Dawn News

SEOUL, Oct 6: A North Korean soldier defected to the South on Saturday through the heavily militarised border, apparently shooting dead two superior officers in the process, the South Korean military said.

It is only the fourth such defection reported in the last 10 years, with none of the past incidents involving fatal shootings, and could raise already heightened tensions ahead of the South’s presidential election in December.

“Six gunshots were heard and our guards spotted a North Korean soldier crossing the military demarcation line,” a spokesman for Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff told reporters.

“Through loudspeakers, we confirmed he wanted to defect to the South and we led him to safety,” the spokesman said, adding the soldier was being held in protective custody.

Under initial interrogation, the soldier said he had shot and killed his squad and platoon leaders before making his escape.

There was no independent confirmation of any casualties, but Yonhap news agency cited an unidentified military official as saying two North Korean soldiers had been seen “lying on the ground”.

There was no immediate comment from Pyongyang. Military defections across the land border between the two Koreas are rare, with the last reported crossing by a North Korean soldier in 2010, and previous instances in 2008 and 2002.—AFP


Email news tips and feedback to News Desk, submit blogs to Blog Desk and share photos and Videos with Special Projects Desk.


Comments (0) Closed