CCPO Quetta Dawood Ahmad Junejo addressing a press conference at his office on Thursday. – Online Photo

QUETTA: The run of events that led to the killing of five Chechens two days ago became foggier on Thursday after the police chief of Quetta claimed that they had died because of a bomb explosion and not in shooting by law enforcement agencies. “The five Chechens were not killed in firing by security personnel, but in a bomb explosion,” Daud Junejo said at a press conference. He also denied that he was present at the scene of the incident. On Tuesday the police chief had said he was present at the place, telling media that the five “suicide bombers were shot dead by security personnel”. Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Aslam Raisani has ordered an inquiry into the killing, asking the provincial chief secretary to set up a team within 24 hours and submit a report in 10 days.

The joint investigation team will comprise officials from police, levies and intelligence agencies, Mr Raisani said.

Mustafa Khokhar, adviser to the Prime Minister on human rights, has also ordered an investigation and asked the federal interior secretary to submit a report “immediately”.

On Thursday police took into custody an assistant sub-inspector and other police personnel who reportedly had sent the message on wireless about the entry of a vehicle carrying foreigners, misguiding the Frontier Corps.

In the press conference, the Quetta CCPO said five mobile phones, two diaries, 48 fuses, seven detonators, a computer disc and CDs were recovered from the alleged suicide bombers. “Police have also seized eight Russian passports of the Chechen suspects,” he said, adding that four teams headed by senior police officers had been set up for arresting “two accomplices” of the dead Chechens. “They will be arrested soon,” he said.

Daud Junejo further said the driver of the vehicle which brought the suspects to Killi Khezi from Kuchlak, an area on the outskirts of Quetta, was also in police custody. “Police are interrogating the driver,” he said, adding that sketches of the two missing Chechens had been released.

The sketches were prepared with the help of witnesses.

A doctor at the Bolan Medical Collage Hospital Complex attributed the Chechens’ death to bullet injury.


Do you have information you wish to share with Dawn.com? You can email our News Desk to share news tips, reports and general feedback. You can also email the Blog Desk if you have an opinion or narrative to share, or reach out to the Special Projects Desk to send us your Photos, or Videos.

More From This Section

Comments (0) Closed