
December 4, 2012 7:35 am
"They interact with the expatriates with open arms." Yes, if you are a Canadian dual citizen, highly qualified and well paid, look like a Westerner and remain in your social place. No if you not. International media had reported of child camel jockeys (now banned?), laborers toiling unearthly hours in 130 degree heat, deprived of passports and deported if complain about the wages paid which can be a lot less than promised or late by months. I am an admirer of Dubai but have no first hand experience of the locals and hope the conditions have improved.
Krish Chennai
December 3, 2012 4:35 pm
Yes, Iqbal Mian, there is no place like home, as they say, and as you wish to point out, cleanliness is next to Godliness. Also, the feelings that anyone from South Asia has for his home country, whether Pakistan, India, Bangladesh or other, is the same. One can feel happy in one's own hut, but not in a gilded golden cage that belongs to another.
Masud Alam
December 3, 2012 2:05 pm
I lived in Dubai in the 90s. I recently visited the emirate and found everything scaled up - bigger shopping malls, taller buildings, more facilities ... which makes it a wonderful place - to visit if you have money. What hasn't changed is the inherent racism of locals in favour of white people who get fat salaries and unbelievable perks. The labourer - almost always from subcontinent - was paid 600 dirhams 20 years ago, he is still getting the same salary when prices of roti, tea, and maska bun have gone up manifold. The writer is probably talking about a Dubai different from the one these labourers know.
Muhammad
December 2, 2012 10:50 am
Your blessed my friend you stayed in Jannat of UAE for 37 years and want to some more years. We are in this Jahannum of Pakistan where these is suicide bombing in every corner.People fight in the name of sect,religion,province,language etc :(
Kamran
December 5, 2012 9:21 am
No sane Pakistani like Iqbal can stay in Pakistan.
Ataullah
December 2, 2012 10:47 am
I have visited Dubai but lived in Saudi Arabia. My experience have been the same, people were kind, helpful and friendly. Even relatives of Royal Family. I guess It mostly depends on how you feel about others and it shows in your attittute. Besides everything good should be taken with the bad like anywhere and everything in life. I guess being a Muslim Al-Hamdulillah Pakistan and Canadian citizen helped. I respected and tried to help whoever I could, whoever asked or needed it within my capacity and I got the same in return. The writer forgot Pakistani Architects, Planners, Interior Designers or with Architectural background professionals, who came in droves and contributed to the development of the Middle East. While Pakistani Consulate staff were helpful, kind and friendly but regarding trade or Pakistani product or material enquiries the response was nill or very poor. While Canadians who came to do business thru Canadian Consulte were timid and unresponsive opposite to Pakistan Consulate. Overall it has been a very enjoyable experience, fiancially and specially spiirtually rewarding experience, Al-Hamadulillah and Masha'Allah!
Habibullah haroon
December 4, 2012 4:15 pm
I agree Mr. Iqbal Mankani. Dubai is really a wonderful place but for whom? For upper class people. I have seen labors especially the old and aged people. Who work for the whole day but earn very less. The food price, health and education is very very difficult for these labors. The Arab government is rich but don't support such people. Unlike European countries, If you live for few years you can get free education, medical and even nationality. Especially there is a lack of standard education system for the children of middle or lower class people. There is also a need of religious schools like Madrassa. Our Pakistan is the best place to live. This is our Pakistan. And why should we leave our Pakistan? Its enemies (the corrupt people) will leave, InshaAllah. Because this is our PAKISTAN. PAKISTAN ZINDA BAAD.
m h kayani
December 2, 2012 10:41 am
I agree with Jimmy, Arabs are selfish and faraway from Islamic values, mostly double faced.
G.A.
December 2, 2012 3:39 pm
Wait. 37 years in Dubai and you get a Canadian passport? Did you finally get a raise in your salary?
Ramu
December 2, 2012 12:00 pm
What a load of rubbish! Pakistani's, Indians and other Asian workers are treated are worse than dogs both by the employers and the govt and the whole worlds knows about it.
Seriously!
December 3, 2012 5:38 am
I do not agree with this whole-heartedly, however I do agree that the labourers from all around the world can do with better living standards and access to basic facilities. However you must also agree that they do get a better economic opportunity to support their families at home; which coincidently they did not get at home! But one must flag here that, this point of view reflects a particularly Professional/Business people whether they are from India, Pakistan or from where ever!
Yousaf
December 3, 2012 8:09 pm
Does this include the slave South Asian labor?
Rana
December 4, 2012 12:01 pm
Of course the writer has to paint a rosy picture. He's living in the country. His true opinions will only emerge if we talk to him anonymously.
shaz
December 3, 2012 5:29 am
Iqbal... they treat Pakistanis terribly....
Sarcastic Person
December 5, 2012 1:31 pm
There future is bright. their empire is based on oil which will be replaced by other fuels which will be much cheaper in near future(solar cells, anti matter ect) . soon in 50 years or so they will be on camels and goats again. what a bright future :D
Asad
December 4, 2012 12:11 pm
Totally false, untrue and completely ridiculous article. I have never seen something more farther from truth appearing in Dawn. The Sheikhs of UAE are severely racist against Ex-Pats. The writer seems completely cut off from reality.
janan
December 3, 2012 8:25 am
I am living and working in Dubai from last 1 years i would say i have no problem with locals, we only interact with them when we need to go to some public sector office. Otherwise locals and ex. pat lives in different localities. I would say these UAE Arabs are good and have a very good manners, for example when you are crossing a road the ex. pat will hardly stop a car but the locals will always give you way. Workers class life is tough .. they need to work 12 hours and most of them only one day off in a month, my building security told me all this. The sub contractors exploit the worker class by paying less and working more... its worse working hours for labor as back in Pakistan or any other country where labor only works eight hours. They need to improve the life and working of laborers which are the back bone of the UAE.
Pakistan
December 2, 2012 10:43 am
I love UAE. People in UAE are loving.So prosperous place and no Taliban.No sectarian,ethnic and religious violence.Mullahs are restricted to their mosques.
chaudry
December 4, 2012 7:44 pm
There is nothing of worth ever come out of ignorant Arabs. All the worlds ills could be got rid of if we could only vanish that part of the world.
raw is war
December 3, 2012 3:07 am
Once oil is gone, this place becomes a desert again.
Xyz
December 3, 2012 11:27 pm
God has not awarded them anything. British and Americans invented the automobile, and then the Americans found oil for them. The world is yet to see the achievements of the Arabs.
Seriously!
December 2, 2012 12:54 pm
Agree! I have travelled throughout the Middle East and must say that the UAE and its People are amongst the best if not the best? May Allah grant all of us humility and humanity!
Shaukat Afridi
December 3, 2012 2:36 am
Lolzzz, The bedouins suffer from an acute sense of inferiority complex. For them an illiterate British is worth more than PhD from Pakistan and Bangla Desh. Also how can one live in a country where you do not have any basic rights! Even after living in that country for 37 years you are still not a UAE citizen!
sarahe
December 3, 2012 4:43 am
the UAE is a bastion of classism and racism-beyond the borders of your gated community, there is a world of exploitation of migrant labour. this is not to vilify the arab people, or say pakistan is any better, but it is necessary to be aware of that UAE is HARDLY the most just or welcoming place for immigrants, unless they are already well-off.
Asad Khan
December 5, 2012 12:11 pm
I am surprised at the arrogance at display here. Every person who commented on this article would just jump to Dubai if offered an opportunity by a rich-yet perhaps not intellectual, Sheikh. Try to understand the writers experience not super impose your opinions.
Cyrus Howell
December 2, 2012 2:18 pm
There is nothing wrong with Pakistanis that oil money cannot cure.
MUHIB
December 2, 2012 10:57 pm
The writer is a veteran of the UAE insurance industry. He is a member of Insurance Business Group and an active member of the Canadian Business Council in Dubai. .......... but still he is not a uae national.
Krish Chennai
December 2, 2012 4:16 pm
For every one success story, like that of the writer of this article, there would be a hundred live examples of dreams that turned sour in the deserts. On the positive side, though, is that Dubai has transformed completely, and is well on the way to becoming the numero-uno city for what we call the global village, with its multi-racial and multi-cultural expatriate population,
Raj
December 2, 2012 7:16 pm
Are you citizen of Dubai ??? or still Pakistani national ??
Bibi
December 2, 2012 2:37 pm
Ask the labor class & low payed workers how they are treated. You will get a completely different picture. And yes I lived in Dubai for years in the 80's. Life for me was good but you needed to talk to just 1 laborer & get horror stories.
ahsan
December 2, 2012 10:22 pm
Riyals from these sheikdoms destroyed and are still destroying the very fabric of our society . From Hobura bustard to violent jehad, from desert palaces to temporary harems in Rahim Yar Khan, all is fair game in our country for them and still this man loves them
Kazi Ashraf
December 2, 2012 2:07 pm
So please do something about it instead of complaining. Lets start by not calling your 'home'...jahanam!!!
introspecteeve
December 2, 2012 6:42 pm
Do you have the UAE nationality after living 37 years in Dubai? If not, It says all about UAE.
Sarah
December 5, 2012 4:20 am
I respect the experience of the writer but as someone who was born and raised in the UAE, who left the place with absolutely no desire to visit, the article exaggerates much of UAE's good qualities. Arabs being welcoming to Pakistanis? Sure, if you look European. And if your visa is yanked away, you become a pariah. No thank you, the writer can have Dubai, I left it and the horrible attitude the locals had towards South Asians and never looked back.
iqbal
December 2, 2012 5:48 pm
Dear Mohaammad , I have lived in some countries including dubai and pakistan - i find pakistaan the most blessed ..it is the people who make the country good or bad - we as people have turned this beautiful country and its beautiful cities uglier - we collectively have to take charge - if our house becomes dirty we clean it ...but remember we have the best house
final_reckoning
December 5, 2012 6:04 am
"Unless the Pakistanis come out of their shell and learn to mix around and interact with other communities, they will lose their identity." what
Muhammad K
December 2, 2012 10:27 pm
Arabs are the most devoted Muslims in the world, that's why God has awarded them with every thing. They are real Muslim brothers and donate what they can to their Muslim brothers. Those who are working as Laborer (Engineers, Doctors to workers from Pakistan), they are selfish and dishonest, they are the people who make hole in their own plat. Why they don't stay in Pakistan and work for Pakistan. If you are going for bread then don't complain. They are not going to allow you to stay at their home. Once you sign an agreement you are bound to follow.
Yousuf
December 3, 2012 8:22 am
Is this an attempt to persuade them not to force you out of the country when you retire?
Omar
December 2, 2012 3:07 pm
Mr Mankani, Being familiar with the local dynamics in Dubai/UAE what kind of help and support would you like from the Pakistani stakeholders to revive the status that has been lost? We may not be able to get to the same interactive level that you mention with your Candian partners right away, but starting small and evaluationg the next steps can be an option. Open to you suggestions.
Gulzar
December 5, 2012 9:00 am
It is not what happened to Pakistanis in UAE or anywhere else which is hurting us. It is about what happened to Pakistanis in Pakistan. During the mentioned period, 1st for almost a decade we fought a war for someone... than a period of rampage corruption enjoyed by the two main parties and then another war with another dictator for someone.. .And now the war combined with the Pioneers of corruption hitting the country and its people. Unless our own home is in order we can’t get better no matter how better relations our expats have with natives of their respective countries. If we are good at home we will be better outside.
Raj
December 2, 2012 11:28 am
@m h Kayani: we all know that "Islamic values" are working really well in Pakistan.Please spare the rest of us.
Gerry D'Cunha
December 2, 2012 11:24 am
I too agree with jimmy and kayani's views on arabs - the arabs only favours the white skin people and provide them with all kind of facilities and yet treat our asian and black people with low dignity and sometime I head also call our asian workers as 'beggars' in their country.
Shah
December 3, 2012 9:49 am
The wriote speak of as he is the only one who mixes with other people. I can assure the writer that we Pakistanis do mix quite a lot. We are also quite well traveled. You find Pakistani cummunities all over the world, Far East, Middle East, Europe and America etc.
Nasir
December 5, 2012 1:14 am
So what?west needed the oil they bought it, if India had she could also sell it. Have the Europe not been subject of Russian black mail when it comes to natural gas, west is lucky Arabs are not as powerful as Russis otherwise this oil could ve been used more effectively.
Syed
December 3, 2012 8:26 am
A bit too much of praise, given the country and esp their laws for foreigners are far from perfect. Exaggeration by writer “…but can certainly say that local Arabs in UAE are the most talented and wonderful to live ” Contradictory statement “…Unless the Pakistanis come out of their shell and learn to mix around and interact with other communities, they will lose their identity “? To writer, my advise is to keep it REAL. To Editor of Daily Dawn, please read before publishing.
Pakistan
December 5, 2012 9:14 am
Mr. Iqbal is a proud Pakistani who left his country Pakistan, which he felt was not a green pasture and stayed in a country called UAE for 37 years and wants to stay their for some more years.I feel people like Iqbal are true Pakistanis who left Pakistan for the good.The fact is a true liberal and prosperous Pakistani will not stay in Pakistan.
Amir
December 4, 2012 5:58 pm
The writer will be shown the door as soon as he retires and then he will flock to Canada. I know many Pakistani's from Dubai who get Canadian immigration decieving the Canadian Embassy that they will actually move to Canada but just play back and forth and get a Canadian Passport so that they can show it to Arabs.
khanm
December 2, 2012 11:22 am
I have been living here in Riyadh for last 21 years. yes indeed some of them are arrogant but still they are far better than Pakistanis.
Abdul Rahim
December 8, 2012 2:14 pm
The best part about this country is the law that is free from all sort of discrimination between the white and black, muslim or hindu, rich or poor. Secondly, the people around are good human beings who indeed know what humanism is all about. I very much agree with the two points of Mr. Iqbal. 1. Attitude Problem and 2. We try to find short-cuts at every stage. This is the time to come out of the nut shell and make our country proud of us in UAE and all over the world by our clear intentions, hard work, and friendship with all communities.
Ataullah
December 6, 2012 4:14 pm
On the other side, If none had left, perhaps Pakistan would have been in better shape than today, Wallahu Allam but as according to Islam migration is only allowed if one cannot practice Islam or being prosecuted and danger to your life as a Muslim. Unless one changes one's mind to propogate Islam.
Ataullah
December 6, 2012 4:18 pm
Even Dr. Allama Iqbal (Ramatullah Allay), Quaid Azam, Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Rahmatullah Allay left Indo Pakistan Sub-Continent.
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Bloggers