Dawn News

An American in Pakistan

The kidnapping ten days ago of American development worker Warren Weinstein prompts this week’s column. I don’t know anything about the man except what I’ve read in news reports but, as an American who has spent a lot of time in Pakistan, I feel a personal stake in this story and a compulsion to reflect on my own philosophy of travel and, for that matter, of life.

A National Public Radio report aired Saturday quotes Usman Khan, an economics lecturer at LUMS who has worked with Weinstein, saying: “His favorite quote would have been, ‘It’s just being at the wrong place at the wrong time.’ He said any local is equally facing danger as he is. He always looked very comfortable with what he was doing and the way he was doing it.”

Come to think of it, I couldn’t put it any better than that. For many years now, I’ve endured conversations with my fellow Americans in which they marvel at my willingness to spend time in countries they consider dangerous, not only but especially Pakistan. Such conversations are tiresome and exasperating, but I’ve trained myself to respond patiently and tactfully, to try to bring the truth home with a spoonful of sugar rather than a sledgehammer. I say what I believe: that if I wanted to be completely safe, I wouldn’t get out of bed in the morning.

Americans are infamously timid about foreign travel, and I see it as part of my role as a traveling American writer to show other Americans that the outside world is both interesting enough and, with extended exposure, normal and familiar enough, that any danger is almost beside the point. Lines on maps notwithstanding, the truth is that there are no borders in this world; we’re all in it together. None of us are entitled to absolute security, and in any case security is antithetical to freedom. You can’t really have both, and I prefer freedom. And freedom isn’t something the powers that be can or will give you; it’s something each of us has to claim for him- or herself.

So I endorse and share Weinstein’s attitude. If I didn’t, I would have stayed home in Wisconsin, a provincial and largely rural state that’s known as “America’s Dairyland.” I respect the people I grew up with who did make that choice – I know that the choice I made is unusual and costly – but I think it’s worth noting that this year Wisconsin has become an epicenter of America’s political crisis. You can stay at home and still find yourself in the thick of things.

Weinstein’s point as cited by Usman Khan, that “any local is equally facing danger as he is,” deserves to be specially appreciated. To the extent that there is danger in Pakistan – and there certainly is – many Pakistanis are much closer to it from day to day than most Americans or other Westerners, even those who travel or live in Pakistan. I find myself remembering a conversation with Mohammed Faisal, a young man I met at a Pepsi Cup one-day cricket match between Pakistan and South Africa at Gaddafi Stadium in 2003. New Zealand Cricket had given individual players the option of staying home, rather than touring Pakistan. One could understand their point of view: It must have shaken the players, and their families back home, when a suicide bomber had killed fourteen people the year before outside their hotel in Karachi.

On the other hand, was it a proper cricket series between two national teams if fans in major cities were unable to attend matches, or if top players from one team didn’t take part? And Pakistanis lived daily with the fact of bomb blasts. Why shouldn’t New Zealanders, especially those who had chosen a public role as international cricketers – as I, for example, have chosen a public role as a writer – live with it as well?

“This kind of thing makes Pakistan seem like a dangerous country,” said Mohammed Faisal. “Bangladesh toured recently, and it was entirely peaceful. They are human beings too. To say they will not come as white men is not a good gesture. They are raising it to the level of a political gesture.”

We’re all involved in politics whether we like it or not, especially these days, so it behooves us to take care what gestures we make. My preferred political gesture is to act on my belief that most people in all countries either wish me well or aren’t interested in me one way or another (either is fine with me), and to express my refusal to live in fear through my writing and public speaking.

There’s more to be said on this topic, but before ending for now I think it’s necessary to note the elephant in the room: that Weinstein is Jewish. If that fact is in any way related to his abduction, or to some Pakistanis’ attitudes toward it or him, then that should be occasion for much soul-searching in the Pakistani national conversation. I invest a lot of my time and credibility in urging Americans not to judge or mistreat Pakistanis because of their religious, national, or ethnic identity. I hope it goes without saying (though I guess I’ll go ahead and say it anyway) that I hope to see analogous forbearance and humanity from Pakistanis.

Ethan Casey is the author of Alive and Well in Pakistan and Overtaken By Events: A Pakistan Road Trip. He can be reached at www.facebook.com/ethancaseyfans and www.ethancasey.com

Email news tips and feedback to News Desk, submit blogs to Blog Desk and share photos and Videos with Special Projects Desk.

Zain Zafar
Aug 23, 2011 12:53pm
Very non-biased fair article. Beautiful approach
Omar Ayub Khan
Aug 23, 2011 01:21pm
I have worked with Warren in Pakistan since 2004. There are very few people as dedicated to their work as Warren. We met for lunch 3 months ago and he told me that his family had requested him to spend more time with them. His achievements in Pakistan are significant and he should be proud of them. We are all proud of him. He never hesitated to change peoples lives for the better. My hope and prayers are with him and his family. My appeal to his captors is - Let him go, for the sake of humanity. Warren looking forward to seeing you again at one of your favourite food haunts. Omar Ayub Khan
Ali
Aug 23, 2011 02:07pm
Whether he is Jewish or not is irrelevant, most people in Pakistan wouldn't have known anyways, we can't tell by Western people's names what religion they are. I hope he is released soon, safe and well. I know some Americans do a lot of good in Pakistan, but as the situation deteriorates and trust has all but gone maybe Americans can do good without actually coming to Pakistan. Its hard for people to trust them and other foreigners especially since the MSF case, so can you just imagine how our paranoid security services will be?
Sania
Aug 23, 2011 02:22pm
I do hope the kidnapped American gets back safe and well. As for this article... well while the American government continues to interfere and destablise countries around the world it's citizens can hardly expect to feel welcome or safe anywhere... that's life I'm afraid.
Srafi
Aug 23, 2011 02:38pm
Ethan, it's not if you are in just as much danger as a local Pakistani in Pakistan but if you are in just as much danger as a local Wisconsin native in Wisconsin. Either way, your approach is unbiased and commendable.
Salahuddin Ahmad
Aug 23, 2011 02:53pm
well said sania, good on you. whereas we don't hate the American people we loath the American establishment whose hands are soaking in blood, I am afraid if history is anything to go by then they will pay as well in the same coin.
Navid
Aug 23, 2011 03:28pm
Being a human being, I hope Warren is safe and that he'll return to his family sooner. No question about this. I find it amazing how can we say that ignore the fact that he is Jewish! Have you ever asked sentiments about Jews? I won't say there is much hatred against foreigners in a common man; but A LOT if you are Jewish, sadly. But can we not see it when it comes to foreign people in their own countries treating Muslims-Pakistani's COLLECTIVELY? You just mention that you are from Pakistan and people freaks out.... seriously they do, I find it irritating but sometimes feels like we are super-(negative)-humans :) An American+Jew in Pakistan; please do not take it as a joke but we Pakistani's really are threatened when we hear this; especially when we are in Pakistan. And all of us Pakistani's and those who are not DO understand it why. Yet again, I hope Warren returns safe and also that we all stay safe. from drones, plots, divides and rules, political struggles and all other such benefits of modern world!
Nusrat Sohail
Aug 23, 2011 03:33pm
It is unfortunate that people who really want to bring a change have to suffer the consequences of it. Warren could have stayed in America where it was safe for him like many of his colleagues. I pray for his safety like I pray for the safety of my fellow Pakistanis living in that unmanageable wild kingdom which we call 'Pakistn'. I pray and wish for the return of those glorious days of Pakistan when we used to share with our young ones the real meaning of 'Pakistan' as "The land of Purity'. Lately we all know that the real 'Pak Land' is being lost in the massive killings of its inhabitants. This reminds me of 'French Revolution' when common people were massacred for bringing a change. But a few questions to ponder are; if someone is dead how will the change help them? Is it worth loosing life for a cause someone is not sure about? Also even if the cause is clear but not achievable, is it worth risking not only your life but also jeopardizing your family's safety?
Ahmad Mushtaque
Aug 23, 2011 04:04pm
Nothing can justify kidnapping of a civilian, this kidnapping is politically motivated, we know people are not kidnapped in this in our country. kidnappers forced their way into the house. we really wish to see him back safe to his home.
Anil Sharma
Aug 23, 2011 04:07pm
Some people take risks, others avoid risks if known in advance. All places are not equally risky. In ones own neighbourhood, one is forced to face the risks. The rest is a matter of choice.
zaman
Aug 23, 2011 04:59pm
As long as America is interfering in Pakistan and other countries, peace and security is getting deteriorated in the world. why don't America sit home and think about its own security rather than creating problems all over the world. Raymond Davis killed two pakistanis, got away with it... drone strikes -- no body cares, bomb blasts -- nobody cares........ but when it comes to American then you are beating the drums of HUMANITY.... Killing millions of people throughout the world .. .where is humanity..
Tariq
Aug 23, 2011 05:23pm
Speak for yourself buddy. You obviously don't know anything about America except for propaganda by the Mullahs you apparently accept at face value. If things are so bad for Pakistanis living in America, why is there a 12 year waiting period for Green Cards? You are merely trying to find excuses for your own intolerance, bigotry and racism by telling yourself that everybody thinks the same way. You are living in denial my friend. Wake up and smell the coffee.
Shaukat USA
Aug 23, 2011 05:50pm
It is very sad to see how we treat people who are trying to help us. We Pakistanis have done this to Chinese, Turks, and other ethinic groups. Moral degradation and intolerence, thanks to Zia. I hope Pakistan does not become another Ethiopia. It is not the same Pakistan that I left in 1970. What is encouraging is to see comments from the public in your column asking the captors to release him.
Falcon
Aug 23, 2011 05:58pm
It really takes heart to be in the shoes of Warren. It’s unfortunate what happened. We really pray for his safety, regardless of the religion he belongs from. However, it must be noted that based on the track of all human history that it is us the common people who can and should fight for each other. Nation states are good for nothing except war and looking at reality through their prism is a recipe for disaster of mankind.
Tahir
Aug 23, 2011 06:16pm
According to the Punjab Govt Law Minister, this person was doing the same job as what Raymond Davies did. So make up your own judgement chaps.
Bangash
Aug 23, 2011 07:21pm
Mr Weinstein was a very brave and humane man, to come to a dangerous country like Pakistan and try to help its citizens.
khan in usa
Aug 23, 2011 08:02pm
Sorry to say, but it is your kind of thinking that gives everybody a bad name. Please wake up, it was not me or any other person of Pakistani heritage who was trying to help Pakistanis, and you bring his religion in to this. I think he is a better jew than alot of Muslims.
asif
Aug 23, 2011 08:03pm
Great article. My best wishes with Warren and with everybody else who is trying to do anything for Pakistanis. Much better than me who has escaped from the country just for a good life.
BRR
Aug 23, 2011 08:08pm
Ethan makes several errors in judgement when he claims that the locals suffer the same dangers and consequences, and hence it is no bigger deal for a foreigner: a) the locals have no choice despite the higher levels of risks inherent in staying in Pakistan b) the locals created this situation and are often part of the problem c) the foreigner who comes in is often aware of the dangers and signs up t the task, but it does not lessen his risks - in fact he is often marked based on his passport of entry or color of his skin or the clothes he wears - he just cannot blend into the crowds all the time.
sami
Aug 23, 2011 08:40pm
what happen to a Muslim country,where people used to be more religious 20years ago then they are today but 20years ago,american & western tourist used to walk free & safe on every road & every mountain of Pakistan but today,they need blackwater or security guard to walk or live safe.This is the question they need to ask them self & most of them should know the answers.when you don't apply laws of humanity on others,sooner or later you fall in your own trap of self created lawlessness.
Advocate Noshab A. K
Aug 23, 2011 09:05pm
This is the age of information we are living in, we could certainly do without the variety in `factual` versions that are often bandied about to describe one event and one situation. Take Raymond David, we know he is an American accused of killing two young men in a shootout in Lahore, with the ensuing panic resulting in the death of another Pakistani youngster. This argument is yet ongoing whether he is a diplomat or not, and about the motive behind the shooting. But few things can be sorted out right now in the interests of clarity. As reiterated in the preceding paragraph that this scarcity of correct information is causing immense hardships. It is emphatically suggested that all necessary measures should be taken to safeguard the life of Warren Weinstein in the greatest interest of our own country’s image. It is further suggested that, in future, it must be made mandatory that all the foreigners must supply necessary information to security agencies of Pakistan qua their duties and functions, their whereabouts, movements and designs, nature of their duties, etc. Furthermore, at the same time this negligence of foreigners, like Warren Weinstein of not providing necessary information, does not absolve the government not to take all the necessary measures to safeguard the precious life and property of the foreigners and the countrymen. Advocate Noshab A. Khan
habib
Aug 23, 2011 10:06pm
very well said sania and Salahuddin.
Junaid K
Aug 23, 2011 10:09pm
Worst comment ever. The people who kidnap and kill the people who are helping Pakistan rebuild are Pakistan's enemies. Wake up Zaman. When will you see that people you are protecting are not your friends. 100 people killed in Karachi in 1 week, that is not external issue, thats internal issue and blaming everything that happens to Pakistan on India, US and Isreal will not help you my friend. Take responsibility and tell the kidnappers to release all victims. Take control of your streets Mr Zaman.
habib
Aug 23, 2011 10:12pm
Thankyou Mr Zaman, you said it all.
bilal ahmed
Aug 23, 2011 11:43pm
gr8 to see people asking about the kidnapped american in pakistan... lots of comments by my dear pakistanis... gr8 to see love for humanity knowing no ethnicity, religion or nationality... But wait where are the concerns when innocent people r killed by drone attacks ( remember innocent till proven guilty ..not my saying... WEst say this) i like to see people (especially my fellow pakistanis) voicing for them not because they r pakistanis but because they r humans...alas they r humans !!
Ovais
Aug 23, 2011 11:47pm
How do u expect compassion from people whose homes had been torched by drone attacks whose lively hood had died just because they opposed american occupation of afghanistan and american agendas in pakistan. Pakistani's are emotional people and religious too and if you touch one of our sisters the pain is widespread and equally shared. And yes sir we do know the kind of security americans living in Pakistan enjoy even that kidnapped guy. I am sorry 1000 have died in pakistan in a month whats the big deal if that one is an american .
Tahir Rizvi
Aug 24, 2011 12:09am
It is very sad to see that Pakistan has become a dangerous place for both citizens and visitors. Pakistan used to be a tolerant, friendly, peaceful and hospitable place but it has gradually deteriorated into a non-tolerant and hostile place. It is time that we all look into the mirror and ask ourselves as to why we have changed so fast and so soon. We cannot even demonstrate or express our democratic rights of approval or disapproval in peace without burning few vehicles, burning few tires, breaking some glass windows and destroying some public property. If we all become violent and disorderly there is no Government in the world which can afford to maintain a police force to control each and every one of us. Every country in the world has its share of criminal and violent people but it seems we sure have a “lot of them” now than we ever did before. Please do not blame Government alone since we all are as much to be blamed for the situation we are in.
tanweer
Aug 24, 2011 12:58am
Lets not blame ZIA. He is dead and yes did a lot of bad for the country during his watch. But what is happening today is being done by us.
Zed
Aug 24, 2011 01:28am
If a Pakistani was kidnapped in the USA, would it have made similar headlines? Such is the characteristic of globalisation that people from different countries live in countries other than those of their origin- and could get killed in an accident there, be victim of a crime, etc. However it appears that when something bad happens to a foreign national in Pakistan, that the entire country, all of 180million people of Pakistan are blamed, as if that event represents how every Pakistani would behave in a particular circumstance. What motivated people to kidnap Warren is really secondary, except that it may shine some light on the thought process of the kidnappers and kidnappers only. The remaining circa 179.999 million people have got nothing to do with this. Americans/Brits /people from other nationalities die as a result of crimes in Sao Paolo, Johannesburg, Goa, Thailand. etc, what is different about this kidnapping?
Jabran
Aug 24, 2011 05:48am
Zaman, The subject of this article is a human being that has been kidnapped. This particular human being happened to be involved in development projects inside Pakistan. He did not kill any Pakistanis, conducted a drone strike or planted bombs anywhere (our own citizens happen to be good enough at that thank you very much!). He was not even out as you put, 'beat any drums of HUMANITY'. Please don't try to make Pakistanis look like we are heartless, thankless people that have forgotten what this man was trying to do to help us. Have you forgotten how America helped Pakistan with the 2006 earthquake? Have you so conveniently forgotten how it was their helicopters that ferried our stranded/injured populace all over the country? You think they would do that if they didn't care? Where is YOUR humanity?
nys11105@yahoo.com
Aug 24, 2011 05:52am
Nothing justifies kidnapping of a civilian no matter what the cause. we all wish Warren's safe return to his family and home. This has also happened to many Pakistanis for ransom. But it should not happen to guests like Warren - who are there to help
Abubakar Sadique
Aug 24, 2011 06:21am
He sincerely sought to help a nation in need. He put so much trust in the people of Pakistan that contrary to advice he was not afraid to go and help and live among them. He was proven wrong at the end. It is sad when trust is broken by an evil act of those you helped. I sure hope his captors have a religion and a conscience.
Razi
Aug 24, 2011 06:21am
I personally know Warren Weinstein. Actually he is very kind, Dare, Peace loving and caring. I pray for his safe release. His accomplishment s in Pakistan are considerable and We are all proud of him. i want to met him on that day just after the maghrib prayer. but this thing happend and i was totally out of control when i see this news after seven days of his kidnapped on sunday. we pray for his safe release. people who work for good and innovation have to face so many problems. when ever i think abou Warren Weinstein my eyes are full of tears and i can not explain my feelings here in words. In general he is a man of dignity, man of devotion, man of dedication and principle. He was in poor health and neeed medication for his asthma and heart. i pray for his good health and safe release. we proud of you my Friend.
Tariq
Aug 24, 2011 07:09am
Unfortunately, i hardly see any reason why westerner's specially US citizens are seen suspicious. It because USA present and past policies and the way they are conducting their INTEREST in Pakistan is now a talk of the Town. The Fake Vaccination Program in abbotabad and even DG ISI claim the CIA paying thousands of dollars to informants. Every week we see in news that SUV's traveling suspiciously in around Pakistan with disregard of local laws and up on interception one can find Americans in disgiuse sitting with such arrogance that they talk to local security personnel even didn't show their indentity and paermits. They even don't bother to down their car glasses. Recently they nearly missed in running down police in KPK. If anyone wanted to blame Pakistan, should take a through analysis of their own affairs. Nobody in Pakistan had any objection to any one coming in Pakistan for Genuine or Humanitarian or any peaceful reasons. But whole things has been so messed up from outside as well inside power brokers, that distinguishing good people from bad is very difficult.
Ali
Aug 24, 2011 07:25am
Good point Ethan. I wish more people thought like you. Politics aside, we all have much more in common than we have in differences. Here's hoping Warren gets back to his family safe and sound.
Raghu
Aug 24, 2011 07:38am
In this age, to have this kind of bigotry is just un-understandable. This kind of comment is the outcome of years of brainwashing that the entire non-muslim world is against Pakistan. Inspite of the attacks that happen within & originate from Pakistan, the rest of the world has been quite tolerant and helpful. You can say that the rest of the world started it but then that is a never ending argument. Even if they are wrong, what is happening in Pak today, does not make it right just as two wrongs cannot make a right.
Shakeel.Quddus
Aug 24, 2011 08:06am
No one is more acutely aware than the abductors that they are wrestling with an idea represented by the man now abducted. He has dared to represent an idea--a lethal and a dangerous idea, by the way-- of a free, liberal and democratic Pakistan--a secular state the Founder Mr. Jinnah had dreamed of. On the other hand, the abductors stand for an idea of a theocratic state. This make-belive theocratic state would be run by a benovolent ruler in the outfit of a caliph with an so-called Ummah consist of simple men and women of faith. The pre-requisite of such a state in the making is to create a chaos and anarchy a.k.a. "Hobbsian chaos." Once the Hobbsian chaos is the norm, the normal craving would be to establish the rule of law. Nothing is more tempting than to establish the laws of the faith. After all who wishes the anarchy. And why not win both--the world and the heaven--in a single shot? Utterly bullet proof. Except that, if history is the guide, they are on a losing side no matter how many abductions take place.
NK
Aug 24, 2011 09:58am
Two wrongs do not make it a right!! What the US foreign policy is doing is one thing but to kidnap is another thing. We all know that the USA does not stand on a high moral ground when it comes to Iraq, bombing s of civillians in Afghanistan or collateral damages of surgical strikes by drones. Do we need to stoop to the same level? I hope not!!! No American civillina should be harmed while working or staying in Pakistan. Most of them are genuinely here to help us.
Syed Manzer
Aug 24, 2011 10:03am
Why are you saying "We Pakistanis have done this..." when such actions are not supported by Pakistani people? Can you blame the entire nation for the action of a handful of people? Plus all this mess we are currently in can't be blamed on Zia he has been dead for two decades. There were no such kidnappings during his era. Much of the current problems of Pakistan are really a result of misguided policies of the previous government which the current government is continuing.
NK
Aug 24, 2011 10:05am
I am gald that you had the decency and the guts to write what you did. Like you I also beleive that many Americans are genuine in their effortd to help Pakistanis. It is very unfortunate that the US governement has created such a mistrust of Americans globally. I hope that Warren returns back safely to his family.
Ali
Aug 24, 2011 11:27am
Your starting phrase is "Being a Human Being"... right? So when are you becoming a 'Human being' and gains tolerance that other humans may have other religion/ no religion, race, color, language, nationality.. and an equal right to live? Will you just ponder on that? before commenting anything about crooked mind of your own... and stereotyping all other Pakistanis with that...
Ali
Aug 24, 2011 11:32am
but ofcourse, we wouldn't be in this current state of ours, if our minds have been not-so-crooked collectively...
Muhammad Imran Chaud
Aug 24, 2011 12:23pm
I agree with the writer. One can hope that people who are stronger than x-army commandos will take care of Mr. Weinstein considering results of interrogation with him. Honestly speaking, an American is safer in Pakistan than an ordinary Pakistani – the street robbers and killers know the extent of agencies-chase in case they are involved in a US national and Pakistani national. US nationals enjoy full support of their embassy in Pakistan while for a common Pakistani there is no one to listen. The US embassy is much more influential in Pakistan than people to whom an ordinary Pakistani knows when caught in crisis.
Awais Khan
Aug 24, 2011 12:34pm
There is no sense of security left in the country for anyone, whether they are Pakistanis or foreigners.
Prof Fawad Khawaja
Aug 24, 2011 08:44pm
I worked with him for about a year as external linkage rep from University of Gujrat to help Sialkot Sports Sector development, Recently at the end of his contract, he was trying so much to get another contract so he doesn't have to leave for ever. He wanted to stay and help more industries to explore foreign markets for them. I have not seen even one Pakistani as dedicated to help industries etc. as Mr Weinstein. Hope he goes home soon
Americangal
Aug 24, 2011 11:20pm
'while the American government continues to interfere and destablise countries around the world it’s citizens can hardly expect to feel welcome or safe anywhere… that’s life I’m afraid." So it is. I suppose that when you're turned down for a tourist visa or permanent residency in a Western country you'll remember that this point of view cuts both ways. As long as Pakistan continues to spiral into chaos and religious extremism and sends terrorists into India to blow up the Parliament and go on killing sprees in major cities, Western countries will continue to think twice before allowing Pakistanis entry. And that's very depressing.
Abdullah Hussain
Aug 25, 2011 07:22am
It is quite unfortunate that the situation in Pakistan has been modified in a way where it becomes convenient for all to point finger towards Pakistan. Pakistan was never the way it is now. Who is to be blamed for this scenario? Why Pakistan is confronted with all sort of negative activities of others. An American kills two young Pakistanis in broad daylight in Pakistan; the blame is showered on the two unfortunate youths of being a danger to the American. In my opinion the Jr. Bush theory of either you side with me or I consider you as an enemy is the main reason of all problems facing Pakistan today. Pakistan was dragged into a war that never belonged to it. Pakistan has given more sacrifices of men & materials than even America. A false polio vaccine campaign was launched thus playing with the lives of hundreds of innocent babies; America wants the doctor responsible given a farewell flower bouquets. I am never in favour of kidnapping or killing of anyone, what we as Pakistanis want is a chance to live our life rather than the way proposed by others. America is interfering too much in Pakistan’s affairs; the sooner it realizes this the better it will be for all. Let this post appear for all to read.
Abdullah Hussain
Aug 25, 2011 07:37am
What opinion have you formed about the 76 years jail terms of Dr. Afia Siddique?
abdullah hussain
Aug 25, 2011 07:58am
Courtesy Drone Attacks. Do you think the affected will shower rose petals
Selina
Aug 25, 2011 01:51pm
For some reason, I hadn't even seen the elephant in the room. I don't get the feeling that Weinstein's kidnap has to do with him being Jewish. I get the feeling it's a ransom. No less terrifying for him and his loved ones. I cannot begin to imagine what they are going through and pray that he is found safe and soon.
Blitzer
Sep 02, 2011 07:09pm
Our hopes and prayers are with Mr. Weinstein's family for his safe and speedy recovery. The majority of Pakistanis with half a brain very much appreciate the contributions of foreign aid workers and development experts who invest tremendous amount of time and energy in making Pakistan a better place to live in. Here's to wishing that Mr. Weinstein is safely recovered soon.