Visitors resting on charpoys (portable bed) on the bank of Swat River.–Photo by Dawn

MINGORA: Starting from Eid-ul-Fitr over 300,000 tourists from across the country have so far visited Swat Valley.

Confirming this, officials and residents said that during this time not a single act of violence took place in Swat valley, which is known for its archaeological sites of Gandhara civilisation and scenic hamlets. They said that a multitude of tourists were seen in Kalam, Bahrain, Madyan, Malam Jabba, Marghuzar, Saidu Baba, Fizaghat, Mingora and other spots of Swat. They said that restoration of people’s confidence to visit the valley was a great achievement for the local administration.

Since 2008 when Taliban militants loyal to Maulana Fazlullah gained control in the area and parts of Kohistan, Dir, Malakand and other protected area, most of the tourist spots presented a deserted look.

However, owing to sacrifices rendered by people of Swat and law-enforcement agencies for restoration of peace the tourists have started reaching the valley in droves to enjoy serenity and beauty of small hamlets of Swat and cultural heritage.

Internally displaced persons return to Swat. – File photo by AP

People of Swat are known for their hospitality; they welcome visitors with open heart, accommodate them in their homes and hujras (guesthouses) and serve food free of cost to encourage and provide them opportunity to enjoy their tour. However, some hotel owners, tandoor walas (bakers), and petrol pump owners at the main tourist stations have been fleecing tourists on the pretext of artificial shortage of various items. During rush of tourists, Rs2,000 to Rs8,000 is charged for a single room for one night stay in hotels while the price of petrol touches as high as Rs550 per litre.

Khurshid Ahmed, a resident of Bahrian, told this scribe that about 300 motorcycles were seen stranded in different areas and over 1,600 tourists trapped in Kalam due to shortage of petrol during past few days. He said that work on Kalam-Havad road should be completed as proper communications system was vital to growth of tourism.

Kalam Hotels Association general secretary Rahmat Din Siddiqi told a correspondent that this year the number of tourists remained satisfactory despite unfavourable conditions. He said that his union would take action against those hotel owners who had been fleecing visitors by demanding high prices.

He also called upon the government to rebuild roads damaged in 2010 floods and restore telephone facilities to different spots to attract more visitors in next season. He also demanded upgradation of Kalam hospital and appointment of specialist doctors there.

In this May 24, 2012 photo, people sit near a sculpture of the Buddha whose face was destroyed by Taliban fighters at Jahanabad, Pakistan in the Swat valley. – AP

Sub-divisional magistrate, Madyan, Mohammad Naeem claimed that after reports of artificial price-hike the administration checked various food outlets and petrol pumps, and imposed fines on profiteers.

A large number of tourists also visited Malam Jabba Ski Resort, but due to lack of facilities the tourists retuned half-hearted. The dilapidated condition of Malam Jabba road and damaged building of PTDC also forced the tourists to turn to other places.

DSP Madyan Naveed Iqbal said that police personnel had been deployed at various points to ensure smooth flow of traffic.

However, he said that due to poor condition of Bahrian-Kalam road and rush of tourists the traffic jams were seen on some points on Kalam-Bahrian road, especially during Eid days.

Mr Iqbal said that there was complete peace in Swat and urged tourists to visit the valley without any fear. He said that that police was vigilant and providing full security to tourists. He claimed that not a single incident of sabotage occurred during Eid days.

SC declares appointment of NAB chief legal

The court has disposed of PTI chief Imran Khan's petition against appointment of Qamar Zaman Chaudhry as chairman NAB.

Nawaz vows to spend $1.6bn on Balochistan development

Addressing the cabinet meeting in Islamabad, the prime minister said that he himself will monitor these projects.

Police arrest six suspected LeJ militants

Police said the suspects are responsible for killing 16 people over the last two years and for four attempted murders.

Khawaja Asif takes U-turn, calls Pakistan Army an asset

The defence minister called his past statements a mistake and insisted that those were made in a difference context.

Comments are closed.

Comments (25)

Yawar
September 12, 2012 12:42 am
Why would a foreign tourist visit Swat while there is continued threat of kidnapping for ransom in Pakistan? It is time we reclaimed all of Pakistan from known terrorist groups.
Siraj Ahsan
September 12, 2012 4:27 am
do you really think people will come to north of pakistan? Pakistan is still under travel advisory no one will ever come to Pakistan till Pakistanis change their attitude. Why to go to Pakistan when you can go to Switzerland and see mountains. Cheap it maybe but life is not guaranteed.
furqan
September 12, 2012 1:21 am
Arab tourists go to India for "tourism". They rarely go to see Egyptian Pyramids either. What Swat really attracts is Chinese, Korean, Japanese tourists to come to see the birth place of Budhism & it Books and relics. Have peace and quality-of-life, world will come!
Syed I Ali Khan
September 11, 2012 7:16 pm
These pictures have not done justice to the actual beauty of the Swat valley. I have to this valley numerous times. The scenery is surreal. I was told by a European tourist that Swat was second to none, not even the Swiss Alps. There is a huge potential for tourism. The valley is a stretch of lush-green flower-laden meadows, tempting and breathtaking rocks for rock climbing. The Mahodand lake looks like a peice of paradise! The sheer cliff overlooking the lake is a sight I can never forget. The lake is so so so panoramic! The lake has a tremendous potential to become a focus of tourism activities like rock climbing, fishing, eating, hotelling, camping, base-camp of trekking, and the list goes on...The places (meaning lakes, valleys) beyond Mahodand lake inbite the visitors to many more lakes and treks. The gushing springs and rivers flowing throught the towns of Madian and Behrain are unbelievalbe. I can only imagine what an experience it would be to motor glide, or canoe over and in those gushing streams gliding or swimming through the banks flanked by sheer rocks on both sides. Oh! I am again falling in love with Swat; I miss the valley sitting in USA. If the govt could give me one responsibility, I would ask for tourism!
dr aysha mansoor
September 12, 2012 1:02 pm
may peace prevails every where......it was not an easy journey.....God bless our country and put more tolerance and human values in masses
dr aysha mansoor
September 12, 2012 1:04 pm
good idea but only if governments take real interest and promote tourism on larger scale
Zulfi
September 13, 2012 2:03 am
what a shame that as people we cant share our common heritage!
G.A.
September 11, 2012 11:46 am
Local tourists is a good news. But Pakistan desperately needs foreign tourists. It would be good for PTDC to target oil-rich Arab countries who mostly are not even aware of such gems only a couple of hours of flight away from them. East Asians tourists would have a natural interest towards Buddhist relics in this area. It will earn Pakistan a lot of goodwill provided facilities are provided.
M Rizwan
September 13, 2012 12:13 am
Agreed. You can see their love for peace in Burma....
BRR
September 13, 2012 5:12 am
There is a whole wide world out there, and too many choices. Quite a few where people have proper facilities ready for tourists, and tourists are made welcome. Swat may be nice, but it one of several. It will have to compete with those that are much more safe, easy to get to, and hassle free. I could rattle off a bunch of places that qualify for that, including Alaska, Sweden, New Zealand, Patagonia, Colorado, etc.
mohammad Iqbal
September 11, 2012 10:35 am
I use to visit swat every year with my family before hell broke in this beautiful valley. Now as the reports suggest that everything is fine and normal. May be again I will try to visit this earthly heaven . Pakistanis can be devided into two classes. Those who have seen swat and those who have not so far. I love you swat
Mohammed Irfan
September 11, 2012 1:14 pm
I have been to Swat just before the fighting as a matter of fact we were in the hotel when we found out that Gen Musharaf had put emergency law.. I can honestly say that it really is a wonderful place and we loved it and would love to go back there again and as far as the local people are concerned they benefit greatly from visitors so please think about them if not anybody else and lets all work for PEACE
Khan usafzai
September 12, 2012 12:37 am
Great news that sanity prevails to the beautiful paradise of Pakistan ... Its a beautiful and relatively easily and near , beauty of north you can enjoy with your family....
Mahmood
September 11, 2012 9:02 pm
Its really great to see Swat is coming back to life. Every tourist arrival in Swat is the defeat of the extremist element there. Hope to see all the northern Pakistan cleansed of all the extremism soon and play my part as well by visiting it.
Dhanus Menon
September 12, 2012 4:14 am
Your ancestors the Budhists were probably much peaceful people.
Rizwan
September 11, 2012 8:47 pm
you'd be surprised at how many Koreans visit Swat and Takhat-e-bhai
Raj
September 12, 2012 7:19 am
I would love to visit Pakistan if granted tourist visa.
Muhammad Ahmed Mufti
September 11, 2012 5:15 pm
Foreigners are not well informed about local culture hence Sawat will be served better if Pakistani diaspora visits it.
saulat
September 12, 2012 10:37 am
Great News !!!! .. Hopefully foreign tourists will also return to pakistan in near future ..
Akbar Ali Khan, Malak of Kuzabandai
September 13, 2012 6:06 am
Akbar Ali Khan, Swat is my home town though these days I am away from it, but when ever I hear about the condition then for long hours I felt myself be there around the greenery and getting enjoyment from the natural beauty. I would recommend rest of the Pakistanis to visit rapidity so that the innocent people of the area could wash and forget the terrible past of 5 to 6 years. I love my home land.
Ashutosh
September 13, 2012 5:01 am
As one of the theory Srivastava's community in India originated on the banks of this beautiful river. This is my die hard wish to visit this land during my life time. I wish this comes true someday.
Akram
September 11, 2012 11:01 am
Inshallah, next time I'm in Pakistan I intend to go to Swat. Time to reclaim it from the ignorant.
Abbas
September 12, 2012 3:04 pm
Reading this article reminds me the time when I was in Pakistan and visited this beautiful valley in the year 1995-1996 as a student. Its worth to see this area and people. They are Lovelly and friendly . I wish them safe and happy life. Pray to Allah(swa) that peace should return to whole Pakistan especially KP.
Lakhkar Khan
September 12, 2012 2:41 pm
The way India and Pakistan relationship is progressing, I hope it stays that way, I am sure you will get the opportunity to get visa soon. Swat valley is known for rich history and natural beauty. I been there dozens of times and going to visit again soon.
Usman Chaudhry
September 12, 2012 2:09 pm
Welcome!
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Poll