Suffocation kills three

Published Nov 30, 2012 02:33am

RAWALPINDI, Nov 29: Three young men (carpenters) died of suffocation in their sleep, while two others were found unconscious, due to carbon monoxide fumes from a fireplace, inside the room. The incident occurred in Dhoke Kala Khan, on Thursday, police said.

Two of the victims, Irshad Ahmed, 20, and Rifaqat Ali, 19, were found unconscious and removed to Benazir Bhutto Hospital (BBH), where they were stated to be out of danger.

The incident came to light on Thursday, when a colleague, living in an adjacent room, found them lying unconscious.

Aslam Pervez, a carpenter, who lives in the adjoining room, told Dawn that he along with his co-workers noticed that none of those sleeping in the next room was getting up.

Aslam said: “As I knocked the door, I found them unresponsive. When I forcibly opened the window, I found all of the five carpenters in deep slumber, though one of them responded, when I called him.” He said that when he opened the window of the room, he found it filled with fumes.

Shortly after, emergency services were called, who removed all of them to the BBH.

On reaching the hospital, three of the victims who were identified as Shahbaz Ali, 20, Arshad Ali, 21, and Haider Ali, 19, were pronounced dead by the doctors, while first aid was given to the two others.


Do you have information you wish to share with Dawn.com? You can email our News Desk to share news tips, reports and general feedback. You can also email the Blog Desk if you have an opinion or narrative to share, or reach out to the Special Projects Desk to send us your Photos, or Videos.

More From This Section

Another 420 arrested

ISLAMABAD: The Islamabad police arrested 420 people for violating Section 144 on Saturday night.These people were...

Comments (0) (Closed)