KARACHI: Senior leader of Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and former minister for ports and shipping Babar Ghori has denied involvement in the alleged disappearance of 19,000 containers carrying arms from ports during his tenure as minister.
“It’s ridiculous,” he said about the allegation while talking to reporters at the airport on Saturday.
“One can’t even imagine releasing a single container without the permission of all agencies present at the ports. The FBR (Federal Board of Revenue) enjoys authority for releasing containers after all due formalities.”
Director General of Rangers Maj-Gen Rizwan Akhtar submitted in the Supreme Court that about 19,000 containers carrying arms and vehicles had gone missing a few years ago and it must be pointed out who was at the helm of affairs in the ports and shipping ministry at that time.
The Supreme Court later set up a one-man commission to find out whether arms and ammunition were brought or smuggled through the sea and suggest measures to stop it.
Mr Ghori said he would face every investigation and that as minister he did not go beyond the set rules.
He said the DG Rangers in a statement had already denied that he did not mention his name or anyone’s role in the disappearance of the containers.