Dawn News

Drama serials: Golden Age?

A Pakistani drama serial has brought the nation together once again, reminding people of the ‘80’s when ‘Waris’ and ‘Tanhaiyaan’ are fabled to have left the streets of Lahore deserted.

Pakistani drama had been witnessing a revival for a couple of years now, but not until Humsafar did that scattered babble converge to a deafening roar; confronting the unsuspecting on every corner regardless of consent. It is the kind of all-encompassing popularity that legends are made of, and who but the shallowest snob would begrudge such a culturally defining moment?

So, to bring myself up to speed, I decided to spend one weekend on YouTube catching up on the Pakistani zeitgeist. Closing the dozen or so windows that are usually open on my Chrome at any given time to allow my computer optimum performance and speed, I settled down to plug into the pop-culture rhythm of modern Pakistan.

It didn’t begin very promisingly. The principal characters were immediately defined through tired old tropes of class — poor girl with chadar equal to good and chaste; rich girl in jeans, spoilt and forward. Add to that the poverty-stricken but upright mother on her death bed and (the soon to turn into) evil NGO-aunty mother-in-law, and every tired old cliché in the Pakistani moral universe begins to gnaw at whatever little substance the play had to begin with. These said characters then proceeded to act in the way the middle class writer’s imagination perceives poor people act, or equally rich ones. The women orbiting in their pre-determined paths around the intense and manly object of desire whose taut face and pregnant pauses helped drive the contrived ‘plot’.

While the female characters are painted through a Nazeer Ahmed-esque moral lens of angelic goodness and devilish design, the man’s agreeableness remains superfluous to his desirability, perhaps even detrimental to it; his unreasonable suspicions being proof of his virile masculinity.

Sarah, who in the first 15 minutes is presented as the demure sidekick in Asher’s business, suddenly discovers a histrionic streak that would put Malka-e-Jazbaat, Bahaar to shame.

That there are women who might choose to behave like Sarah when they find out that the love of their life is betrothed to another is not under doubt, neither is the fact that there are women like Khirad who could be led into marrying a stranger because they have no other option; the problematic bit is that all Pakistani plays across the board depict most ‘lovable’ female characters in this light. This is their idea of what people want, and with the unprecedented success of Humsafar, it seems like they’ve got it right.

The play’s popularity amongst the well-to-do, private school-educated classes is the most fascinating aspect of this phenomenon. It is possible that the main reason for it is the charisma of Fawad Khan and the dewy faced Mahira, at least if my class full of 15-year-old girls is any proof, but our perverse obsession with suffering is also another plausible reason for its success. Suffering women in particular seem to be placed on a pedestal; by men because they are the ultimate romantic symbols of womanly sacrifice, by women because it is nice to be validated on screen for life choices that have them personally unfulfilled but socially approved.

The sad irony is that Haseena’s heroines challenged the status quo by being their bubbly, independent, if hopelessly romantic selves; in comparison, the Khirads and Sarahs of today are a firm step backward. Those earlier women had time to be just women, with humour, grace and tenacity that lent texture and authenticity to their characters. Today’s specimens perpetually shuffle from one tear-jerker to another; their whole lives one long, painful dirge on the hazards of being a woman in a patriarchal world they have no interest in challenging or shaping. Sassy, single women of the repressed ‘80’s (think Badar Khalil in Tanhaiyan) had the wherewithal to support two grown-up, orphaned nieces without any of them being played for the ‘bechaari’ sentiment that drives most depiction of women today. Besides, female friendship was celebrated, whether amongst college friends, sisters or between aunts and nieces. The Sarah and Khirad model inevitably pits them against one another, rendering them useless without the pivotal man in the middle.

Today’s plays, including Humsafar, are much like Razia Butt novels, just having shifted mediums from the inside pages of a women’s weekly to the 8 o’clock slot on television. Only through this switch the impact of their regressive mindset has widened considerably, entrenching our society’s stereotypes ever more solidly into our consciousness.

Sabahat Zakariya likes the sound of her voice, so she teaches. She also likes the sight of her words, hence she blogs at Silsila-e-Mah-o-Saal.

Email news tips and feedback to News Desk, submit blogs to Blog Desk and share photos and Videos with Special Projects Desk.

Kashif Khan
Mar 03, 2012 12:07pm
Loved the article...I have the same views about the show but couldn't have put it this eloquently...
Umar
Mar 03, 2012 12:19pm
Out of proportion use of difficult English words. Same message could have been conveyed in two paragraphs, with a lot less pain.
Nadeem
Mar 03, 2012 12:38pm
Couldn't have agreed with the writer more!
sam
Mar 03, 2012 12:45pm
My sister puts it beautifully "The digest reading ladies have finally been heard". I think its a hit more because of the chemistry between Mahira and Fawad, otherwise the story is common and the characters stereotypical.
shaista farrukh
Mar 03, 2012 12:45pm
This drama is nothing but a propaganda vehicle for patriarchy in our society. The jeans t-shirt wearing evil vamp Sara, the seedhi-saadhi shalwar kameez and dupatta-clad Khirad, the saintly prize all the women fight over, Asher and the evil as always NGO-aunty (because no working woman can ever be good). What is disturbing is that so many women in our society are liking this misogynistic tripe. It's a reflection on the sad state of affairs in our society. Our women admire a man who treats them like dirt; his wife on a mere suspicion. What about all those women who stay with their husbands despite having found out that they have cheated on them? All this drama has done is to brainwash another generation of pakistani girls into hating their gender and simply furthered the perpetuation of gender stereotypes in Pakistan.
Musa
Mar 03, 2012 12:52pm
"Humsafar’s popularity is sad evidence of the systemic erosion of Pakistan’s social consciousness since the enforced piety of Zia’s days. If Haseena Moin was the benchmark of mass popularity back then, then Humsafar is an indicator of our endemic regressiveness." EXCELLENT
Ahsan Nawaz
Mar 03, 2012 12:58pm
haven't seen even a single episode of it :D
dystopian
Mar 03, 2012 01:03pm
Very well said Sabahat Zakariya. I so agree with you. Unfortunately these "Khawateen digest" adaptations syndrome has hit our tv sector pretty badly. There is a dearth of good writers with vision. We're still imbibing the eroded "mushriqi" values that don't know the difference between 'sabr' and 'jabar'.
Khurram
Mar 03, 2012 01:08pm
Good article ... Agree with Umar, it could have been a bit more simple in terms of language.
ali
Mar 03, 2012 01:09pm
I could not understand even though English is my first language.
Farhan Kermani
Mar 03, 2012 01:18pm
I think its modern in every sense. Sara is independent, Khirad deals with the hurt ego unlike backward women (tried to be proved by the writer), Fauzia (the mother in law) is independent in pursuing her revenge. How were tanhayyan and other haseena moeens characters any modern? The truth is all kinds of people have and will continue to exist in Pakistan and the world. So lets just enjoy a drama which is directed well than try to draw negatives for the sake of it.
Saleh R
Mar 03, 2012 01:33pm
Regressive and degenerative! What's worrisome for me is that this deterioration is catching on because many other TV channels are getting on HUM TV's bandwagon ... and that my wife, like many other homemakers, is hooked on to HUM TV as well as 'Farmville'. By the way, the blogger definitely likes the sight of her words, i.e., she uses good English.
kamaljit Singh
Mar 03, 2012 01:36pm
Mohtarma Sahabat Thank you for taking be back in time with the mention of Waris. Those were the days when PTV was so popular with the Indian masses especially Punjabis that we used to miss our home work to watch Waris. My family would miss meals not to miss Waris. I long to listen to the dialogues and the and watch the face expressions. I do miss the compere of the program, if I remember correctly, Uchey Burj Lahore dey, He used to interview husband and wife and ask some questions if the other partner really knows his partner well. It was a treat to listen and watch. His style to say ' Galti ho gayee jee' when asking the audience. Would some body tell me if the Dramas are available in India in cds. Thanks for refreshing my memory to make me young and feel good.
Zeeshan
Mar 03, 2012 01:37pm
This popularity has nothing to do with the screenplay or acting or any thing related to the drama! Its all just facebook craze.
aizah
Mar 03, 2012 01:47pm
Yeah right!
tayyab
Mar 03, 2012 01:49pm
Well written. Reminds me of a story by Mumtaz Mufti. When he interviewed a lady from the red light district and she tells him that they have to be outgoing because the women at home are reserved and shy. He asked what will you do if women at home become outgoing and she replies then we will start practicing shyness. Maybe i have drawn a wrong analogy but i believe a bubbly heroine was as exotic in 80s as a chadar-clad Khirad in modern day elites.
Malik
Mar 03, 2012 01:53pm
I think the only reason for popularity of this drama is Fawad Khan for whom most of the girls (read women) of Pakistan have a soft spot! (no jealousy intended) :)
Yousuf
Mar 03, 2012 02:13pm
Ace That!!
hamid
Mar 03, 2012 02:18pm
I won't say the popularity of drama indicates any shift in society. It's just a good watch. Isn't the Cindrella story popular at all times?
Arif
Mar 03, 2012 02:41pm
Very well said! The center piece of today's stories are marriages: elite class suffering marital woes, women depicted as an object subjected to pain and humiliation in a patriarchal society. Sadly we have got no other themes. But the success stories of these dramas seal our mouths, the public want such stories.
Masood Ahmed
Mar 03, 2012 03:09pm
Bubble of Humsafar got busted.
Asim
Mar 03, 2012 03:17pm
The article writer clearly tries to get some mileage out of writing against something universally favourite. It's "cool" to criticise local/domestic work, especially the one's which are successful. Please stop being the pseudo-intellectualls we are not. Or at least respect the sensibilities of millions who love it. And please stop giving the impression that these plays influence social and moral behaviours.
sputnik
Mar 03, 2012 03:28pm
so.....what...
Mansoor Ali
Mar 03, 2012 03:37pm
Let's take it easy. its not supposed to be that serious and definitely no conspiracy theories please........ lets for once give credit to the one who deserves it.....
faraz
Mar 03, 2012 03:39pm
its just a drama,quite well acted .you will find these stories of good v evil all over the tvs in the world.its escapism not regressiveness and maybe our society needs to go back to the chadder and shalwar kameez era rather then jeans and t shirts.
Mehmudah Rehman
Mar 03, 2012 03:54pm
My sister was after me to watch Humsafar, still haven't gotten around to doing so. I like how this piece has been articulated -- the writer has used her words well and must be given due credit for it.
sehr jalil
Mar 03, 2012 04:49pm
hehe!chill out .; don't you think you are being the stereotypical writer judging the stereo types of the society- -i watch humsafar because it keeps me engaged and entertained till the last minute of every episode..i am not in to tv plays and i watch it with my mom who's an ardent tv serial follower/fanatic! so its family time, where my mom, i and now even my dad and brothers watch it and wait for it! in my home my mom has been an independent, cheerful working woman all her life..and now i am too. At the end of the show we sympathize with khirad, feel pitty for sara and detest farida:):)!!!so humsafar wont make us into those ppl but bring us away from them...---different writers, different eras, different aspirations and inspirations..maybe all that u r seeing is shallow and typical..and maybe so is the age that we r living in..v should leave comparisons aside....hasina moin was living in a time where 'mayb' the gap between 'khirad' and 'sara' was not as wide or maybe there were no khirads and saras at all.. there is a very nice tweet on sharmeen obaids oscar win(many ppl think that it represents a negative image of our country ..its about that) i think that its relevant here " ...I don't think so Pakistanis wd like if Edhi won Noble Prize. Will highlight our poverty & violence & so will be conspiracy against us." ..........sometimes we should just let things be..and enjoy them!
Jehanzeb
Mar 03, 2012 04:50pm
I don't mind critics at all, they are there to tell the people what needs to be done to improve. I am not an avid fan of Humsafar, but I admire its well earned popularity very much. Why I say so I will explain, but before I must apologize I am not well equipped with enormous vocabulary, so many might find it hard to understand. I admire this play because it is made in Pakistan, from that it goes on proving that if we strive in such a way it will create a better television for the Pakistani audience who will not in future resort to television from the across the border. To me it is the biggest achievement of Humsafar, that in the time slot where there is a rush of Indian Dramas it makes the Pakistani audience stick to their own shows. You yourself have said it has been just two years since the revival of Pakistani television has become and I am optimistic that in near future there will be more of experimenting that will be done and we would see some good and diverse television. For most who agree with the above stated writer must agree there have been plenty of shows which have been adressing other issues and one of the most popular amongst them was Daastan. Daastan concentrated on the stories of people who suffered due to Indo Pak division. So if u dont like it, come up with something new. Let the people do what they need to do. as far has the stories of Umera Ahmed and Farhat Ishtiaq are concerned they have written on diverse topics which needs to be studies and comprehended by the writer in detain.
Zeeshan
Mar 03, 2012 05:03pm
Youtube my friend has all the latest dramas, in part though but worth the hassle!
sehr jalil
Mar 03, 2012 05:02pm
exactly!
Mohammad A. Wahab
Mar 03, 2012 05:18pm
Dear Kamaljit, Hi. No doubt in your statements. As you can't separate Pakistani masses from Indian movies and music, likewise you can't separate Indian masses from Pakistani drama. Yaar we are same people but let me tell you sitting in Kinshasa-Congo, I have access to Sony channel dramas which though technically not very sound but propagate very strong family bonds which I like most. These days Pakistani dramas though exaggerated but still the best either you call them URDU or HINDI dramas. I really like them. Please send me your postal address, I will send you the available DVDs in Pakistan where I will be next month for a month. Cheers. Best wishes for you guys there on the other side of border.
Naveed
Mar 03, 2012 05:18pm
Very well-written...thoroughly enjoyed it.
kanwal
Mar 03, 2012 05:33pm
i have not watched this drama very closely yet but about author's points about Haseena Moin's female lead characters, i STRONGLY disagree. Most of her female characters were definitely "bubbly" and "hopelessly romantic", but i have yet to understand which of them was actually the kind of woman with an independant standing in society plus some significant contribution towards society? Other than of course, to the male lead character's life. They were defintely not the kind of "successful" girls i wanted to be and am grateful i did not turn out to be like them.
zara
Mar 03, 2012 05:45pm
You have just put words to my thoughts... well explained. but I must add that is what happens in all indian dramas too. They have the same story line with a lot more romance. And its true that the digest reading ladies have been heard and now the media it showing them what they want rather than giving them some thing better to increase there intellect.
kamran
Mar 03, 2012 06:09pm
Totally agreed. Nothing succeeds like success. We can be critical of anything and everything. There are so many flaws and weaknesses to the drama but I still enjoy watching it and by the way I am not a loser romantic type.It is not a regressiveness or anything as suggested by the lady, it just a good watch, reason I dont know and I don't care even.
farhan
Mar 03, 2012 06:26pm
agreed
Khizar
Mar 03, 2012 06:27pm
I agree with suspected after affects of sarah's asher syndrome..
sakib
Mar 03, 2012 06:23pm
I must say Hamsafar is second drama seriel after Qaid-e-Tanhai that has brought me back into watching Pak TV. In past, I only watched PTV dramas for their sheer quality, acting and originality but lost my love with them back in early 90s. Hamsafar is definitely a stereotypical story with same old twists and "what goes around, comes around" moral lesson but the reasons, I have admired the drama all through are much different. All credit and kudos to the director and actors. It is technically made and shot in a very professional manne; it's use of light, camera angles, colors, costumes and above all background music, that make this drama such a special treat to watch. To top it up, actors were chosen correctly to their strengths and they have shown it with great success, how good could they act. Last but not the least, social trends and misforgivings that blogger has hinted at, are not really that important for an audience like myself. We would like quality good acting with right chemistry and other ingredients that a great Drama must have. Congratulations to the team of Hamasaf!!
Mrs faisal
Mar 03, 2012 07:19pm
Actualy , the main reason for its popularity isthat such a universal theme as LOVE is depicted from various angles.. Father daughter love, mother-son love, brother-sister love, next sara's llove for ashr, khizars love for sara.. Then mother - daughtr love.. So the public itself is involved in alll these love triangles..and just loves the feeling and satisfaction to see somebodys problems solved
Sundus
Mar 03, 2012 07:44pm
well, in my view d plot of humsafar is just as ordinary as anything & has no enthralling themeline, its just the marvel of actors and the directions dat made it a huge hit, n yeah there is no far far comparison with the 80's PTV Dramas, which one could easily and actually relate with oneselves and the REAL LIFE
Hina
Mar 03, 2012 08:10pm
Dear writer, The use of such "thick" English to comment on a simple drama was completely unnecessary. You have your views and you are partially right but I had not watched Pakistani dramas for last 13 years because I was so put off by the bombardment of Indian soap style fashions, themes and dialogues. Humsafar takes the credit for bringing viewers like me back to Pakistani dramas while living in a foreign land for more than a decade. For many of us there were some very good lessons in the show. For instance you missed the parts where Khirad never wants to lie. We learned one should not waste their life for one sided love like Sara, Zarina repents her evil actions and also people would learn that no matter how guilty a person seems to be they should always be given a chance to explain themselves. The dialogues were beautiful and the story was simple. Also, what was so great about Haseena Moeen shows that is missing from Humsafar?
G.A.
Mar 03, 2012 09:06pm
Your response reminds me of what Nadeem F Paracha wrote about West based expat Pakistanis. In Pakistani dramas and movies they went from being looked up to as educated and sophisticated role models in the 60's into mere Westernised clowns by the end of Zia era. That women in jeans are somehow morally corrupt is a subset of that myopic image created during the Zia years. Hence this revulsion to anything Western in the Pakistani society.
Tanveer Khan
Mar 03, 2012 09:35pm
I had been trying to figure out what was wrong with this show. Now I know. Thanks for putting it so accurately.
Salman
Mar 03, 2012 10:13pm
Aunty Jee, watch dolly kee Barat!!
S Haider
Mar 03, 2012 10:26pm
Hit the nail on the head.
Bird's eye revi
Mar 03, 2012 10:34pm
The reason of popularity of this serial is that Men and boys watch it for Mahira khan and other girl.Women & girls for fawad khan and those who dont watch it for above two reasons watch it for its OST in QB's voice.Actually its OST of this drama which made people to watch the whole drama.Infact the success of this serial can be credited to the Hamsafar song and QB's voice.
Ahmad Zubairi
Mar 03, 2012 10:38pm
Interesting article although I completely disagree with it as being portrayed as regression I see it as progression. In normal psychological development people go through a phase of change societies do the same. One thing that happens in the process is a craving to go back to the old ways. When hasina moeen portrayed girls as bold and outgoing it was enjoyed as a break from cultural norms . Now we are at a next step when we are thinking and comparing the Sara and khirads and trying to decide which is better. It is no different then showing dramas depicting villagers moving to city and forgetting their values and then realizing in the end and going back to old ways. So you see the next step will be we hopefully coming out with a mixed identity of eastern and western values. Interesting to note across the border what has happens. We used to have movies in 1980's in India showing one song per movie of a scantily clad woman usually played by helen. But then woman is now changed and taken over by the heroin and that is the norm. Hopefully we won't go there.
HM
Mar 03, 2012 10:39pm
Thank you for your insights Sabahat. I had my reservations about this drama when I saw the promo -- I haven't seen an episode yet, but after reading this article I'm expecting to be thoroughly disappointed! I'm really glad to see that someone sees beyond the veneer and understands that entertainment is *never* just entertainment. Some of us seem to be so taken with the fact that it's well-produced etc (hurrah for that) but we, as Pakistani viewers, need to learn *not* to settle for the same ghissi-pitti Cinderella story over and over which perpetuates the same stereotyped roles for women (the chader-clad achhi bachi and the jean-clad buri bachi.) We're fools to think that these stereotypes, or roles cast in them, have no implications on our cultural psyche. Let's leave the empty glitz, the cheap tear-jerkers and over-dramatization to India -- We, as Pakistanis, can (and should) expect more subtlety and substance from the entertainment we produce and consume -- we're a talented nation, that's not much to ask.
sofia rehman
Mar 03, 2012 10:58pm
What a load of crap you have just written!!!!the drama is a wonderful watch not just khawateen digest reading women but very educated ,advanced women too ,so stop being a judge!!!and let the drama of pakistan revived instead of just criticising with your fancy vocabulary.
Ali
Mar 04, 2012 12:22am
I cant stand reading "critiques" designed to hunt for flaws in everything! Really. This drama is just that, a drama! If it was written about something mundane like your life(or any other common person's life) it wouldn't be a DRAMA! Why cant people understand that its popular because masses like it? Why do we have to look for 'keray (insects)' in everything? Sadly, that is the real tragedy of our society today. Not everything is made for everyone. Just enjoy the fact that there is a drama on TV that has reinvigorated the Pakistani drama scene once again. Many people enjoy it, more than any other drama. That in itself is the testament of its success. Just because you are ticked off about the portrayal of jeans wearers doesn't mean that it does not resonate with the masses. Mind you, majority of Pakistanis are not going around wearing jeans and T-shirts at home or work, neither men or nor women.
Indusonian
Mar 04, 2012 12:24am
Stories of betrayal, ,extra marital affairs, disrespect of women, and lust for very close relatives is the theme of present dramas, wonder why ?
Sarah
Mar 04, 2012 12:51am
Lighten up Humsafar haters. Yes, there are some stereotypical one-dimensional characters in the story and the acting and direction could be better. However, this is JUST a story - one among many stories in our society - and is not a Big Sad Reflection of Our Regressive Society. I feel highly amused that all blogs and articles I've read on Humsafar have only been negative and sounding the alarm for a degeneration of our cultural tastes. Every drama makes use of social stereotypes - so this author made use of some ... Big Deal! Class divides exist, hysterical women exist, crazy mom in laws exist, unassuming wives exist and husbands who dont communicate well esp in arranged marriages exist. Or would you pretend none of these are in our society and therefore, this drama is a big joke.
m younis
Mar 04, 2012 02:34am
it was my favourite drama i usually not like to watch pakistani drama but i m inspired to see humsafar
Adnan
Mar 04, 2012 03:03am
Three cheers to your post! There is no point of comparing two plays. You can compare the styles but not characters. I wish we all started appreciating good things rather than finding a way to doubt them!!
Zain
Mar 04, 2012 04:55am
Great blog and I appreciate and respect the writer's opinions. But I do beg to differ. I think the main protagonist did stand up for herself in the second half of the drama, while the jean-wearing counterpart came across as perhaps the most sympathetic characters, one that many of us--irrespective of our socio-economic backgrounds-- can relate to at some level, especially if we have seen our love unrequited too. More importantly, I think while analyzing it, we should keep in mind that Humsufar was not high culture. It was not even theatre. And I can imagine that most people in Pakistan have enough problems of their own that at the end of the day when they sit back and watch a TV or a movie, they look for escapist-entertainment. Which explains, for example, the incredible popularity of Bollywood in Pakistan! Sure, if people are looking for educating dramas then PTV might still be churning out a few hard hitting ones with a message that challenges streotypes. But there is a reason why PTV is dead. Entertainment, not education, is what the public wants. True, many of us, myself included, can be non-conformists and tend to distance ourselves from what the 'masses' seem to prefer. But we should give credit where it is due because Humsufar aptly served its purpose: keeping people hooked and entertained. Even as a guy who lives in the US and who has not watched a Pakistani drama for a long long time, I have to concede that there was 'something' in Humsufar that would have me check out YT for the latest installment of this serial every Saturday. I don't regret that and honestly I won't mind watching similar dramas in future too.
Syed Kamran Naqvi
Mar 04, 2012 04:56am
Well Sabahat, I don't get what exactly you are trying to say here. Our TV drams portray where we are at in the real world. Isn't this happening 20 years ago and today as well with majority of the women? Saas and Bahu rivalry still persist in a huge way. The only difference is that today's Bahu is able to successfully separate her husband from the family but 20 years ago it wasn't possible. We are still living in a world of status quo. Poor are still treated a piece of junk in our society. Don't you think we need to mention this in our TV dramas? Atleast poor can relieve a bit when they see despite of difference in class, the two are getting along afterwards.
Shaby
Mar 04, 2012 06:32am
I am not a Humsafar fan. But that's the irony of this country, judgmental people like you (writer of this article) have nothing better to do in life than judging success of others. If you don't like something move on in life and let others live in peace.
Usman H
Mar 04, 2012 06:36am
You have provided a very accurate description of the downfall of the Pakistani drama serial. I may add that Shoaib Mansoor is another writer/producer who has used strong female leads, Alpha Bravo Charlie comes to mind as one example.
sara
Mar 04, 2012 08:55am
I absolutely loved the drama serial Humsafar. I enjoyed it for it's story, the acting and ofcourse the hero! And please the scheming motherinlaw, the other woman, stupid shortsighted and mother worshiping man - all exist even today! If you like I can definately put you in touch with people with such crazies in their lives that this drama will seem tame in comparison. It definately touched a nerve with me and i enjoyed watching it!
Shama
Mar 04, 2012 09:29am
I would agree to most parts related to predictable behaviours.However, it was much loved for its ability to showcase a beautiful love story and the awesome chemistry between two really good-looking people.
Karim
Mar 04, 2012 10:11am
Hamsafar broke the records (tahbahi macha di). Sadly, we won't get a series like this for another generation or so. I'm just amazed by some of the bozo comments here. The reality is that most men admire women like Khirad and they would not mistreat or cheat on them. Wearing Jeans and imitating western culture won't make you one of them, in fact some loose their true identity trying to fit in.
Shujaat
Mar 04, 2012 10:17am
Hi; i do not under one thing that why over her in pakistan people use such english which can not be easily understood at first glance. i found much easier to read material on bbc website.
Faisal
Mar 04, 2012 11:19am
Umar, her prose is very compelling. That's the parlance the cultural critics use.
M
Mar 04, 2012 11:24am
Well, I think almost every single one of you has completely missed the point of Humsafar. An undeniable obsession with so-called Western ideals have currently pervaded Pakistani society and this is being reflected in our media, and especially, our dramas. A typical drama or soap will glamorise the Western mindset, so that the protagonists will be consistently wearing jeans and engaging in nothing short of promiscuity. Is this what we want Pakistan to become? Nothing but a cheap, carbon-copy of the West? I find Humsafar refreshing as Khirad, is a girl that evidently holds Islam dear to her heart with her chaddar, her prayers and Quran recitation. However, she is not the stereotypical doormat that other dramas strive to portray when dealing with a middle-class girl. This character is embodies strength and independence, which is evinced throughout the serial. Sara diametrically opposes Khirad, yet it is not because she is wearing jeans. It is her attitude. She could not live without a man, whereas Khirad, did it for four and a half years. And did it well. If this sort of a character is being labelled as "regressive," then I am proud not only to BE regressive but for being a fan of these regressive dramas.
Zahid
Mar 04, 2012 12:03pm
Hey Shujaat, Thanks a lot for saying that,I couldnt agree more with you on this ! As I was reading this piece,I was getting so frustrated with the article and was about to comment that I saw your feedback.I have prety much been reading main US and UK papers for a very long time and I have never seen such a vocabulary used in these pieces.I think the probelm is that most of the people who write in English papers in Pakistan think that they are part of an elitist Pakistan and they try to prove that they part of the "haves"of Pakistan which is insane basically because even in the bets papers of the world,no one writes the way Pakistanis write. Its disappointing and also depicts Pakistani society and mentality of the people. Thanks for your comments!
Shazia
Mar 04, 2012 01:28pm
Very entertaining and captivating, the way the story unfolds. The simple strength of right over wrong, the message that when you reach the heart of evil...there is nothing there, and facets of a woman's love, as a mother, daughter, wife, sister and a friend's unilateral fatal attraction. The viles of womanhood are evident through social inequality, stereotyping, possessiveness, inability to accept change. These things do exist in our society. I would see this from the author's perspective. Not to be compared to romantic comedies. The current show "Bulbulay" is trashy on its own grade...I would not bring it any where near Haseena Moin's dramas :) either.
sohail
Mar 04, 2012 02:14pm
very good written
maryam m imam
Mar 04, 2012 02:50pm
I fully understand the writer's issue with humsafar , its not really the story , characters definition, the whole execution of the story , the sincerity of the human emotion and how these emotions drive a person to determine their outcome, its also not the validation that beauty can be simple instead of being loud and 'glamorous type' or sometimes people reach an intersection and only then realize that they have come the wrong way...there is nothin wrong with judging......its the norms here, what the writer does not realize that whats actually botherin her is the sheer popularity of this play, this whole humsafar package...that drove people to cancel out dinners and dentist appointment on saturday evening......had humsafar not been popular, ur article would have been why such plays like humsafar were not being able to capture the masses attention and why they r hooked on to the typical dosri shadi, or dosri aurat in life type playyyyyyz. humsafar was a rockstar, and it will remain to be for some time!!!!!! cheeeerrrzzzzz
Junaid
Mar 04, 2012 03:00pm
I have one suggestion for the author. She needs to tone down her use of multi syllable english words and make it simple enough for a 'Dawn' reader to understand. What is the point of writing an article that only a English major can understand. You can leave your mastery of language in your MA English classes and write from your heart. Then only you will connect with your readers. As for the editors of this article, I am surprised that you didn't ask for a rewrite after reviewing the article
Nida
Mar 04, 2012 03:29pm
Right Junaid, I second you ! Thats really the comment that I was about to write if I didnt see it here.
Nida
Mar 04, 2012 03:44pm
Yup..!! True Sehr ! Y we always pointed out and engage ourselves into findind negativities and flaws..?? Y this become mentality of us ?? After so many time, this is the serial that is successful in gathering all family members in front of screen and into "one same " choice !! As far as Sharmeen Oscar`s is concerned, So when we disclose and bring up the needy, the poor, attention seeker face of Pakistan, we were titled as "negative !" and when we talk about only good, good and good, we are tiltled as "Marvellous !" Great !!
Sana
Mar 04, 2012 04:45pm
@shaista farrukh, I could not have said it better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All others please wake-up.
Minhaj Shiekh
Mar 04, 2012 05:25pm
bringing back the public from frusturated Drama trends from out countries is a big victory of Paki Drama Trends and its good to which we can say that it is our own's country made Drama in which we are taking interest
Farrukh
Mar 04, 2012 05:26pm
This is a very nicely written article. Junaid your post is a good reflection of how people today, rather than improving themselves would rather stay happy in a state of intellectual stagnation. This is also the point of the article – how the mindset of people has slipped into a state of regression. A simple solution for the readers would be to keep a dictionary at hand, and stop moaning.
sam
Mar 04, 2012 05:27pm
Humsafar is a drama and it is meant for entertainment of masses. Almost all of the people I know watched it and loved it. So why this unnecessary criticism.
shafique
Mar 04, 2012 05:45pm
When people don't clearly know what they want to tell, they may pretend to be erudite and put the burden on the audience. The author tried to do just that. If she really loves the sight of her words, she should put only those on Dawn that are relevant.
umar
Mar 04, 2012 06:14pm
furrukh ! who have time to keep a dictionary nor even search the web for these difficult words...dawn is full of articles written in 'easy to understand english'....btw jaunaid i totally agree with you !
Yasir
Mar 04, 2012 06:34pm
This article - not humsafar - represents the change that happened in Pakistan. We were able to appreciate good things. Now, 'everything' good or bad gets crticizied. Sometimes without logic.
Sumaiya
Mar 04, 2012 07:00pm
I second you Farrukh!Good language is not appreciated anymore.Keeping a dictionary is a good idea...
Sami Khan
Mar 04, 2012 07:09pm
Haseena Moin's plays and Humsafar fall into very different genre. There have been similar plays that became hits on PTV. While the Nazir-esque observation has some merit, women in Haseena Mon's play also portrayed a certain of characteristics which could be termed 'typical'. Overall Humsafar had more than just characterisation to it. Compelling dialogue, quality acting and some slick direction contributed to the success: PTV's plays of the past, including Haseena Moin's, had the same attributes.
saqib
Mar 04, 2012 07:56pm
Right Junaid & Nida, I third you, even though I do agree with some of the points that the writer is trying to pose but the choice of words are in bad taste
Zeus
Mar 04, 2012 08:23pm
When I watched humsafar I never once thought "oh that Chaddar wearing girl is a good girl and that jeans wearing girl is evil." part of the problem with society is that we accuse other of harboring stereotypes when ourselves we harbor them. I appreciated the depth of each character, ie khirad's fierceness as a mother and wronged woman, Sara's love (obsession) with ashar. I found Sara smart but her mistake was her singular focus on ashar and not being the smart, independent woman she was!!!! How will our society move ahead when we judge ppl by what they wear, just like the author seems to? We don't look at character!
ahmed
Mar 04, 2012 08:42pm
All of us enjoyed Humsafar because of all the good work of cast and crew, However, Humsafar represents all the males in Pakistani society where mothers, sisters or other family members manipulate the mother worshiping men into treating their wives no more then servants. It has happened to all of us and it is happening that our society puts all the burden on one male and let him forget his new family so Asher was one of us hence we can easily identify. Also another important point was even a westernized modern high society mothers act no different then old patriarchal family. Author is right women were not presented realistically. Mother as evil and wife as saint without any faults...hard to imagine any khirads in this day and age. Now talk back hundreds time before a word is uttered by anyone.
G.A.
Mar 04, 2012 08:51pm
So I checked out clips of Humsafar on YouTube, trying to figure out what all the commotion is about. I can sum it up in just one word: Depression! The cast is either crying or seriously upset and that applies to most Pakistani soaps. Watching depression can only be so good for the health of a nation that is already surrounded by morbidity. These serials are anything but escapism from the daily grind.
Aley
Mar 04, 2012 09:16pm
Dear All, Humsafar drama as a package was simply outstanding, I mean it reminded me of the time two decades ago when we used to talk about the dramas like "Tanhiyan and Ankahi" and now is this one. Though i am not a big fan of watching dramas, but I admit that "Humsafar" made me really involved and just waiting for every week on sat to watch the drama. I can say with confidence that this drama will bring back our viewership. Excellent Soundtrack by QB Excellent Acting by Fawad Excellent acting by Mahira
babar
Mar 04, 2012 10:15pm
humsafar become the soul of the people all around in the world this is the fawad khan who provide such a solid romantic acting its all because of him...............
Michael
Mar 04, 2012 10:19pm
No doubt, drama was interesting and it had good climax; good moral story. But as usual our drama ending-is always too long and seems to me that it only serves our corporate culture. "I know u need big bucks from coporate world but not at the expense of boring me at the end".
Sam Syed
Mar 04, 2012 10:28pm
I really fail to understand the point you are trying to make. At one point in time, our ancestors learned Persian to be able to read and write classical Urdu, now people are supposed to write in every day English just so that their audience would readily understand them? The last I checked, dictionaries were created for precisely this purpose.
sara
Mar 04, 2012 10:43pm
then stop watching so many pakistani dramas and instead pick up a book! otherwise your vocab will remain that of a 5th grader!
lida
Mar 04, 2012 10:53pm
Sabahat Zakariya , I respect your opinion. But to be honest watching a drama is different from watching a movie. The characters are built and understood over a period of time. Watching dramas on youtube does not do justice to any good drama. Humsafar success is testament to good drama. The story might be cliche but the execution of the drama was done unlike any other I have seen. The higlights include: 1) direction 2) camera work 3) lighting 4) world class music ( unlike indian dramas jingles) 5) acting (atiqa's climax acting and fawad's expression ) was unlike what we commonly see. kudos to Humtv for making me a convert along with thousands of others. no more Indian movies for me ..good riddance..
dL70
Mar 04, 2012 11:40pm
Articulate, thoughtful read. I haven't seen Humsafar but nevertheless I enjoyed it because of your writing. As someone else so succinctly (long word alert) puts it - your prose is very compelling.
Yasir Razzaq Khokhar
Mar 05, 2012 12:30am
Very well written and almost express the society voices.
Afnan Ahmed
Mar 05, 2012 02:23am
I agree with the article! If 'Humsafar' is the rebirth of our drama, I would call it a sad death more than a rebirth! It was addictive, like all soaps are! It was slow and predictable beyond imagination. Above all, it successfully degraded the relation of a mother. Sad as it is, that is what we, as a nation, have done mostly in the name of misguided leaders in the name of enlightened moderation and liberation. And please ... I have nothing against independence of media or modernism. But my culture and my values - I will stand up for them!!! And this was neither my culture, nor my values.
M D Qadri
Mar 05, 2012 02:38am
i don't understand the unnecessary criticism from the writer, and this line in the article that bothers me the most is 'The play’s popularity amongst the well-to-do, private school-educated classes is the most fascinating aspect of this phenomenon' ???? has she lost it ?? is she trying stereotyping the audience?? i find it very rude!!!
abid
Mar 05, 2012 03:12am
i really liked to watch indian daily soaps ....but one day my friend told me about this drama .....when i watched it , i was moved by pakistani talent ..i mean outstanding work .. after khuda aur muhabbat its my favourite of all time
J. Khan
Mar 05, 2012 03:32am
A very thoughtful critique on such a simple and disposable drama :) Well, I am not a drama viewer but I did watch a few episodes and it had all the elements of a super hit. Pretty girls, handsome and rich young, big houses, Benz and also a couple of fine looking old hags. Mix it all with a pretty dumb storyline and here is a perfect lazy and overly simplistic entertainment.
Abdul Jabbar
Mar 05, 2012 07:22am
I watched drama Humsafar from 1st episode, the story started in a different way and marriage of khirad and Ashar in unusal style made drama more real. Full credit to Fawad and mahira for making it successful.The artical was also interesting.
sja
Mar 05, 2012 07:22am
Hum celebrated the last episode for three hours. What progress we made or regressed but one thing is dismal that the title song of this program, as narrated by actor Sabzwari, that it was written at the division of Pakistan. The drama serial marvelled in conspiracies, distrust, doubts, self interests, and final destruction of the most important relationships in one's life --- mother. No wonder we have delved so much and pay so dearly for these break up of values and loss of trust and family relationships.
Sajid
Mar 05, 2012 08:24am
It was a drama n meant for public who wants to watch it....no compulsions. I can't believe that it has drawn so many people spending so precious time commenting about it that weather it was good or bad....wow,it shows some thing to me atleast
humera
Mar 05, 2012 09:42am
I second with you :-)
Ahmar Qureshi
Mar 05, 2012 10:49am
I have not seen this play so far, but my office colleagues talk so much of it that I feel like watching it! :-D Interesting part; One of my office colleague Asim having much resemblance with "Ashir" so we mostly call him with this name! :-D :-) Keep Doing Good Work! Nice ariticle
Omar Khalid
Mar 05, 2012 11:05am
The writer does not understand entertainment and does not understand the closeness humsafar brought to our homes, which I saw after 2o years with families gathering around the tube and throwing their emotions out. Well Done HUM TV
kamaljit Singh
Mar 05, 2012 11:16am
Shukriya Wahab Sahib; Ek baar nahin , hazaar baar.for your generosity .I live in Americas these days. often visiting India.
Faisal
Mar 05, 2012 11:52am
I don't know what's wrong with our TV dramas. There are other issue need to be discuss and showed, Tanhayan, Angan Tera, Waris etc, are the benchmark for the new comers and the people who are currently associated with media. Its time to revive the culture our Pakistani culture and mind that there is a difference between our culture & parosi ka culture.
khurram
Mar 05, 2012 12:00pm
awesomely written.. so true... and loved the punches in it :D "The women orbiting in their pre-determined paths around the intense and manly object of desire whose taut face and pregnant pauses helped drive the contrived ‘plot’."
H Awan
Mar 05, 2012 12:05pm
This is an interesting comment about the "digest reading ladies". What if they make a large %age of the TV watchers any ways. The most interesting part for me in the drama was the "hero's" character that revolves around an absolute looser personality that makes so much easier for people around him to be evil. Perhaps most people liked that as they can relate to it. Isn’t it what we do even as a country. Finally he acts like a hero in the last episode when all the possible evil are either dead or gone crazy or are not evil any more. Khirad came back home just to see her daughter & after a little speech to his mother, Ashar grabs her hand & takes her away like a bakri. It was a very simple one track drama that was easy to understand for common people. It provided good entertainment & the best part is the writer knew her audience very well.
lollywood
Mar 05, 2012 12:17pm
i agreed... offcourse its the golden era of pakistani dramas... thx to Pakistani talented persons.. hope for the best Pakistani Drama Industry...
Safoora
Mar 05, 2012 12:56pm
true you said, junaid. the article is ought to be comprehensible enough to be read by common lots,, and these articles are supposed only to 'convey' the message in a simpler way rather than trynna improve your english vocab whatsoever. i agree with nida n umar too.
Parus
Mar 05, 2012 02:39pm
Humsafar is a true hit.....Sarmad Sultan is very talented person and he really made Humsafar a top-notch.
wizz
Mar 05, 2012 02:57pm
We Pakistanis have an inferiority complex which we try to overcome by using big words. Please read any international magazine, most of the articles are written in simple English. About the Drama....What is wrong with you people ??? I mean 007 & Mission Impossible series revolves around single men with exceptional skills who rescue dumb female companion from death and save the world. The point is what is wrong with a little fiction? We loved Sherlock Holmes & X-Files just because they were pretty far from reality... Is'nt this what we call entertainment ?
wizz
Mar 05, 2012 03:04pm
We just loved criticizing huh... ? Few days ago i read a bunch of articles criticizing the Oscar Lady for "Saving Face" . Ofcourse that bunch of people belong the wanna-be-religious/less educated tier. While you author are a perfect example of the same class and thoughts with some English education.
Ahmar Qureshi
Mar 05, 2012 03:12pm
Well said Qadri sb, this only promotes the regional desparity of human made Upper, Middle & Lower Classs! What is "CLASS" any way? Sabahat No Offence, just an suggestion that you ought to mention your point of view like; "The play’s popularity with in the vogue youth & metropolis is the most fascinating aspect of this phenomenon" words that well eloquently projects One's idea without hurting other's feelings... :-)
zehrak
Mar 05, 2012 06:44pm
"Besides, female friendship was celebrated, whether amongst college friends, sisters or between aunts and nieces. The Sarah and Khirad model inevitably pits them against one another, rendering them useless without the pivotal man in the middle." That line is an example of your critique being clouded. If you were expecting a girl to cultivate a friendship with the wife of the man she's obsessively in love with, I want to live where you live with the friends you live with. :P As a woman, I was annoyed by many things in the drama - not least of them the last episode when she goes back to him and stays with him even after he says he would've divorced her if her mother asked him to - but at the end of the day, they're telling a story for the sake of telling a story, they're not trying to fit a story to satisfy a checklist of feminist or humanitarian characteristics. Women can be bitchy, the best of friends fight over men and sometimes single mothers try to slave it out without the support of friends - you might not like it, but that's as much of a real story as an unmarried aunt supporting her orphaned nieces.
Samia
Mar 05, 2012 07:06pm
i agree with you....totally....why she pretends that none of these exist...this is what are society is...and why Khirad kept her mouth shut in the second part of the drama until Ashar read the letter was not being stereotypical but was her personal choice....I have seen so many Khirad like women in our society...innocent, devoted, religious, loving...weak as well as strong...now at least i have found a character to name them with. The article is written in so bad taste and being so judgmental....aiming only at..."why the people like it so much...burst the bubble...burst it"...hurting people with undue and unwanted criticism. Even my 85 years old grandma who would otherwise only watch Geo sat through it. People have been so much entertained!!! The drama served the purpose.
Samia
Mar 05, 2012 07:22pm
seems like people made a big mistake in switching from Indian soaps to Pakistani dramas...i felt really proud that we got our drama audience back...but so many people can't appreciate this aspect...seconding Sarah..."Class divides exist, hysterical women exist, crazy mom in laws exist, unassuming wives exist and husbands who dont communicate well esp in arranged marriages exist. Or would you pretend none of these are in our society and therefore, this drama is a big joke"...why the author pretends that none of these exist...this is what are society is...and why Khirad kept her mouth shut in the second part of the drama until Ashar read the letter was not being stereotypical but was her personal choice....I have seen so many Khirad like women in our society...innocent, devoted, religious, loving...weak as well as strong...now at least i have found a character to name them with. The article is written in so bad taste and being so judgmental....aiming only at..."why the people like it so much...burst the bubble...burst it"...hurting people with undue and unwanted criticism. My younger sister as well as my 85 years old grandma who would otherwise only watch Geo sat through it. People have been so much entertained!!!
ali
Mar 05, 2012 08:10pm
Well my little cousin is so imbued with humsafar that her rational bit is off, i aksed her simple question about the stereotype of dramas we are having nowadays ,'lone son , poor she male cousin , mami hates her, they get married, mami accuses her of having illicit relation , he hates her now , he throws her out of his house and life ' ,,,, wasiey the article is nicely written i love the line "but our perverse obsession with suffering is also another plausible reason for its success".
salma
Mar 05, 2012 09:00pm
I did not like this drama and from the start it had a predictable story, it was dull and dragging, only sara's role brought some excitement to it, such serials have been seen hundreds of times before and gone unnoticed, but perhaps a classy defence, clifton, KDA style setup and sophisticated good looking characters from english private schooled backgrounds made all the difference, which drew the elite more to it, would you have watched it if featured the cast of Yeh Zindagi Hay and in a similar setup as that drama? those who say it was meant to portray this atmoshpere, well it could have been modified to fit a colony life as well, would it have gained as much sucess? I watched the first few episodes just out of curiosity thought it would develop into some interesting urban elite socitey closeted secrets story but it was typical and that Indian soap style twist it took with the mother in law planning the fiasco with khizer was enough for me to get off it, after that I watched it once in a while out of boredom but did not enjoy it one bit, khirad's immpeccable english pronunciation for a paindu girl was most annoying, aspect for me, women were only awed seeing fawad and probably imagining themselves in place of khirad or sara, by the way I have been in sara like situation in real, but despite that I felt no sympathy for her character, though I can say its not easy to let go and move on for many people who outwardly appear brave but are very sensitive inside. All in all a silly overhyped drama catering to bored aunties and girls of the private english schooled class, but this private english schooled gal did not fall for it.
salma
Mar 05, 2012 09:23pm
jehanzeb, it was aired on saturday when most indian dramas are taking the weekend off.
Mariam
Mar 06, 2012 02:59am
In Humsafar, Fawad Khan and Mahira aare two beautiful people set in an aesthetically pleasing surrounding and a powerful original score. However, the story was typical and unoriginal. Furthermore, it was frustrating to watch khirad not stand up for herself. I doubt majority of Pakistani women are encouraged to be highly assertive but come onnn...really? I only watched a few episodes and the reason i kept going back to it was due to nothing more than Fawad khan's and Mahira's pretty faces :P I had high hopes when i discovered Atiqa odho was playing the mum, but after watching one episode, i realized her script made her appear less talented than she really is. Her acting was not reminiscent of what we've seen from her in the early to mid 90s. i still have a lot to catch up on but i admit, im only watching it because everyone looks pretty and spruced up :). Shehnaz Sheikh's and Marina Khan's characters in dramas like tanhaiyan and dhoop kinaray were realistic, endearing and complex. When i need a true pakistani drama fix, ill be shuffling through my dvd collection to spend a sunday afternoon appreciating good acting by watching one of those instead.
zka
Mar 06, 2012 05:28am
With all due respect, I have to disagree with your views regarding Humsafar. I began watching this drama at my mother's insistence and I have not looked back. One of the main reasons why I enjoyed this drama was because of Khirad's character, she is such a strong woman, so noble, upright and full of self respect. Yes she wears a duppatta/chaddar but I did not judge her on that basis. Khirad is an educated young woman, a BSC in maths and physics. She even sets out to pursue a masters in applied maths after her marriage and is the star pupil. After being thrown out of the house, she brings up her daughter by herself. Circumstances force her to foresake her pride and come back to her husband but she has no intention of staying. Even after his apologies to her, she does not succumb like a "desi" heroine, she questions her husband. There were so many positive messages coming out of this drama: the importance of trust, communication between husband and wife, truthfullness, humility, faith in God (done so subtlety) and the list could go on. As for suffering, it is not only the women who suffer in this drama but the man as well. Life is not a bed of roses for anyone. It is life's struggles that make us stronger. Human nature is and will always remain the same. That is why we continue to read classics such as Pride and Prejudice and War and Peace. Sarmat and his ENTIRE TEAM (especially the cast), including QB, have given us a masterpiece. Humsafar is a brilliant production mashallah and I am one proud Pakistani today! Please give the audience a little credit, I don't think we are so immature that we would classify Humsafar as your average televised "womans weekly". Its not only the women of all ages who are watching this but the men as well!
Samreen
Mar 06, 2012 04:22pm
An excellent article Sabahat. A rational critique of the so-called television's renaissance in Pakistan. What happened to depicting a normal human being with varying shades of character rather than stereotypical blacks and whites? Why is it considered so normal in the serial that Khirad wastes five years of life; neither divorced nor committed to her husband without any bit of internal conflict or tension, neither any need for companionship; emotional, physical or sexual? Its a pity we promote such inhuman attitudes on national, mass-endorsed television channels.
Samreen
Mar 06, 2012 04:32pm
That compere was Tariq Aziz as that's his signature sentence.
Amna
Mar 06, 2012 06:09pm
Kudos to you Sabahat, you have nailed it. Humsafar had a lot of potential with a such a talented cast however, they ran it down to the sewers with the typical indian movie storyline that I for one run away from. After watching Humsafar I went back to plays such as Dhoop Kinaray, Tanhayan & Parosi that supported ideas such as Independence of women, right of adoption, equlity in marriage, etc. More than 10 years later, this play is re-iterating backward and patriarchal notions. I do hope that TV plays regain their viewership but if its through plays like Humsafar then I hope not!
Bilal Hashim Siddiqi
Mar 07, 2012 12:15am
you gave words to what i had in my mind lady.
MONA
Mar 07, 2012 12:31pm
I only watched the drama because of good looks of Fawad (Ashar in the drama) and also enjoyed the zananapan of khizar . there was nothing else to enjoy in the drams, as it was a very typical story where women is so mazloom (pathetic way of depicting a Pakistani women though!!!)
kamaljit Singh
Mar 07, 2012 01:46pm
Thanks Mohtarma Samreen : Yes,Where he is now working. Any program conducted by him that I can watch now. Please let me know. O An other artist we miss is Nizzamudin of Radio Lahore in a program meant for farmers. Any cue.
rija
Mar 08, 2012 09:55am
AS a WOMAN, I actually liked this drama BECAUSE the main heroin was a strong willed woman with self respect, still she was intelligent and wise enough to know and understand WHAT needs to be done and why. This article is quite silly
Rehana Kazi
Mar 09, 2012 09:22am
ok, first of all, it is a DRAMA....not a religious or societal talk show....it was supposed to be meant for entertainment.... no one forced any one to watch this show to make it popular....the viewers had made the choice themselves.....just because people chose to watch a beautifully directed love story doesn't mean they supported Sara/Farida and they believed people like Sara/Farida are sane .... I agree there was nothing unique about the concept, it is an usual story, BUT the way it was executed PLUS the chemistry of the main leads took the cake.... if you really wanna do something good for the society/country, then go ahead do it....throwing trash at others' success will not gain you any good to the society/country..... this show became the lime light because people LOVED it, not because people HATED it.....
Enjoy Life
Mar 12, 2012 09:31am
Kudos to the writer - wouldn't consider a melodrama - a resonance of reality and responsibility even in terms of religion!
Gerardo
Mar 15, 2012 11:11am
Hamsafar is a very hit and awesf5me drama..! I'm the big fan of Fawad Khan & Mahira Khan ! I tried to call on jago pakistan jago but.. unklcuily love you fawad