A Chaand Raat message in bad taste

Published Aug 23, 2012 02:53am

Visitors travel on vehicles as they cross a bridge on the last day of the religious festival of Eid in Lahore on. People traditionally visit the homes of their relatives and friends, and enjoy outdoor entertainment to to celebrate Eid.–Photo by AFP

Chaand Raat for Pakistanis means a trip to the nearest market for shopping, cooking desserts for next day, ironing clothes, last-minute changes in tailor-made dresses and even a drive just for the sake of getting out of home to celebrate. This year however, many plans were spoilt as communication was broken down.

People in cities all over Pakistan saw their cellular networks go down around 8pm. During the news bulletin Interior Minister Rehman Malik appeared beseeching everyone to “support his government and the law and order situation only for one night.”

He pressed that it was a security measure.

But for many people, this caused not only misery on one of the most enjoyable nights of the year, in several cases there was confusion since the security measure was unprecedented, and many others who were stuck in an emergency situation could not call their friends or relatives to inform them of it. Worse was the fact that an entire night and next morning was to be spent behind this iron curtain for the networks were to be officially opened by 10am on Eid.

“It seems as if Mr Rehman Malik had really no other security strategy up his sleeve,” said Akhtar Hussain Rathor, who works for a private company that deals with international clients. “My business was affected for the worse because of this ridiculous step.

It is probably not realised in the interior ministry that businessmen abroad will not care whether it is Chaand Raat or not, because the international markets are open. Only in Pakistan is this possible.”

Other business people were also affected adversely. “I could not call up anybody to give them instructions for the three holidays that were coming up,” said Zahid, a factory overseer. “Because of that, much of our cargo that travels up the country was affected and we ended up making losses. At least we should have been informed before this step was to be taken.”Banker Maham Hussain described her case. “I was stuck in traffic coming from a friend’s place late in the evening,” she said. “My parents were trying to contact me because I was not at home in time. I hadn’t expected the networks to be down so I didn’t know this issue was ongoing, but I was astonished to find my family worried to pieces by the time I reached home.”

For others it was a matter of life and death. “My husband had a severe angina pain that night,” said 60-year-old Mehnaz Aslam.

“I was stuck badly, because I could not call up my sons, and I could not even call up emergency since our cell phones did not work. It was pure coincidence that a relative came during that time and I later found out that my husband was prevented in time from having an attack.”

Others who had already gone through trauma could not ask for support. “My 10-year-old daughter has leukemia,” sobbed Almas Nazir, who came from Kasur to admit her into the hospital. “We needed blood almost immediately and I was trying so hard to call up my relatives in Lahore to see if anyone could donate some or spread the word, but of course how could I?”

Others had a situation which while was not an emergency, was still an important problem. “Me and my friends were supposed to go out at Chaand Raat,” said Ali. “We always make plans about meeting up by confirming half an hour earlier because we happen to live in quite opposite ends such as Township or DHA, or Green Town. Without our cell phones, the plans flopped badly, and nothing came out of it.”

“Since the network was down, my parents did not allow me and my brother to leave the house that night, in case we needed to contact each other in an emergency situation which is very possible on such a busy crowded night,” said Shumaila, a high school girl.

Others were merely disgusted by the sheer fascistic streak this kind of security measure had, while many were left astonished at the weakness of the country’s security system.

“We understand that nights like these must be controlled so that criminal and terrorist elements do not act or even collaborate,” said Yousuf Ahmed, who is a law student. “But are they trying to tell us that there is no other way in which this can be done?”

“This is an extremely dictatorial step taken by Rehman Malik,” commented a newspaper editor. “This is really no way to behave with the citizens.…..to suddenly shut down the most important thing, a medium of communication, leaving them in the lurch without so much as a warning, and having them suffer for the night without being able to contact each other. This is exactly similar to cutting off news networks so that people do not know what is happening around the world.”

But after a sudden spate of lawlessness in the country, a very small group of people grudgingly accepted the step as one of security.

“What else can we do when we do not have a system of nabbing these elements?” asked Shahzaib Baloch, a student of political science. “That is the basic problem. Should we as a nation simply unite to save potential lives that could have been lost in a terrorist attack or something else?”

“The fact is that recently so many people have been killed all over the country, including the horrific incident in Gilgit where they killed over 20 Shias on the 27th of Ramazan. Are we going to be selfish and celebrate after these incidents or are we going to sacrifice just a bit to prevent something like this?” he asked.

But the general feeling was that of disapproval. “Yes it is important to see that the security situation is under control, but this is certainly not the way to do it,” reacted an angry businessman. “And for that matter where was our interior ministry when those innocent people were being killed? Pondering lazily over what to do next?”

Sharif defers gas tariff hike

PM once again safeguarded already inflation hit masses from massive rise in gas tariff. It was second time in one month.

Hello
Aug 24, 2012 04:00am
Yeah we had chand raats before cell phones but time has totally changed mr habib . You having a heart attack or your family has having a serious problem and you don't have any electric city and you can't use your house phone then what would you do mr.habib? Mr.habib cell phones are Not luxury they are necessity in life.
Sam Anderson
Aug 23, 2012 11:41am
few years back,there were no automobiles or electricity. Therefore we should stop driving and disconnect all electricity????
Talk4real
Aug 23, 2012 11:40am
Then please suggest a better or friendly way Mr. Cyrus
A. G. Habib
Aug 23, 2012 10:05am
there were Chand nights before cell phones and were celebrated in much better way. The decision was a follow up of similar decision by india to counter communal hatred SMS. I suggest every day a few hours be made cell free.
Khalid
Aug 29, 2012 03:28pm
How low can we get. In a situation when everyone is talking about the merit or otherwise of switching off mobile networks, you have started talking about Shia Sunni killing. I think both Shias and Sunnis have murderers amongst themselves. Until we get rid of those elements, we will not get anywhere. As for switching off mobile phones, if there was a real threat, I suppose it is OK to do that but then do we all believe in what the government (or for that matter opposition) says?
raees
Aug 25, 2012 01:53pm
80% of the people using cell phones in Pakistan as Luxury and not for emergency.So the decision to shut down the cell phone for few hours was worth it.It may have saved many lives keeping the fact in mind that terrorist are always looking for crowded places to plant bombs and use cell phones as remotes.If you were shopping on chand Raat you were lucky that you were saved from some "would be terrorist attack".This premptive measures have saved precious lives. Some selfish Pakistanis are always complaining.Malik's decision was timely this time. Every pakistani should appreciate good measures taken by Govt. God bless Pakistan & USA . Love to my countrymen raees javeri Houston,TX
arif
Aug 25, 2012 01:50pm
Technology is always good, and for improvement of human life. it should be used correctly not for terriorist purpose. See ATOM BOMB if two country have it, there will no war. Each one afraid with other. This is world.
arif
Aug 25, 2012 01:46pm
Dear Syed People know the value and important when they are out of their homeland. I am same like you. Please my countrymen "important of country and Safety of people more then money"
Syed
Aug 24, 2012 03:26am
Well I am a Pakistani who don't live in Pakistan but I always pray for the safety of my relatives and friends in Pakistan. I disagree with many policies of our Government but on this security measure taken by the Gov I support them. It was for the benefit of our people, though we could not use mobile phones, we can always use land lines for emergency reasons. The business community must understand that for business communication mobile communication is only one of the many means of communication. Emails communication or calls through land lines were still available. So the businesses cannot be stopped simply without mobile networks. I am glad nothing happen and Eid was celebrated peacefully. Imagine a bomb blast in your town... you will than blame government for not take necessary steps.
kkhatun
Aug 31, 2012 07:18am
Surprised to see that mobile phones are still treated as luxury in Pakistan......oops
Adnan
Aug 24, 2012 06:38am
Let's impose a twenty four by seven curfew and have no activity not even terrorism. How about that
Karachi
Aug 23, 2012 07:12pm
12 innocent Sunnis were also killed in Karachi just before the chand raat in reaction to the Gilgit attack.
Agha Ata
Aug 23, 2012 05:47pm
For many months I read newspapers everyday just to see if Mr.Rehman Malik says something sensible, but now, i give up.
Azam
Aug 23, 2012 04:38pm
when we do not vote for the right people what else we can expect from these so called educated peop;e
Cyrus Howell
Aug 30, 2012 02:06am
I meant cutting off phone service was not the way to win friends. Especially at election time. Sorry.
Jamil
Aug 23, 2012 07:24pm
Pakistanis do not need any cell phones. It is a pure luxury for the people who cannot afford to have two square meals a day. Less communication is always better and why give terrorists an opportunity to blow-up innocent lives.
Cyrus Howell
Aug 23, 2012 09:19am
Not the way to win friends and influence people.
ahmed saeed
Aug 23, 2012 09:40am
Don't criticize for the sake of criticism. Few years back there were no mobile phones and less terror. Let us help each other and assist the Govt.