hazara-people-reut-670
An ethnic Hazara Shia man is comforted by his relative after he arrived at the local hospital in Quetta to find a family member shot dead, September 20, 2011. — Photo by Reuters

This is the story of two boys who were forced to leave Pakistan long after the partition. The first one was so young that he didn’t know why he was leaving, the second old enough to know exactly why he had to leave, but still couldn’t stop asking: why?

Earlier this year I met a 14-year-old unaccompanied Hazara boy on a Karachi-Bangkok flight. A group of happy Pakistani businessmen were trying their Chinese language skills on him. The boy looked bewildered, he turned to me and said, in Urdu: what language are they speaking? I gingerly told the group to back off, that the kid was a Pakistani. The businessmen seemed well travelled but were quite shocked that a Chinese looking kid could speak fluent Urdu. They left us alone and started to trade the do’s and don’t of haggling in Bangkok brothels.

“Going on vacation?” I asked the boy. “All by yourself?”

“I am in class nine.” He didn’t want to be treated like a kid.

“So why aren’t you in school?”

I asked.

He told me a story, a familiar story, but I had never heard it from a kid’s point of view. “Abbu has been acting very strange lately,” he lowered his voice. He has a big store on Sariab Road in Quetta. He used to go there every day. Now, most days he just stays home. First he stopped me from going to school. Then he stopped me from going to play on the street. Then he told me that I was going to go to Bangkok.

The boy had little comprehension of the scale of the trouble his community faced. His father is one of the many businessmen in Quetta who have to make a daily choice: go out to work and risk getting killed or stay home and hope to survive another day. The kid believed his dad was just acting a bit weird.

“Have you been to Bangkok before? Do you have any family there?”

“No.” He shook his head. “I have never been anywhere before. All my sisters are in Quetta. I am the only brother. I am going to stay with Uncle Mirza.” Then with the boastful optimism of a teenager he asked me.

“Do you know Uncle Mirza? Everyone in Bangkok knows him.” It turned out that Uncle Mirza was a family friend but the boy had actually never met him. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that I didn’t know any Uncle Mirza. I also couldn’t imagine what kind of life the kid would have in Bangkok.

Later in the year, a leader of the Hazara community in Quetta, Abdul Qayum Changezi, weary of attending too many funerals, told me: I have an idea. I am going to propose to the government to buy everything we have; our shops, our business, our houses, even our pots and pans.

Everything. At the market prices. And then with that money put us all onto ships and send us to any country that might be willing to take us.

That kid was the lonely boy on a ship. Uncle Mirza was the only country willing to take him.

Another boy approached me in Bombay after a book reading last year. He was curious to know about a Sindhi couplet that I had quoted. He was in his late twenties, a clean cut Bombay professional. “I am from Shikarpur,” he told me quite abruptly. I hoped that he was a visitor, or somehow had ended up there for work. Again the story was familiar. He had migrated with his parents when he was sixteen. “In the early nineties when there were lots of kidnappings in interior Sindh,” he said. Like a true Pakistani, I wanted to remind him that Muslims were also kidnapped. But he wasn’t interested in discussing persecution of minorities in Pakistan. He said he wanted to have a word in private.

We moved away from the crowd. “We came here because my parents were worried about my sisters, what would happen when they grew up.” I asked him about his life in Bombay. It was good. He was the director of a long running soap on Sony TV, had two kids and a wife. “It might seem a bit strange but I thought you might help me. For the last one year I dream of Shikarpur every night,” he told me. “I mean the dreams are different, but whatever happens, happens in the streets of Shikarpur. It’s very vivid. And the strange thing is that I don’t really think much about Shikarpur. I grew up there but that’s all in the past. I want these dreams to stop.”

I didn’t really have an answer. I mumbled something about homesickness being a universal disease. “I am not really homesick,” the boy from Shikarpur insisted. “In fact I never want to go back. I am just wondering if there is anyway I could get rid of these dreams. I can’t talk to anyone about them.”

I suggested that maybe he should write about his experiences. “There is no story,” he insisted. “We still have relatives there, why create problems for them? And why would anyone want to read about my dreams anyways? As it is I feel embarrassed talking about this. I decided to talk to you because you are from Sindh and you quoted that couplet that I liked.”

I tried to change the subject. We talked about the rise and decline of Indian soap operas. He told me that all his brothers and sister were married, well settled and have moved away from home. “Where is home?” I asked. He named a small town in the Indian state of Gujarat.

“My parents are still there,” he said. “All by themselves.” Then he reverted to the subject of his dreams. “When I wake up from these dreams, I often think about my parents. Because you see when we left I was only sixteen. I made a whole life here. They were already in their sixties when they left. And they had never lived outside of Shikarpur. They never talk about it. But I worry about them. I wonder if I can’t get rid of these dreams, what must they be going through?”

I wonder when that Hazara kid grows up in some strange land, will he be haunted by the dreams of Sariab Road?

— The writer is author of Our Lady of Alice Bhatti and A Case of Exploding Mangoes.

Bombers’ trail leads to arrests from guava farm in south Punjab

Officials said they are comparing the bombers’ modus operandi with that of TTP and UBA in Islamabad Sabzi Mandi blast.

Militants launch huge attack on Landi Kotal FC fort

The attack on the Landi Kotal Fort comes as the TTP calls off the 40-day ceasefire.

14 dead, 10 injured in road crash

The people who died under the Dera Ghazi Khan-to-Karachi bus included four women and 11 men.

FO rejects UK criticism on rights

FO rejects the criticism by UK's Annual Human Rights and Democracy Report that marks Pakistan as a country of concern.

Comments are closed.

Comments (74)

Rehan
August 14, 2012 10:09 am
First they came for the Shias...
AayBee
August 14, 2012 11:53 am
There is big problem that we don't understand and that is the fact that some agencies which are for sure non-Islamic want Muslims never to accelerate or focus on their economy and stay strangled in problems only. This makes the agencies in creating trouble in different Muslim countries. Pakistan being a very natural resources rich country and being a nuclear power is the main target of such agencies and so far are successful in achieving their goals. These agencies have created the many sects and various groups in Islam and have been working against the true Islam since Islam the religion has been there. Lastly, I am grieved to say this that journalism in the current era has also been part of the goals of such agencies. May Allah help us all and guide us in understanding and following the true Islam.
talib hussain hazara
August 14, 2012 12:07 pm
really great,i like this article more than any other article,
anees
August 14, 2012 11:01 am
Why shame on us? Does this solve the problems? Why not think about how to get rid of these menaces?
LETS FACE IT
August 14, 2012 10:03 am
This article proves that the sickness does not end with the ill treatment of hindus or christians, which is despicable, but is much deeper and includes minorities within muslims. Unless very serious steps are taken to confront and neutralize this threat, the deadly combination of ignorance and hate will ultimately prove to be fatal for all of us regardless of our religious beliefs.
Savage
August 14, 2012 11:04 am
why you indians forget the ethnic cleansing in Kashmir...why do you easily forget the Gujarat riots (killings of Muslims) and killings of Christians (read the recent history) ... and Tell me what you did with the Sikhs? You looted their Golden Temple...and the Pakistanis preserved their Nankana sahib and other religious places in Pakistan
Saba
August 14, 2012 10:31 am
I had goosebumps
Iftikhar Husain
August 15, 2012 11:58 am
Remarkable facts it is nice to read it.
John Vicary
August 15, 2012 11:46 am
Most comical message I have ever read. Literally, roaring with laughter. I love that denial mode. Cheers.
Ehsan
August 17, 2012 3:35 pm
Sorry to say, but Pakistan's constitution of 1973 is designed to protect politicians seats and there personal interests. A state should always speak of EquALity, not of MaJority & MinoRity.
shazlicious
August 25, 2012 8:59 am
This is an amazing article!
Vijay Kumar
August 14, 2012 10:52 am
This is a common dream which haunts most of us living abroad - every weekend when I am at home thinking of my homeland but unfortuntaely been a non-muslim is extremely hard to live in Pakistan and have to leave forever for good. The childhood memories will hanut me forever.
PARVEEZ
August 14, 2012 11:49 am
SHAME ON OUR GOVERNMENT. All they want is to keep their seat, to hell with the country, and its people. I think we as a nation are dying, and only our body is living. We see nothing, we hear nothing, and we speak nothing. Yes on 14 AUGUST, we put our flags all over the country, and pretend we love Pakistan. After that we start kiling anyone who is diffrent from us, or who we don't agree with. We say God will look after us, because we are ISLAMIC nation, we have nothing in common with ISLAM.
Savage
August 14, 2012 11:52 am
Hate is a very dangerous thing if used against the humanity, especially. In the current situation in Pakistan, such things are inevitable when there is no rule of law. In such situations any nation can be lured by extremism. I strongly believe, the day we have the true leaders serving the country, the fate of the whole nation will change. No extremism, no terrorism will ever happen in Pakistan. And why would they let it happen while they all are very patriotic and peace loving people. "Total Peace" and stability can only ensure prosperity in our society and that is only possible when we help the whole nation in ; (1) providing basic amenities, better education, business opportunities (2) changing the individual consciousness (3) Rule of law and Justice for all (4) Electing the true representatives of the people / Free and Fair Election Commission. Only then can we be able follow the golden words of the Quaid i.e. UNITY, FAITH, DISCIPLINE.
aamir
August 14, 2012 1:00 pm
I disliked your comment but I could not disagree because today Muslims are safer to go to mosques then Pakistan. This is in fact a state of shame for we Pakistanis
aamir
August 14, 2012 12:54 pm
Wah wah, kiya kehne
aamir
August 14, 2012 12:55 pm
I agree totally
aamir
August 14, 2012 12:55 pm
Agreed 100%
bilal06
August 14, 2012 5:50 am
Many Pakistanis think that they are emotional about their homeland, I disagree and believe we are dishonest and unfaithful with our country. We do know that religious extremism is the biggest threat for our country, but still we deny this reality. Not only Hazaras and Hindus are the victims of religious extremism but also Ahmadis, Christians and Sikhs. I appreciate Mohammad Hanif for writing this article.
Muhammad
August 14, 2012 5:56 am
Shame on Us; Pakistan!!!
True Indian
August 14, 2012 6:26 am
Shame on you Pakistani Muslims....Shame on you....
Imran Azim Butt
August 14, 2012 6:34 am
Shame on the extremist elements in Balochistan who are involved in this brutal ethnic cleansing of the Hazaras there. Can some one look at the contribution the Hazaras have made in Pakistan in general and Balochistan in particular ???
Mukhtar Hussain
August 14, 2012 6:39 am
I don't know what would be the feeling after reading this article to reader, many of my brother and sister have been brain drained just because of sectarian violence from Quetta, whom i think were the true prosperous image of Pakistan, but unfortunately we haven't got the tongue to express our mumbling words which we have as a Pakistani in our hearts. Even we are a sign of question mark for the so called government as a Hazara. if this process will continue the same like my community and a story of boy from Shikarpur, than i think that coming days will be so horrific.
@amchangazi
August 14, 2012 6:48 am
Dar o dewaar pe hijrat k nishaan deakh aayen Aao!hum apne buzurgon k makaan deakh aayen Apni qismat main likhen hain jo virasat ki tarha Aao! ik baar wo zakhm e dil o jaan deakh aayen Aao! bheegi howi aankho se parhain noha e dil Aao! bikhray howe rishton ka ziyaan deakh aayen Jis se takra k giray thay kabhi arbaab e khard Aao! nazdeek se wo sang e giraan deakh aayen Waqt jatay howe kya likh gaya paishani per Aao asaftagi e ahad e rawan deakh aayen toota toota howa dil lay k phirain galiyoun main kachchi mitti k khilono ki dukaan deakh aayen Roushni k kaheen aasaar to baqui hongay Aao pighli howe shamoun ka dhuwaan deakh aayen Jin darakhtoun k talay raqs e saba hota tha Sookhay pattoun ka barasna bhi waha deakh aayen Ab farishtoun k siwa koi na aata hoga Koun deta hay kharabay main aazan deakh aayen Muddatoun baad mahajir ki tarha aaye hain Routh jaye na khandar ;aaon miyaan deakh aayen
KNJ
August 14, 2012 6:54 am
What about the killing of sunni's in Quetta? This is not a one sided affair!
Ahmed
August 14, 2012 7:45 am
Yes, there are killings of moderate Sunni Deobandi ulemas by Takfiree Taliban and LeJ. Let's hope the government takes action against the killers of them, and Shias.
Manto
August 14, 2012 8:15 am
This is a very touristy type of an article. Disappointed in Hanif's lazy attempt at journalism. What will be his next topic? Some quotes from a taxi driver who turned out to be an Ahmadi? Conversations with a pagan from Kalash while smoking up in a Islamabad cafe? Hanif sahab, we expect the best from you. This article isn't one of them. Sorry to sound so harsh.
Amna
August 14, 2012 8:24 am
The main issue is within our mind sets. All of us need to shake out of passively accepting genocide, whether literal or cultural. We must act now rather than hoping the government will take action. 'Shames on us' will not help either. I propose a systematic and intelligent vigilante force that will shake Terror to its core. Remember, nothing is impossible- it just needs to be planned & executed efficiently.
sardar
August 14, 2012 8:32 am
we admit our mistakes but what the indian do with their minorities??killing of muslims in asam and your government officials are involved in these acts.extremist hindus are not ready to give rights to muslims of kashmir.not only the muslims are the target of hindus but also other communities . india starts blue star operation against sikhs and destroy their temples.
sajjadchangezi
August 14, 2012 9:07 am
Thumbs up for Ustad Mohammad Hanif, the voice of the voiceless !!!!!
@89Syeda
August 14, 2012 9:08 am
very nice and heart touching indeed.
azhar
August 14, 2012 9:10 am
i m 100% agreed with u
janjuah
August 14, 2012 9:13 am
Shame on politicians who are celebrating the independence today....in their levish style ... we have a land (country) but without any kind of frredom we must cry today as we are not free from any fear......... wait for that day.....
Lakshmidhar Malaviya
August 14, 2012 9:14 am
My dear Changezi sahab, I am not a Pakistani, nor a Muslim and have been living in Japan for the past four decades, yet the pathos in your gazal brought tears rolling down on snow white beard of this 78 years old! I thank you for your poem. Lakshmidhar Malaviya Kyoto, Japan
Aziz Ali
August 14, 2012 9:21 am
On the day of independent where everyone is busy congradulating each other the independency, There are several Hazara and other suppressed community youth who silently whisper with himself. Homeland: we have been persecuted and slaughtered, we have been forcefully converted We have been forced to leave our businesses, offices, schools and universities.... I have no other option but to leave you...
amjad
August 14, 2012 9:26 am
the problem not only lies with the govt but also we all r resp for all what our country is going through. we all must look into ourselves and think that what we r contributing to our country. we always only crib & crib but do not think about our own mistakes
aaa
August 14, 2012 9:27 am
Everyone writes only whatever they find negative about pakistan. Good that one finds these things and points them out but i really wish that the normal everyday life should also be protrayed to an extent. People from all sects etc do live together work together. If one is hired in a bigger institue one can see all sorts of people. Noone ever mentioned that majority of the nurses in pakistan are local christians and work in all sorts of places. If i only talk of one place i worked in pindi there were all sorts of people there was even a chinese who later on got married to a colleague. They are still married. And yes she was a pakistani girl married to chinese man. A very typical pakistani girl not from some very ultraliberal family. Nepalese students came yearly to our professional institutes as they have seats on quotas and they get mingled up with everyone as if they are pakistanis and yes they are from different religions. For once highlight something positive.
AHMED
August 14, 2012 9:33 am
I nominate AAZ , Raja Ashraf and Rehman Malik for Noble Prize, PPP government is a true revolutionary democracy like many others govt before it, it has successfully made everyone leave the country just as PM GIlani had suggested. Now we have no problems to solve. I reckon now half of Indian and Pakistan population is living overseas. Indian are staying home. However, Pakistan must continue on this path because this is only way to control the population...by exterminating or exporting our people.
TruePakistani
August 14, 2012 9:39 am
i hope KNJ got his answer! I salute the Hazara people, first they were brutally killed by Talibans in Afghan & now the same people are killing them in Pakistan!
Hassan Hakeem
August 14, 2012 9:39 am
Come over to Punjab, where like the five rivers, Balouch is a Punjabi, Pathan is a Punjabi, Kashmari is a Punjabi, Gujjar & Jatt are Punjabi, Arian, Rajput, Awan, Mirza & Syed are Punjabi & Shia / Suni are also Punjabi. And we all Punjabies are PAKISTANI.
Muhammad
August 14, 2012 2:29 pm
There might have been Human rights violations in Kashmir, or Gujrat Riots. But Karachi Burns everyday, Ahmadiyas, Hindus, Sikhs, Christians, Shias all suffer in Pakistan. Look at the genocide Pakistani army committed against Bengalis.
Sachcha-Hindustani
August 14, 2012 3:31 pm
LMAO!! :D
Tooba
August 14, 2012 4:18 pm
very sad indeed......
Sam
August 14, 2012 4:49 pm
Extra-ordinary
Sabir H
August 14, 2012 5:08 pm
Nice article,
sattar rind
August 14, 2012 5:07 pm
it might be short story for many of us. but both communities are really in trouble.
dhk
August 14, 2012 5:27 pm
so what is your solution ?
Azaad Freeman
August 14, 2012 5:44 pm
Wonderful!!! Wonderful!!! Wonderful!!!
Jehanzeb Idrees
August 15, 2012 9:03 am
Shame on Indians for what's happening to Muslims in Assam ...
AAP
August 14, 2012 6:30 pm
The only way not to solve a problem is by blaming it on others
Aaqil
August 14, 2012 7:05 pm
I really like this poem and please share the name of the poet/poetess?
Nasir Abbas <HURR>
August 14, 2012 7:45 pm
Ris Raha Hey Jo Lahu Najaney Kis Ka Hey? Ho Jis Kisi Ka meri Zameen Ke Sapooth Ka Hey Hey Jis Kisi Ka Bhi Hey Woh Nasl-E-Insaan Sey Tapak Gya Jo Lahuu Wo Bani Adam Ka Hey Hey Sub He Maaou'n Ka Rishta Faqat Ek Mamta Sey Mere Khayal Mei Wohi Rishta Lahuu Lahuu Ka Hey Wo Jiska Beta Thha.. Maa Meri Zaban Na Bolti Thhi Najaney Phr Bhi Kyu Mujhey Andazaa Uskey Dard Ka Hey Huyi Hey Raat HURR Ab Subhi Thhak Haar So Chukey Hongey Kuch Ghro Mey Bapa Matam Magar Yeh Kiska Hey?? The point to ponder is that why we are getting intolarent in Pakistan. I should accept others with whatever religious ethnic cutural background he belongs to similarly I expact that others will accept me for who ever what ever I am. I mean whats the point if we all become same in all respects? Think of a garden where each and every flower is of the same color size and scent??
Adnan
August 14, 2012 8:13 pm
I sincerely wish and pray to God that one day you come back and visit and live in Pakistan safely with your kids. Please pray for this land. I am so sad.....
H L
August 14, 2012 8:27 pm
What are you saying dude? I don't get it.
H L
August 14, 2012 8:28 pm
Stop finger pointing. You do what you are supposed to do. Prove by actions. 2 wrongs don't make a right. You are sounding like our corrupt politicians. You did this.. so what .. you also did that.
Makhdoom
August 14, 2012 8:36 pm
Thank you amna, I totaly agree, I think and suggest every to start practically to build this country, and lets get rid of corrupts
kamran
August 14, 2012 9:23 pm
i salut to dawn, for raising voice over these issues, other media groups are just money making machine. but i will like to say, dawn is revealing the disease , but they should have columinst, who shows us the cure. because we have about 50 % literacy rate. they should reveal the truth about , who is financing,to terrorist in pakistan, they should have a courage to write the name of any brother or so called sister country giving money in waziristen.
shaheen ali hazara
August 14, 2012 11:29 pm
nice article,i missed my 2 best friend from last year,they r now in australia,they travelled from indonesia to australia by boat for asylum seeker in australia.my friends r the students of balochistan university,they leave their studies incomplete.
jasus
August 15, 2012 1:13 am
Adnan: even the God has gave up on Pakistan!
sajjad
August 15, 2012 2:31 am
Every Pakistani holding a Pakistani passport should have equal rights.You come to foreign countries and once you get their nationality they treat you as their first class citizen.We have so much to learn from democratic western world and I am talking about basic values like equality , justice , respect and tolerance for others .These were supposed to be our values
Raza
August 15, 2012 2:51 am
Couldn't control my tears to come out, being from the persecuted Hazara tribe your poem really reflects my emotions. Heart touching poem
WiseIndian
August 15, 2012 4:32 am
Recently, 300+ Hindus migrated to India due to security issue in Pakistan. Pakistan should at least help Hindus to leave Pakistan in peaceful manner.
Optimistic
August 15, 2012 6:04 am
I hope and pray that you will live with us in your homeland secure and happy...dont let this be just a memory
Ghinva Raza
August 15, 2012 6:41 am
Likes Mr.Changez!! fondness, humbleness and a hint of patriotism..its just enduring..
deepak
August 15, 2012 7:04 am
so beautiful and touching.
Swapnil
August 15, 2012 9:25 am
well i totally agree with u that religious extremists are the biggest threat for pakistan not only for the minorities muslims like hazaras, ahmadiyas but also for the non muslim communities like hindus, sikhs and christians.....they are also pakistanis.......but unfortunately these are committing atrocities on their own people.......while in india the population of minorities especially muslims have been increased to 24%since 1947 while in pakistan population of non muslims (especially Hindus & Sikhs) have been reduced to 13% to less than 1% now.......its time for u to think about the dream that jinnah saw about pakistan...is todays pakistan is same what jinnah dreamt about?????
Swapnil
August 15, 2012 9:27 am
Kumail
August 15, 2012 9:38 am
Beautiful!!!
ShaukatFarooq
August 15, 2012 3:56 pm
My head hangs in SHAME.I hope the heads of the rulers will also hang in shame.I hope the heads of judiciary will also hang in shame.I hope the heads of Armed forces will hang in shame.I hope the heads of civil and police will hang in shame.I hope the heads of civic society and so called intelligencia will hang in shame.We need solidarity and justice.Unfortunately our ruling class does not stand for these principles.In fact they feel so unsafe in the country they rule that they are surrounded by gunmen all around.How can they protect all their couhtrymen.
Zafarullah Al Baksh
August 15, 2012 4:02 pm
Shame on Congress on whats happening to Indians (Hindus and Muslims) in Assam by the Bangladeshis
Zafarullah Al Baksh
August 15, 2012 4:03 pm
Is that your justification for killing Hazaras??
Nish
August 15, 2012 7:13 pm
You are saying this because of lack of knowledge and pre assumption. First get the real facts of the situation and then comment.
D Azad UK
August 16, 2012 1:11 pm
I hope one day our Hazara brother live peacefully in Pakistan. I have given up hop though...
Pessimistic
August 18, 2012 6:49 pm
after looking at Rinki Kumari Case and Salman Taseer - I don't think any non-muslim wants to live in Pakistan.. I will work like a servant abroad then live in Pakistan like a King.
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Poll